Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

What can I do if I was dropped from my car insurance?
Find answers to your legal question.

What can I do if I was dropped from my car insurance?

I got a letter today, saying that my car insurance policy will be terminated near the end of October, less than a month from now. This is because of a minor accident last December and a recent speeding ticket that I just finished traffic school for. What are my options? Are my rates going to be sky high with another company because of this?

Lauren
Rating
Start looking for a new company now and make sure you get one before your other coverage expires. Many compnaies will penalize you if you don't have current insurance. Also many states now consider it illegal to drive without insurance and can impound your car, fine you or in some case give you jail time.

Yes your rates will go up, but as long you keep a clean record for three years your rates will drop again

mel
yea, but shop for another carrier now. It would make it look better if YOU were leaving them, not the other way around.

RIchard H
Look for another insurance company. Then a month later change cause the first one will get a copy of your record too... but never let it run out...

Rigo
Probably. Best to secure new insurance with a new carrier as soon as possible so you don't have a lapse in coverage.

JAREAD
If you went to traffic school the ticket should not show up on your driving record. You can go to the DMV and get a copy of your driving record and then shop around for a new more reasonable Insurance company. You might want to look at Geiko, or a couple others

Check your driving record before you do anything else

Scottyboy
It strikes me funny that our constitution states plainly that no one entity of government shall gain a power that is greater than the will of the people. Why, and I shall stress Why, have we, The Sacred People, allowed ourselves to be the serfs of the stinking Government????

cwbachman
Rating
well looks like you are going to have to get a sr22 and keep it up to date for one full year without any sort of tickets
my son had to do the same thing hope this will answer your
question.

notaclue
Again, as stated so many times on this site- it's a state by state issue! Our state prohibits carriers for three years from canceling insurance for any other reason than non-payment, DWI-DUI or the use of a motor vehicle in the commission of a crime such as leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, bank robbery, etc!
Yes, on the second issue! The new carrier is definitely going to surcharge you for an accident (if at fault) and a speeding violation!

oklatom
You have two options.
1. Quit driving.
2. Get another policy

Yes, with your record you may have higher rates.

Chris
Rating
You just have to call around. The rate may be higher because of the accident and the ticket might not show up if the traffic school cleared it off your record. The accident though will be what follows you around for a few years.

BONNI
You better find another agency and fast. If you are caught driving without insurance you can go to jail. If you still have a loan on the car the bank can call in your loan if you don't have insurance.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I was hit by an uninsured driver?
I do have full coverage, so my car is being repaired and my insurance company is going after the guy who hit me. However, I do live in a state that it is law to carry car insurance. I did file an ...

When your photo is taken for your drivers license...why do they...?
...tell you to smile? If you are stopped by the police and asked for it ~ are you going to be smiling? hahaha!...

What car do you drive, how old are you and how much do you pay for insurance?
I need a few questions answered.

1. How old are you?

2. What car do you drive?

3. How much do you pay for insurance?...

Car accident..whose fault?
I got into a car accident where i was in a right lane and a guy was next to me in the middle lane. I was driving in his blind spot but i would have eventually passed him...if he hadnt gotten into my ...

How can I get a salvage title back to a clean title?
I bought my 2001 car with a salvage title. It was salvaged due to light damage. It looks and drives better than most of the same cars with clear title's. Is there a way I can get it back to a ...

Do I need to be on my parents car insurance policy to drive it for a day?
I am over 18, and my parents live in my home. I do have a license, but don't own a car as I take public transportation. Do I need to have auto insurance to drive his car for a few days? As in do ...

Auto insurance ?
my auto insurance was discounted as of 1/4/2009. they discounted me cause i miss a single payment. what should i do now. i had geico....

Jack borrows Kevin's car and crashes it into a restaurant. Whose insurance pays for the restaurant's damage?
Kevin's (owner of the car) insurance company sent a letter to Jack (borrower of the car that ran into the restaurant) telling him that they were not responsible for any of the damages due to ...

If a deer hits your car is the state responsible for damages? (Ohio)?
I was told that in Ohio if a deer hits you that the state has to pay for the damage done to your vehiccle....

Im 18 do you need a permit to get a license, if so how long do i have to keep it until i get a licence in Cali
do i just need the permit to take my driving test?...

Car accident dilemma?
I got into a car accident driving my friend's car. She let me borrow it because my car was getting repaired. I was not at fault of the accident, however my friend's car was a total loss (i ...

Car insurance for young drivers?
im a 20 year old who has had his license for over a year but haven't been able to afford car insurance. what car will be cheapest to get insured on? and am i best getting an older car or a newer ...

I don't like the photo on my driver's licence, can I buy a new licence with a new photo?

My freind is driving with out car insurance. Is this ok?
A freind of mine, 23yrs old, has just bought a $1000 car to get herself around from work and school. She lives alone with her sister, who is 25 and grandmother and has told me that she needs this car ...

If my vehicle got totaled, would i get the value for the vehicle?
I was wondering that if I were to get in a single car accident and total my truck, i know the insurance company would pay it off, but would they turn around and give me the value for the truck too? R...

Is there anything you can do to help pass your driving test or is it down to what happens that day?

Does my auto liability insurance cover me while driving a rental car?
I am going on vacation in Florida and am renting a car. I have auto collision coverage through my credit card company but want to know if my regular liability insurance covers me while driving a ...

Which is the better auto insurance company, statefarm or allstate?

What are the conditions regarding using another person's vehicle if your on comprehensive car insurance?
some people say if your on comp you can legally drive another persons vehicle (even if your not named as the registered keeper or on the insurance) with the owners permission etc but sometimes i hear ...

When two cars collide in a north carolina parking lot who is liable?
my daughter was trying to easy out of her parking space, could not see , puuled slighty forward and someone that was driving really fast hit the bumper of her car ripping it off. who pays /...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, April 18, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links