Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

What does it mean no title on car?
Find answers to your legal question.

What does it mean no title on car?

im thinking about buying this one car but the owner said he doesn't have the title what does that mean??...you cant buy the car, cant show the car is yours, or it might be stolen?

Jillann?
thats exactly what it means, you will never be able to get plates for it without the title.

biobrat
Rating
stay away from the car
if there is no title it is shady
could mean all sorts of things
stolen
pieced together
reconstruction title or wasn't good enough for that
you will need a title for any car you want to drive unless you are living on a farm

oklatom
Since all vehicles are sold and ownership transferred by means of a title, it means he can't sell it, and you shouldn't buy it. If he has a right to the car, and owns it, he can apply for a duplicate title to sell it.

If you go ahead and get it, maybe on his promise to get you a title later, you can't register it, or drive it, and if he vanishes and it does turn out to be stolen, the police will pay you a visit and have it towed away. You could be charged in that case with having stolen property.

Liko
Rating
title by those means is ownership

George
I bought a car like that once and ended up serving 3 and one half years in prison on a 7 year sentence for receiving stolen property and nothing happened to the person I got it from.

StephenWeinstein
All of the above. It might not be his car, or it might just be that he lost the paperwork. Do not buy the car; he might have stolen it.

If it is his car, he should be able to get a replacement title.

Mr - Hun - Dad - Grandpa - Boss.
You and the seller have to go to DMV to get a duplicate title. That's not bad at least you will know the car isn't stolen.

ignant_slob
Rating
It means he doesn't have the document showing ownership of the car. So he can't sell the car without it. Also, he can't prove that the car is his.

loves christmas lights
It means a its stolen, or b hes too cheap/lazy to go get one. If he cant sign a title over, you cannot register is easily, therefore you cant insure it until you go down and do all the leg work. In fact in todays world since you know who the supposed owner is, they probably wont give it to you. You can call and see, but depending on what state your in they may also need a smog device check, and that too you will be paying for, and if its deficient, it can be really expensive to fix. Some cars, have an older generic type put on and that ruins performance, depending on modle of the car. There are going to be so many monitary suprises coming along with this car, call your state DMV and ask them how to go about this. A trip to the mechanice and pay for them to really look it over, transfluid in good shape and not fouled by the radiator, the condition of the water pump *viewed on a lift, belt conditions, tires, breaks, suspension. Does it leak oil and where is that coming from. You could buy that car and potentially owe more to fix it than you paid for it. I bought a used car that they had hidden that the transmisison and radiator were leaking into each other, 3500.00 later.......more than half what I paid to get it in running condition again, and it broke again 37 mo later, same problem, no now I put in 7000.00 into a car worth 5000.00 at the time. Now the front bearings went that was 250.00 (for front only bearing).
The new serpantine was some where near 100.00.
So be forewarned, it could be a great car that the original owner lost the title.
Questions to ask always.
How long have you been the owner/tregistered owner? If they never put it in their name you may have all those penalties to pay, if hey owned it a few months, its junk, they bought it found it was needing too much work.
Ask why they are selling it, ask about work performed since owning it.
Carfax is so worth the money, so worth that money. I was able to see my used car had one owner. That was what made me think the car might be in ok shape. I was wrong, but at least I found the owners name in the glove box on the original paperwork, carfax told me the county the car had been registered in and I found the old owner and asked him a few questions.

al t
Rating
TITLES USUALLY CAME WITH CARS AFTER 1970 OR THEREABOUTS....IF THE GUY HAS NO TITLE, STEER CLEAR....HE MAY NOT EVEN OWN IT...........WANNA BUY THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE?

vicki g
In California:
Maybe he lost the title, OR it's a "paperless title"
Sometimes, new cars are financed with a paperless title. But when they are paid off, then the owner will get a paper title from the lender.

