Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

What are the risk of putting a car in my name for some one else?
Find answers to your legal question.

What are the risk of putting a car in my name for some one else?

The car will be payed off, but i was wondering how it will affect my credit, insurance on my own car, ect. And if he gets a ticket will i be affected? What if drugs or something is found in the car?

Bruce Frazier
Rating
The law in nearly every state holds the registered owner of the car responsible for its use or misuse.

As the title owner you are responsible for parking tickets associated with your vehicle as well as accidents, including the liability associated with damages to life or property. Even criminal activity associated with the car gets tied to you.

This is often the case with co-signers. The vehicle is usually in the name of the person with sufficient credit. The other person's name may be on the note, but the co-signer is actually the one making a debt.

If the vehicle is in your name but someone else is paying for it, that might be fine as long as their are no problems. But over the course of the several years that you will be paying for the vehicle something is guaranteed to go wrong. You will be responsible not the other person.

It is not advised that you should make such a move unless you have other compelling reasons.

Dulce maria
Rating
dont be stupid if you do that,maybe drugs are find and you will go to prison.or if the car is rob that will be a big trouble or if the person dosent pay for it they will go to your house and if they dont find it there ,I wodent want to be you ....................so dont do that stupid

scififed
anything that happens you would be financially responsible. if drugs are found they could seize the car. if a parking ticket is issued and you are never told this could effect you renewing your drivers license. had this done to me by my brother 20 years ago.

Lindsey D
Rating
put it in a persons name you trust with your life and then put a lien on it .. not a real one ,just get your mom to sign as lien holder on the title. the insurance can be in anyones name.you put this car in limbo and it cant be taken from you or anyone or by the law. let me rephrase that , the law can take it but they cant keep it.

ce1121
Whatever you do, don't do it! If this person can't afford to pay for the car, you will be the one having to pay for it. Listen to the people above, just don't do it.

united9198
Rating
What would you do if someone rammed your sister's car and she was killed after the brakes went out? Would you not sue the car owner for that? That is the same position you are putting yourself in. The liability that you would be accepting is huge. Consider that the person asking you to do that is already a risk or they would not be having to ask you to protect them. Don't do it.

turner32542
don't do it...to many possible problems...

AL
Don't even think about it. DON'T DO IT...... Would be one of the biggest mistakes you ever made in your life. Only a TRUE IDIOT would do something like that.

Shockey Monkey
Don't do it.
All traffice violations, crimes etc involving that car will come back to you.

heir_to_christ
Yes, its risky, and you could have points put on your licence for something someone else has done.

matt323i
Rating
If he kills someone while driving the car then you could be held liable and sued, insurance could get cheaper if you get a multi car policy, if it's paid off then there is no affect on credit, If he gets a ticket directly from a police officer it goes to him, if its a camera ticket it will come to you, but you can fight it.

oklatom
Rating
Anything against the vehicle, from a parking ticket to a tow to an accident to being used in a felony robbery will become YOUR responsibility. If you want to take that responsibility, go right ahead. Let's assume the person has a bad wreck, ruins some property and runs off. Who will they arrest and charge? The owner of record. The "I wasn't driving it" won't matter, you are responsible for whatever it does no matter who is driving, and you will also be responsible if the someone else is driving without insurance. Or did you plan to put insurance in your name also?

theoriginalquestmaker
Rating
Don't do it. Any accidents will reflect on your insurance. Plus if you are asking about drugs then it sounds like you think it is possible. And they could come after you. Don't risk it.

candidworker
Rating
If they have unpaid tickets, if they don't pay their taxes,or the car get's impounded yes it's on you cause the car is in your name.

Pummi
100% as they may pay the expenses and take away your car... if you are paying for it then also... there r 100% chances that after the final installment they may refuse to register it back to your name............ SO DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

londonhawk
Rating
If the car is in your name, you are held respsonsible for everything that happens to it.

tonalc1
Rating
If the car is in your name, the insurance for the car has to be in your name with the driver listed as additional driver, for which you may pay extra on the policy.

Any liability claims will go to your policy. Any tickets he gets will go on his personal driving record.

newfiekiss
i am multi owner of a car and my father is owner, is there any way i can remove his name from owner and be soul owner myself?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If my 16 year old gets hit by someone in a car accident...?
and he doent have a license whos fault is it?...

Totaled car, pawned title, no insurance?
Okay. My title has been pawned for a few months now. My car has been giving me major troubles since April, so I stopped driving it, and canceled my insurance and all (BAD choice!!). Anyways......

If I have an accident and they say I caused it and now my car is totaled, does my Insurance have to pay for my
replacement value and also I was hurt in the accident does my Insurance pay for this also. I know my isurance will pay for her car and injuries..what about mine?? Thanks......

If i sell a vehicle to family, and they dont insure it, and it's still in my name, am I liable for accidents?
I gave this vehicle to my mother, the agreement was for her to insure it, and i left the tags I had on it so she can drive it to her home. She hasnt removed the tags, and hasnt insured it. Am I ...

What does credit have to do with insurance rates? I do not see the correlation.?
My credit is o.k, it is not the best and it is not horrible. But I have not one ticket or accident on my driving record. I haven't had a ticket for at least 6 years now. However, my rates are ...

Motorbike collision?

Additional Details
I was involved in a collision on my bike, whereby it was written off and I recieved injuries. I was riding down a main road in line of traffic. On approach to a ...

If someone spill paint on my car, will insurance help pay the damage?
Do all insurance companies pay for paint damage?

If someone spill paint on my car and headlight?...

How can I get my car from NJ to Florida legally !?
I currently have a florida state licence and am residing in Florida.

I have a car under my title and ownership in NJ on which the registration is good till Dec 2009, but has no insurance.T...

When do they total a car after an accident.?
Does anyone know what percentage of the value of the car the damage has to be before they total it after an accident?...

Should old people be retested for a driving test?
I was hit by a 91 year old lady, I don't think she can see very well or even see over the steering wheel any more. At what point will it take to set boundaries in Florida. "Death"

Should I lie to my auto insurance company and say someone hit me?
I accidently ran my car into a pole that scraped and dented the whole passenger side of my car. If I tell the insurance company that someone hit me while i was parked in a lot will they know I am ...

Am I over reacting about my driving instructor?
First Lesson I had he said I was good but I would need 40 lessons? What the hell? Then he kept hinting about money the whole time...he talks and talks before I actually get the chance to drive his ...

Do you think 248 dollars a month for car insurance a little to much?
?...

My sis just had an accident with my mum's car but she's not on the policy.Will the insurance company cover it?
My sister just got her drivers license like 2 days ago and she just had an accident before my mother had a chance to put her on the policy. Do you think the insurnce company will cover the damages?...

Car 3 hits car 2 from behind. Car 2 subsequently hits car 1 from behind. Who's responsible for car 1's damages?

How old do you have to be to attain a driver's licensence in the U.S?

Additional Details
Uh, how about California and Nevada?...

Im afraid of driving! i need help!?
hi i dont drive yet.. but whenever i practice drive i get so nervous im almost like scared.. sometimes i lose focus.. how can i overcome this? i know i need to drive... gimme some tips. and whats the ...

I have a question about getting a license? (15.5-18 years old)?
So I'm past the age of 15 and a half. I want to take drivers ed but my parents dont want pay for it because its like 600 dollars! And my dad found out that you can just take the written test for ...

After being involved in a car accident how much compensation would i get at the most?
I was involved in a hit and run accident. I was crossing a road and a car took over the bus that was waiting for me. The stupid car went over my foot. I fell onto the bonnet of the car but no broken ...

If my car tax ran out on the 30th of november how many days grace do i get?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links