Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

The liability insurance is under my name. My brother was driving my car and had an accident, Now what??!!!?
Find answers to your legal question.

The liability insurance is under my name. My brother was driving my car and had an accident, Now what??!!!?

I have liability insurance under my name. last week end I lend my car to my brother so that he could go pick up my son at school, since I was feeling sick that day. On his way to the school he ran a red light and my car is now total. Am I still cover since I was not the one driving or am I screwed? What do I have to do, I have never been in an accident so I don't know what to do.

pbleek
Its liability insurance, so that covers everything but your vehicle. They will pay for all damages but nothing for your vehicle. To be fully insured you would have had to have a comprehensive policy. Liability insurance is the bare minimum insurance you are required by law to carry, it protects other people for the damage you may do but it does not protect your car.

rrr yahoo
Rating
As long as you gave your brother permission to drive your vehicle, the accident should still be covered by your insurance company. Since you only had liability insurance, there would be no coverage for your car. More than likely, the insurance company will cancel your policy after everything is settled.

Pockyman
Rating
So far I know it doesn't matter who drive the car .The car is in your name ,insurance is in your name.Since it was his fold and you have liability insurance your insurance not going pay you for your car.It is your responsability.

WONDERER
Rating
Read the policy very carefully. The company will have put a clause in there which will cover eventualities such as that you have experienced
.Unless the policy states that it covers you only then you will be covered for what is called Third Party. This is the minimum cover that you can have. Since the car was wrecked in the commission of a traffic offence, I cannot see that you will have any claim at all against the company for the damage to your car. You may find yourself in court defending any claims that others may make against you for the accident and considering the red light incident I cannot see that you will have any defence.
Thank Heaven that your son was not in the car at the time! I am sorry for you. We can choose our friends but we are stuck with our relations!

Bekki B
Unless your brother is specifically excluded under your insurance policy, then your liability insurance would cover damages to the other party. However, there unfortunately would not be coverage for your vehicle, since you did not carry collision coverage. Contact your insurance agent, and she can inform you what your policy covers, and the best way to proceed.

Baccheus
It is your car that is covered, not the driver. Call your agent. You will likely be covered and get to buy another car. Your rates might go up, since your insurance will have to pay for your car and the car that hit your brother. There is some chance that your insurance will drop you and you'll have to gt a new policy. I'm glad that your bother and son are OK, but I would not let him drive your car again. In the end, he cost you thousands of dollars.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why is insurance higher on sports cars?
I pay high insurance on my camero.But some of these non-sport cars seem to drive faster than me.
But I do drive the speed limits.Do you think its fair I pay higher?...

What is the purpose of your S.S# to get a auto. Ins. quote?
Why do you have to give your S.S.# AND D.L.# to get an auto Ins. quote? Why both?...

I have lost my log book and need to apply for another. How do i go about this?

I am going to be getting my first car soon, i am a new driver.?
what car can i get to allow me the lowest insurance??...

Settlement for car accident??????
I just wanted to ask what is the right amount of a settlement for a car accident I was involved in recently. I was hit from the back. My car damages were 9100. I had broken ribs, muscle spasm and I...

How do i get my first drivers license when im 18?
alright, i will be 18m in 5 months. I have my permit but it expires on the 23rd of August and I have already re-newed it once. So how do i go about getting my drivers licence when im 18? will i need ...

My car in accident, Dealership Mgr driving & me a passenger. Who should pay for the damage.. my insurance ?
My new car (2 months old) was taken to dealership to investigate a problem covered under manufacturer warranty. Since the dealership svc dept could not reproduce the problem, I went for a test drive ...

Driving without insurance-the penalty?
Someone drove into my partners car last night and they didn't have insurance. My husband is fine but we were wondering what the law is regarding punishment if people have no insurance? (in ...

I got into car accident like 2 months ago, their insurance said not going to compensate?
I had gotten into a 3-way car accident around 2 months ago, I was in the front, a car rear-ended a van behind me, and the van rear-ended me as a result.
There were minor damages to the car, and ...

Speeding Tickets?
I let my friend drive my car while I was in it. He was going 5 over the speed limit and got a speeding ticket. If he doesn't pay the fine for it or go to court will they come after me or do ...

My wife was in an car accident, what are her options when it comes to insurance?
OK... about 3 weeks ago, my wife was rear ended and pushed into another car in a car accident. She has now a pretty serious case of whiplash... and a totaled out car.

The driver of the car ...

My son went to college and does not have a car, insurance want him to surrender his license, is this legal?
The insurance company wants my son to surrender his license or change his address,he has no car....

Our cars back up into each other in the parking lot of grocery store. Whose fault ? 50-50 or no fault.?
I have old Nissan 240 Sx, she has honda SUV very new( don't know what-type very big one). We hit back to back . Her right bumper fold in and my right bumper has some fold and scratch. Her is ...

Sold my gsxr for $3000, but only put $200 on title, if in court which would override, title or bill of sale?
I sold my sportsbike for $3000 and put $200 on the bill of sale to reduce registration taxes. The guy wants his money back and said he was going to take me to court. Which would override, the bill of ...

What is cheaper, car insurance or motorcycle insurance?

I'm devastated that I failed my 2nd driving test? ...?
I'm so upset, after my good lessons leading upto it. I'm not giving up. I do want to hear others advice.

I got very nervous, despite trying to be calm. 16minors/2 serious errors!<...

What company gives the cheapest car insurance.?
What company offers the cheapest insurance they all claim to but I want to know for real? All I want is bare state required minimum insurgence. So what company can offer me the cheapest rate. I ...

How do i tax my car in the post office?
i have passed my test this morning! (yay). I have a car with no tax, insurance or MOT. I know how to insure the car and MOT it, but what do i need to take to the post office to tax it? I dont want to ...

Canceling car insurance?
i got some car insurance for a car i was purchasing today as i did not want to drive it home over 100 miles with out none , i only took it out yesterday but when i went to pick up the car it had ...

Driving without valid license?
We just found out that one of our employees has been driving our company vehicle for four years without a valid license. Was he breaking any law?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, October 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links