To buy/sell a car without a title:
Seller gets car smogged
Go to the DMV or AAA Auto Club WITH THE SELLER.
Take current registration in with you.
Fill out REG 227 Duplicate for Title. He signs front, you sign back. (Check box for paperless title if that applies on the front of the REG 227 form)
Fill out REG 262 Transfer and Reassignment form. Fill in odometer disclosure and seller/buyer sign the bill of sale section.

Buyer pays $15 transfer fee and Use Tax.

If the car is stolen, the DMV will let you both know right then and there.
If there is a lien on the car, DMV will let you know.

When paperwork is done, hand the guy your money and take the keys.
You leave with a new registration for your glove compartment and the new title will be mailed to you in about 5 weeks.

Zeek M
Rating
contact dmv if a car is over 15yrs or so u don't need a title

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

CA Drivers License Suspended, not DUI?
I was a week late in paying my insurance and I get suspended for a year, even though I renewed the insurance and showed it to the judge. Is that excessive. Life just got hectic and I overlooked it. I...

Can they take my lincense for not have insurance and charge me 300$ before court and the man hit me.?
my car was park and my kids was in the car. they took my license and gave me a ticket and told me i'll can pay them 300 and we wont have to go to ...

Auto insurace question--non at fault driver asked immediately if I wanted to keep this out of the insurance?
I live in California and rear-ended a car today. The actual collision speed was very low, at best case two miles an hour. My car show no sign of damage but the other car bumber cover show numerous ...

Can you buy a car and register it before having driving license?
I'm in Kansas State....

If a car rear-ends my car, whose insurance is responsible to repair the car that hit mine?

Can i make a claim for whiplash when i was in my partners car as a passanger?
he is being held responsible for the accident. i am not named on his policy. if i can how do i claim?...

Gieco has wrong VIN# for my truck....Now what?
I just realized a day or two ago that Gieco Ins. has the wrong VIN# on my policy for my truck. It has been this way ever since I bought it almost 2 years ago apparently. Im aware that should i have ...

Is it worth making a small claim on my car insurance for a headlight?
I have a protected no claims bonus. So if I claim it won't affect my ncd at all ( I assume). I'm aware I can claim with my insurance (more than) I can claim as many times as I like, the ...

I just got my liscense but im not insured, can i drive other peoples cars even if im not insured?

Car is a total loss but why?
My car, a Toyota Camry, 1995 is a total loss... and
Insurance company show me this...

ACV (ACTUAL CASH VALUE) $4,667.00

TAX 5% 2...

Car Insurance different address than car registered address?
Hi,
I have insured my car on my friend's address because his postcode turns out to be very cheap for my premiums. My car and Driving Licence are registered on my home address but when I buy ...

Can anyone tell me how to get proof of my no-claims for my car insurance,as i have no idea of my last insurers

How silly is this when it comes to a UK driving licence ?
Hi Folks,

I was a naughty boy in driving home after a funeral, with a few beers inside me. No problem, no incidents, although illegal.
At a spot check, I was a tad over the limit, so ...

Who is offering the best and cheapest car insurance in the uk?
I am finding the ever increasing price of car insurance is becoming a bit of a burden. I am at present with one of the recovery companies and the costs are spiralling.....Help an old geezer out...PLEA...

How does my daughter register her car?
I bought a car for my daughter in california.. I am keeping the title until she pays off the car. She drove the car back to montana where she lives. How does she register the car in her name when I ...

Does your driving license ever expire?

A friend borrowed my car.she let someone else use my car w/o my consent. he totaled my car is his ins. liable?
I live in texas. My car only has liability but the driver (who wrecked into a wall) has full coverage. Can I claim on his ...

Should I repair winshield nicked by stone?

Should I try to get my car license?
I will not have a car of my own in a while....

Who's at fault in this wreck
My sister was in a wrech yesterday and is worried about her insurance and who's insurance would have to pay for who. She was driving on a main hwy when the woman in front of her came to a ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links