Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

My tags for my car have expired. how long do i have to renew?
Find answers to your legal question.

My tags for my car have expired. how long do i have to renew?

i moved to north carolina from virginia and my tags have expired and i need to know how long do i have to renew them before the police pull me over?

Bearded Rusty Tater ©
If they are expired, the police can pull you over at any time and seize them... leaving you with a large fine and stuck waiting for a tow truck to move your vehicle !!

Marc
You do not have a "grace period". They are expired and you are in violation. You can receive a ticket at any time if you drive the vehicle. Have a friend take you to the tag office and get the replacements asap.

oklatom
No time whatsoever. Once tags are expired, they are expired. Some states will not add on a penalty until 30 days have gone by, but again, once expired you can be ticketed. In most states you can renew up to 30 days in advance, so you have plenty of time to get it done.

Dan A
you should go to the DMV ASAP to reduce the possibility of being pulled over. It could be a major fine.

autosellingmaster
Rating
First if they are expired the police can pull you over at anytime. Most cops will only issue a warning until you are past 10 days expired. If you do get pulled over explain what happened and hopefully they will cut you some slack. If they ticket you it will be around a $100 or so fine in N.C. if you are back in Virginia it is around $160 I believe. I have lived in both..

kelly l
Rating
you have no time at all you can go to jail for driving on expired plates and have your car impounded are you ready for all the added expense because of laziness

kneedeepkz650
they are expired arent they?what a stupid question,renew them already,unless you didnt realize it your insurance is no longer good anymore either,they dont have to cover anything that happens now because its not registered.

Edward L
I think after you move to a different state you have 60 days to change them over, but once they are expired thats it. you need to go renew them

James E
As long as it is on your property you don't need tags . if it is parked on a public street NOW if you don't want a ticket or even towed

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Exactly how do I get my driver's license in California?
I am 15 and a half and I live in California. I don't know where to begin. Can someone please give me all the steps towards getting my driver's license? Where do I start? Please help. I will ...

What to do. Hit by someone without insurance?
I was hit by a gentleman. He ran a red light, and was cited for failure to yeild, and the accident report stated that he was at fualt. He gave insurance at the time, but now that I have called his ...

Do drivers license points transfer from one state's license to another?
I've got a few points on my NJ license and want to know if I move to Tennessee will those points carry over or will I have a clean slate?
Additional Details
How the **** do I extend ...

Husband got DUI...Insurance question.?
My husband stupidly got a DUI in March but our insurance still hasn't changed. I'm worried that when we renew our policy it will go up. I co-signed for his truck so I'm technically the ...

Can a provisional driver earn a no claims bonus?
can a provisional driver earn a no claims bonus? if so, what insurance company offers this service?...

What things can a teen do to help lower the cost of car insurance?
I'm 18, and plan on getting my license in about two months. But money is a little tight now at my house, and when my brother got his license on his sixteenth birthday (two years ago) the car ...

If I have full insurance on my car, am I covered if I drive a car that does not have insurance?
Also, if I get pulled over, can I go to jail or am I ok with the insurance I already have? Its just a temporary (a few days) thing.......my car is broken down and I am borrowing a friends car to go ...

Car insurance question?
So I had car insurance with alliance and leicester, it was rubbish from the start and i had loads of trouble with it, so they agreed to cancel it from the 13th, i arranged some more insurance and ...

I hit a car and the owner agreed to accept a cash payment. He later filled with his insurance company.?
The insurance want the money they paid from me. What should I do?...

Car insurance for teenagers?
Is there any teenagers (MALE) who have got a quote for less than £600 with 1 years no claims bonus? If so, which insurance company is it with? The prices im getting are insane! I live in the UK....

Will the insurance company give him a new car?
My brother got into an accident last night in his friends' car. He tried to swerve and avoid hitting a car, but he swerved into another car and the other car hit a parked car. The owner of the ...

My husband was in an accident last night, Thank God no one was hurt?
My truck is probably totaled. I have no other car now, my question is how long will it take to collect so I can purchase another car? The accident was on a Saturday night....

Can u have two car insurance policies in your name?

What is the best way to go? car insurance for young driver?
Im 16 years old and still on my learners for drivers licenses and currently purchasing a car!
What is the cheapest and easiest way to go about getting car insurance and rego.
do i put it in ...

I am trading in a car that i still owe on. the dealer asked me for the title. shouldn't the lender have that?

Husband got rearended in IN our insurance lapsed. What will happen. Will the other party have to pay for it?
Husband was stopped turning into gas station and a guy rearended him. Our insurance apparently did not go through I pay online. I did not know it was cancelled until my finance company contacted me....

What happens to you when there was no eyewitnesses during the car accident.?
My dad recently got into accident and he said it's not his fault and that he had the right-of-way... so far, i don't know what's going to happen... so if there was no eye witnesses, ...

This is really ridiculous. Two months ago I totaled a car that I am still financing. I didn't have full?
coverage on it. I want to get this car out of the collision shop and junk it.
Today I heard one of the most ridiculous things- that I can't junk a car that I am still financing, EVEN if I ...

Is insurance still valid if i sell the car, but want to keep the insurance to drive cars not belonging to me?
I have fully comp insurance which enables me to drive any other car not belonging to me (as long as they are insured). My question is if i sell my insured car, and keep the policy running am i ...

My car winshield has a crack, but I've made two claims on my car insurance in the past two years?
Will my insurance go up if I ask to get the glass fixed? I know it's free, but will it still affect my premium? Thanks!...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, April 18, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links