Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Pulled over for expired license tabs, no insurance.?
Find answers to your legal question.

Pulled over for expired license tabs, no insurance.?

Ok, so you all will probably think I'm really stupid for getting myself into this, and I pretty much agree with you.
I bought a Dodge Neon last summer. I had always had insurance through my parents, so I didn't think much of it. But a little while ago they told me that I was going to be dropped from the insurance, so I made a mental note to start shopping for my own policy.
Well, last night after coming home from a movie, I got pulled over. My license tabs are expired, but he asked for proof of insurance. I didn't have any on me, so he gave me this form to mail in within the next 10 days with proof of insurance. Well, I asked my mother about it, and I'm not insured. I thought I still had some time to take care of this.
So my question is, I'm planning on getting my own policy in the next couple days, get my license tabs and take care of this, but on the form that I have to fill out, it says that the insurance has to cover the date of the incident. This is the first time this has happened to me, but I wanted to know if anyone has been in a similar situation, and what I can expect. Fyi, I live in Minnesota. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

George A
Rating
The citations will stand unless you can throw yourself to the mercy of the judge and see if the judge will cut you any slack.

You are not going to be able to show insurance coverage on the day you were given the citation, so that charge is going to stand. And depending on how long your registration was expired before you renewed, that one also may not go away.

I'm not sure how MN would do an expired registration, but other states, like CA, will issue you a Fix-It citation & once you renewed your registration, that charge would be dismissed by whoever you had to report to & show proof of renewing, whether that would be the DMV, a Traffic Judge or Magistrate. If MN works on similar rules, you may get lucky on the expired registration.

You most likely are looking at 2 options-
Just pay the citation & accept whatever penalties that will be assessed against you,
or
Request a court date & hope that the Judge is not in a bad mood that day & will be willing to work something out with you.

One thing that is on my mind & I don't know if MN does this or not, but some states do a mandatory license suspension (either your driver's license or your registration) for not having Mandatory Insurance. And I'm afraid that you could be facing anything from a 30-90 day suspension of one of your licenses. If registration, you will probably be informed to remove the plates and surrender them to the nearest DMV office, but with either scenario, you won't be able to drive during that time. So hope that MN doesn't do this.

pbleek
You are extremely lucky, in my jurisdiction your car would have been impounded on the spot for expired tags and you would receive a hefty fine for both the tags and not having insurance.
Your cavalier attitude about taking care of this "in the next couple of days" may get you into trouble, what if you have a serious accident today? Do not depend on luck, get this taken care of as soon as you can.

G-man 1
Well as you already know you will get tagged for expired tabs & driving with no insurance. I got tagged for the same two things 24 years ago,( I HAD the same "I`ll take care of it someday" attitude ) I think I had to go to court for it but not sure. The main thing is get insurance, Tomorrow, if you do have to go to court this will look better for you. Back then I think it was around $150( 24-yrs ago ) for both. The worst part of all of this is your insurance will cost you more now (because if your I will look into it, way of going about it) and then for driving with out it. So do it tomorrow before it goes on your Driving record, or wait a few days and pay even more. Your insurance WILL find out about it sooner or later, Then open your wallet, Wide :-( Good Luck on this. Ps take a car with good tabs to get Your tabs . In case it slipped your Metal notes, you have to have current insurance FIRST to get your tabs. :-(

dusty_titus
Rating
Sorry - you're in deep pucky. What form are you speaking about? from DMV? - Insurance co? Court ? Get the TAGS FIRST/then Get the insurance before they find out about your TICKET for the infraction of not paying the TAGS (you can tell them you thought your folks were still paying the tags and hope they go for that) Prepare yourself for a court appearance, if money is no problem, get an attorney.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What does the vertical set of numbers on a driver's license mean?
I'm currently filling out an application, and I see "license number" but it has an s.... and i see a vertical column of numbers that border my picture, anyone know what that is?...

How is Amica Auto Insurance?
Looking to switch my existing insurance. Got a good quote with Amica. Does anyone have this auto Insurance?...

I got into a car accident and was at fault.?
i got into a car accident and it was my fault. The guy had a fairly new truck probably around a 2000 and the damage wasn't to bad. Just the fender and bumper damage for the most part. Well i see ...

In britain how much is it to insure a nissan micra for a learner?
Pounds ...

Is it possible to book a sooner appointment with the dmv?
I did not pass a driver's test in the dmv. How can I get a sooner appointment? my appointment is one month from now.

By the way, try to be helpful. If you do not know anything about ...

Information on renting out a classic car?
I have a classic car and was wondering how i go about renting it out for weddings etc.

any ideas?
Additional Details
Do i need a certain insurance??...

Who is responsible for fees or fines owed before you buy a vehicle from a private party in Ca.?
A friend bought a truck from a private party and discovered that either fees or fines were owed, when he went to register it. They are dated from before the bill of sale. Who is responsible to pay ...

How much might my car insurance be?
I want to know how much would my car insurance be if im sixteen and im driving a 94 dodge stealth. I am also a guy. I know sports cars cost more to insure so could you please include the price of ...

What does category KP mean on my uk driving licence ?

How do you sign over a title for a car?
My boyfriends mother is signing the title of his car over to him but how does he go about this? Things are a little rocky so I'm just trying to make this as easy as possible for everyone ...

How much is auto insurance cost for a first time driver in Massachusetts?
PLEASE JUST GIVE ME A GUESSTIMATE OF HOW MUCH IT WILL COST UP FRONT FOR A FIRST TIME DRIVER IN A $1500 CAR AND THEN HOW MUCH A MONTH FOR THE LOWEST COVERAGE ALLOWED AS A NEW DRIVER AND PLEASE NO OH IT...

Can anyone help me find out if this car ins. Co. lied to me?
I go to school and work. I was in a rear end collision where Unitrin was the ins carrier for the girl that rear ended me. They are going to pay for my truck to get fixed but they said that they can&...

My license is suspended and I got into an accident. What will happen?
Ok so back in April of 2008 I was driving and was pulled over randomlyin Orange County. My friend was drunk but of age and I was driving but not drunk. Long story short, the cops lets me off with ...

How bad is the DMV test for your permit?
I'm taking the test in a week and I want to know if they ask any hard/bad questions on the test....

Question about parking tickets?
so my father is trading my car in for me so i can buy a car that is 4 door. when we trade the car in will they see the parking tickets i have under that car?
Additional Details
all i ...

My car got hit on the passenger side fri night in a parking lot but I didn't notice it til the next day?!?
will my insurance cover this or should i just call from the parking lot at my work & tell em my car got hit at work..it just has a dent and a couple scratches like someone tried to back out..and ...

How much is it for your theory test? (British)?
and do you have the contact no. ...

Will I default on my loan and/or get my car repo'd if I cant pay my insurance and they cancel it?
I live in MA if that makes a ...

Can i start insurance on a new car with a new insurance provider before the current policy runs out ?
My current car insurance policy runs out at the end of the month and I will not be renewing with them. I am getting a new car approx 2 weeks before the expiry date. Can i start the insurance with ...

I have lost the paper to my driving licence,how do i get a new one?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, April 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links