Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Neighbors large tree branch fell on my car while it was parked, is she responsible for the damage?
Find answers to your legal question.

Neighbors large tree branch fell on my car while it was parked, is she responsible for the damage?

Nate W
Rating
Ok, first of all, THERE IS NO "ACT OF GOD" clause in insurance policies. That's complete BS.

The tree is on your neighbors property right? Therefore, it is her responsibility. Her homeowner's insurance policy will cover this under her liability coverage. If she doesn't have insurance or doesn't want to claim it, then sue. You'll win.

HowFuzzyWuzee
That's what your comprehensive coverage IS on your insurance policy.
It covers acts OTHER than "driving" fender bender accidents.
Check with your insurance agent to review your policy for your specific coverage and deductible amounts.

CwboyBill
Rating
IF your neighbor knew about an existing condition concerning the branch (rot, lightning damage, etc) PRIOR to the loss then yes. If the branch just decided to drop then you can try sueing the tree (just kidding).

gcason
No. It's considered an "act of God" so your insurance will have to pay for it. That is, unless you can document that she was negligent and should have prevented the branch from falling (dying tree, something like that...)

bundysmom
Rating
Only if you can prove negligene on the homeowner. For example, if the tree is sick or overgrown, then possibly. If you saw reason for concern and alerted the homeowner to the danger then you could both be on the hook, them for not correcting the problem and you for parking near the tree. If you didn't alert the homeowner to a dangerous condition but you weren't aware of one, but the homeowner was aware of the condition and still did nothing, then absolutely.

Al Mac Wheel
When there is a tree in someone's yard & the branches are over into someone else's property or the public street, then the owner of the yard is accountable for any damage done by the tree.

However, it is kind of stupid to park underneath a tree if there is any sign that the tree is damaged, like from a storm, such that some branches might fall down.

Depending on the amount of damage, it might be simpler to let your car insurance company take care of the problem.

la428282
Rating
Probably not. If her tree was healthy and not dying it would be just an "act of god" and she would not have been negligent for this.

If you have comprehensive coverage on your policy it will pay it minus the deductible.

Reo
Rating
Yeah
If she is a homeowner, have your insurance contact your insurance.
Hope you took lots of pictures

curt brengle
A neighbors tree branch fell on my car causing roof damage . My auto insurance will cover the damage this time . How ever the tree hangs over my driveway and she refuses to have the tree trimed . I ask if my tree service could trim the tree and I would pay for it at the time . She would not let us have the tree trimed . I sent two ltters to her home ,but she would not receive them . I am affray to park my car in fear of more falling barnches on my car or my head . What can I do about it now ?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If you have exceptionally cheap car insurance where do you get it?
I know a lot goes into calculating car insurance, not asking about that. Just want to know if you pay a really small amount for coverage, what that amount is and where you get it from. (Must cover ...

If i were to purchase a vehicle without a title,what is the cheapest way to get it leagel.?
experience people in this field only please.i have found a vehicle,but in a move they lost the title and im not sure were to get a title for the vehicle.can anybody tell me how to deal with the ...

What should I do about this teen accident?
I was getting a ride with my friend and another guy in a two seater pickup truck. We are a bunch of teenagers. There was an extra little seat in the middle that I sat in. As we were driving, I ...

How much could my car insurance increase if I pay a 90.00 fine that included 1 point on my record?
I have a clean driving record so would it be worth paying the ticket and watching my insurance go up a few bucks? I can't imagine my insurance going up too much for a single point, but maybe I ...

Backing out of parking space could not see due to park cars and hit a car coming straight?
i do not have auto ...

I was in an accident this morning, do you think my insurance will cover me?
early in the morning, it was raining and i was going 65 on the left lane. I saw a piece of wood or some similar debri and i tried to avoid it. In doing that, i hit a puddle of water which lifted the ...

Does anyone know what happens when an insurance claims adjuster says your car is totalled after a wreck?
Last week I got rearended in my car. The insurance company gave me the run around and then finally came out to see the damage to my car. He said it was totalled and I have to wait until monday. It...

What do I need to bring to go take my drivers test?
I'm sure it's different from place to place but I'm assuming you just need to bring your permit.......

Car Damage By Someone We Know, But Didint Know He Was Doing It At The Time!?
Ok well... my other half was in a position where he had to take his area manager out with him for the day in OUR car! ... This was fine, not a problem at all in fact until the end of the day when we ...

Want to sue car insurance company, where do I begin??
I was hit (rear end) in a parking lot. Damage to car was replacement of entire bumper and entire back hatch, back door no longer worked. I had an immediate headache and upper whiplash symptoms. I ...

Do you have to wait for 6 months with permit even after 18?
I don't have either a permit or a license yet even though I'm 18 years old.

Do I still have to have 6 months with a permit to get a driving license?
or can I just skip that 6...

A DVLA question ?
i bought a car a couple of months ago and sent the log book off to be transferd on to my name but after a couple of weeks the log book was sent back to me and was told that the previous owner was ...

Someone crashed into my parked car what do i do?
someone swiped into the side of my car ruining the driver side mirror and alot of the body because they dropped their cellphone in their car and tried to pick it up while driving (or so they told the ...

Liability Insurance With No Car?
I need Liability Insurance before I can get my licences in NC, but I don't have a car, nor do I drive a car. Where can I go to get this, or what can I do?
Additional Details
I live ...

Will the insurance company still pay for the damages to my car?
I was hit, the driver admitted liability and has contacted his insurance company and they have already contacted me. But my plates are suspended. Will they still pay the damages?...

If someone else is driving my car...?
I let my friend drive my car last night and I was thinking of this:
If he got into an accident with someone else and it was the others persons fault, would that effect my insurrance or anything? ...

Can i sue my son insurance if they donot pay my medical bills and lost wages?

Additional Details
i hit a deer on december 1 2007 and iam still out of work....

Does the insurance company have a right to the title of my car if it is totaled? They don't get the house.
If something happens to your house they don't take the remains of the house so why do they get what is left of the car? Please if you can help answer this and back it up with information that ...

How much trouble can you get into for putting a wrong plate on a diffrent car in the state of michigan?

Does buying a salvage title vehicle affect the price of insuring the vehicle?
the car only sustained cosmetic damages runs and looks ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links