Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

My windshield is cracked.. What should I do?
Find answers to your legal question.

My windshield is cracked.. What should I do?

I just bought a used car last week, March 14th. When I bought it there was a chip in the windshield and on Friday it popped and now there is a big crack. I have comprehensive coverage on my insurance so I know I can get it replaced for free but my dad told me to wait because it will look bad & he is worried my rates will go up. What should I do???

noodles
Rating
Can you call the insurance company and ask them if it will go up? If you are paying to have comprehensive it is a waste if you aren't going to use it.

Trav
I would call your ins rep and check directly with them. No two are the same so it would be best to check with them and then go from there. Only your rep can explain to you exactly what you have covered and don't and how it will effect your rates if it does at all. good luck.

pass her by...
dude, just get it replaced. its your car right?
my sister had her windshield cracked by a rock, the company fixed it a little, but i think her best bet is to get it replaced- as is yours.

mdharshnor
Replace the window...it will not affect your insurance rates.

Amie G
Replace the windshield! If it is bad you can get pulled over by the police!

sunshinegirl
listen to those who have a cracked windshield it was not your fault - call your insurance company- if you bought the car with a chip in the windshield why didn't you ask for them to replace the windshield before you took it off the lot-it wouldn't hurt to ask all they could do is said no, unless u bought it as is!

leroux3s
Rating
most insurance companies consider this an act of nature and your rates don't go up
In florida if you buy a car with a cracked windshield they automatically will cover the cost of replacement for you again no raise in your insurance
you can call the insurance company and see what thet say for FREE
you should tell your dad of the dangers of riding around with a cracked windshield like:
you CAN get ticketed for this
it can collaspe and fall into your lap if the wind hits it right
and what kind of babes can you pick up with a crack in your windshield!!!!

Andy W
the previous posters are correct, a replacement windsheild will not do anything to your rates.
Ive never heard of any insurance companies even giving you hastle over a windsheild fix. The reason why, is because a windsheild is a vital part of the cars structural integrity. If you have a good ws, and you are in a wreck, you could be fine, but put a crack in that ws and get into the same wreck, you could be seriously injured.
$200 vs $50,000 in hospital payments... they are gonna give you the money to fix the window.

Also, not all cracked windsheilds need to be replaced. With todays technology, companies can fix up to a 12" crack, however, if it is directly in your line of site, be sure to tell the insurance company about this. Almost every glass repair will leave a distortion. They force a clear epoxy into the crack, and then polish it to get the general look of the glass. Because it is a different material, its going to show a blemish, and if its in your line of site, you might not be able to drive safely.

yummymummy
Rating
Your rates usually do not go up for a glass claim, I live in Fla and it's free. i've actually ahd it replaced twice.

udrtrat
there are windscreen repair companies. just look in the yellow pages

Pedro S
Rating
go to glass man/girl...pay cash...very cheap. they wanted 250 dollars . i said cash thew did irt for 125 with no insurance... the whole insurance system is a rip off.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why is my car valued as worthless by my insurance company?
my car when i first insured it was valued as £1000
but it was vandalised the damage was a valued as £500 to fix it
but my insurance company then didnt pay out anything to me as they said ...

I hit a car parked in my driveway?
hit a car that was parked in the driveway, it was our downstairs people friends car, who fault was it ?...

I see people driving around with expired vehicle tags, how do i turn them in?
i don't see how fair it is that we both share the road, however, i have to pay my registration & taxes, yet others do not.

and i'm not talking about 30-days late here, i see ...

My son has to insure his first motorcycle any good company advice?

Can I still drive a car if my dad died and it was in his name?
My Dad died almost a year ago and I just paid off his car to get the title. Can I drive the car and insure it under my name without going to court? What should I do? I dont want to sell it, I would ...

Car accident.. not at fault yet other car blaming us?
Me and my boyfriend were in a car accident yesturday afternnon.
it was not his fault, yet the other man driving has claimed it is, even though it is not possile to have been our fault.
he ...

Got into an accident...no insurance...help!!!?
So I was driving home last night. Someone pulls out in front of me, I swerve, end up going sideways and plow into a curb and a speed sign. It was raining and I'm in a truck. Anyways, the guy ...

Am i paying too much for car insurance??
I pay $212 a month, here in Jersey. I'm 23/female, i've had no points within the last 5 years, and one accident that was not my fault. I need full coverage because i am financing the car! D...

My first speeding ticket.?
Im only 17 years old and was driving a freinds car on the interstate going 81 in a 65. he pulled me over and gave me a ticket. My parents dont know and i have a court date in 16 days, what should i ...

What should i do if i have been rearended?

Can i drive a car without auto insurance?

Who hates to go to.................?
the division of motor vehicles and wait and wait and wait, And is it a requirement for the people who work there to be a## holes?...

Is this normal for auto insurance?
I have got quote from almost all the comapnies, esurance, geico, state farm, farmers, allstate, and some more . All of them gave me quotes in the upper $2500 for full coverage. The only one were ...

If i let someone drive my car with suspended license, can my insurance company refuse to pay in event of acc.?

Additional Details
thank's for all the responses, i was fairly certain it would be a mistake. i was asking for a friend to let her know that she shouldn't do something that ...

Car accident, my fault, my insurance company not paying for one of the cars involved. what to do?
I was involved in an accident involving 3 cars. It was my fault. I'm fully insured. My car and one of the other cars in the accident are being repaired with my insurance company. The third car ...

Mother got rear ended in a car accident?
Hi my mother got rear ended in a car accident a month ago, and the insurance agent just now got back with us on a settlement. The driver was suspected to be drinking (as notated in the police report)...

Fender bender today need HELP!!!?
Fenderbender today, the other driver was @ fault, I called my Ins. they told me to get a est. so i did $822.Got home tonight and had a message from the mother telling me she wanted 3 est. and wanted ...

Can I be Sued if my brother has a car accident in my car?
Yesterday Morning my brother had horriblele car accident resulting in the death of the other drive and the totaling of both cars. He walked awa totally unharmed, Thank GOD! But now I am am scared. C...

I hit a cab who was making an illegal u-turn. He got the ticket. Should I contact my insurance company or his?
The cab company said they'd contact me. But they haven't and its been a few days already....

I Had a Car Accident Now What?
i had a small car accident on Saturday night which left little scratch on the left front door of her car

she took my details and insurance company name etc and she refused to take money ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, April 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links