Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Repairing a broken windshield - I have comprehensive coverage on my car...?
Find answers to your legal question.

Repairing a broken windshield - I have comprehensive coverage on my car...?

which covers the cracked glass, but I have a $500 deductible. My insurance company estimated the cost to repair it at $275, so they told me it would be an out of pocket expense. My mechanic told me there is a glass shop he works with who will waive your deductible if your insurance covers the repair. Does anyone know how this would work? And since i already contacted my insurance company and they made a claim but said it would be an out of pocket expense, did I screw myself on getting it fixed for free?

Ben Linus
Rating
That doesn't sound right. Why would anyone have glass coverage on their car if the deductible was higher than the cost of replacing a windshield? I'd check with a different agent from your insurance co before I'd pay anything out-of-pocket. If it's true that you have to pay a deductible before the windows get replaced, I'd drop that part of the coverage ASAP because it's pretty much worthless if that's the case.

You didn't make a mistake by making a claim because the insurance company isn't going to raise your rate etc., if your claim didn't cost them anything. (You paying $275 out of pocket for the repair and them paying $0 cost them nothing whether or not you made the claim).

mojo1969
Rating
No the insurance just won't pay for the windshield to be repaired because it cost less to replace than your $500.00 deductable. Get in the phonebook and look under glass in yellow pages their will be a list of auto glass installers call and tell them what you need, they will give you a Price quote and set up an appointment to come to your home or job and replace the windshield. I had one put in my 1995 Honda Accord for $210.00 through Safelite Auto glass. they came to my house and i watched them replace the glass It took about 20 minutes in all. It doesn't affect your insurance as a claim because they (the insurance co.) did not pay for the repair. However if you do not have it fixed and have a accident and the windshield gets damaged they will not pay for the windshield in this case because it was already damaged. So when you get it fixed make a copy of the reciept and give it to your insurance company. Hope this helps.

Molly J
You should not have made a claim. Just pay out of pocket. Most places will replace a windshield for less then 200, if the crack is small it can be repaired.

Gambit
Rating
The shop your mechanic is pushing is involved in one of the oldest scams in the insurance industry: charging the deductible in the cost of the windshield replacement. It's one of the reasons why insurance is as high as it is. Regardless your insurer will NOT cover the loss. They know how much is costs to replace your windshield, and they know your deductible is. If you try and submit a repair bill to replace the glass for $750 do you really think they are going to pay it? Pay for it yourself and move on.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I hit an unattended van while getting out of the parking lot?
Okay here's what happen, I was trying to get out of the parking lot and this one stupid ten wheeler truck park right behind me so i coudnt back up that much and so there wasnt very much space to ...

Had a car accident which was not our fault i hav a trapped nerve causin pains they say £700 comp is that nomal?
i recently had a car accident which was none of our fault the other driver has taken blame im in serious lower back pain also suffering from trapped nerve causing shooting pains down my leg they want ...

How Expired oklahoma DL?
My OK DL expired back in july of 07. Do i have to retake the drivers test....

Do you need a tractor licence and insurance to drive a tractor on the road at 16?
And is this possible to drive a tractor on the road if your not using the tractor for agracultural purposes?...

How does my car rental company know if I leave the state?
A rental truck company I am considering says "unlimited mileage within Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina. 20 cents per mile if you leave those states."

How would they know ...

My friends car has been burnt out?
what type of cover does she need? she has got fully comprehensive but she has been told that because the cars on finance they will only pay for the value of the car because shes not got gap insurance?...

Logbook aint turned up yet?
Ok bought a car from some dealer about 3 months ago, and have still not got the logbook. Think the guy is being stubborn snd has not sent it back to the dvla. I called the dvla and said they have no ...

I rear ended someone, my license is suspended BUT?
the car I was driving has full coverage, will the insurance company pay for the car to be fixed?...

Will my insurence be higher?
I know coups cost more to insure than sedans, but what about the difference in trim level? Say cobalt LT, or LS sedan vs. sport sedan. Will just saying sport in the cars name cost more, and how much ...

HELP!!! I lost my friends car keys?
I lost my friends car keys!! What do i do??? How does he get new ones? He bought his car used from a person how much will it cost to be replaced??
Additional Details
its a 2002 lexus ...

Arizona Abonded Title Question?
Basically my situation is that my friend has acquired a 2005 suzuki GSXR-600.

Now he's had this bike in his possession for little over 2 years now after his friend skipped town.

Im first time driver, i need advice for getting car insurance?
which one should i get for cheaper, and should i be just under someone like my parents? they had state farm....

Tell car insurance agent the truth?
i am opening a new auto insurance policy of my own, no longer on my parents.

so do i actually need to tell them about the one speeding ticket i received? and an accident i once got in? are ...

Insuring a motorbike in Ireland or UK?
I was looking to get a bike because I am 16 now, I would love an RS50 of course but it its high running cost and insurance. I want to keep costs to a minimum so I am thinking Yamaha TZR 50. Has ...

What do i need to take with me to get new tags for my car?

IF YOU ARE 17 AND HAVE YOUR PERMIT BUT HAVNT TAKEN YOUR FIRST DRIVERS ED COURSE, CAN YOU TAKE YOUR TEST?
I'M 17. I HAVE MY PERMIT, BUT I DON'T THINK IT'S VALID, BECAUSE I HAVN'T TOOK MY FIRST DRIVERS TRAINING COURSE YET.. I KNOW HOW TO DRIVE AND AM SURE I CAN PASS THE TEST, BUT WILL...

Being prepared for my DMV written test?
Is it a multiple choice kind of thing or do you actually have to write out the answers to every question they ask you...

What kind of questions should I expect to be on it?
A...

My mom is going to drop my car insurance...?
We are in kind of an argument and my mom treats me like I am a kid. I am 18 and my mom says that if I dont give back the car that she will drop the insurance on it. Can I get my own insurance on the ...

Will a pain & suffering settlement be at least equal to the medical bills?
I know there is no set formula for settlements but is it reasonable to think it will at least be equal to medical expenses?
The cost has been 6K over 2 years. The other person was at fault and ...

What catagory licence do you require to drive a Fire engine?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, April 17, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links