Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

What is the definition of having "clean title" on your car?
Find answers to your legal question.

What is the definition of having "clean title" on your car?

Additional Details
Does it have anything to do with if it's been in a wreck?

mbrcatz
Rating
It has nothing to do with being in a wreck. It means, the vehicle hasn't been stolen, it's paid off, and the title papers are all in order.

You can have a clean salvage title. It means, ownership is clear.

If you want to find out about wrecks or claims on a car, use carfax.

Deb W
Rating
A clean title means that the vehicle has never had a salvage title before. In some states damage to vehicles from and accident is reported on titles. And the title might be branded damage disclosed, or damaged.
Just because the title is clean does not mean that it has never been wrecked. I suggest that you run a car-fax on any vehicle before purchasing it. (www.carfax.com)

KitKat
Rating
You own the car free and clear. There are no liens on it like from a dealer, and it is not a salvage vehicle. If it's not salvaged and you have the actual title in your hand, in your name, you have "clean title".

piercni
A car that doesn't have any thing bad on car fax now days.

MARY N
A clean title means it's paid in full - you don't owe the bank and there are no liens on it (meaning you haven't taken out a loan and said you'd give them the car if you don't pay).

Jengi
Rating
A clear title means that you owe nothing on it. No loans, or liens.

Shoeless Joe
Rating
A clean title means that the car hasn't been totaled. It has nothing to do with lien-holders. A normal title is generally green and a 'salvage title' (not clean - means the car has been totaled by an insurance company) usually is orange, or possibly brown. If a car has a 'salvage' title it means the car has been rebuilt. A title can also be 'dirty' if there is some type of odometer discrepancy.

EDIT - many people here have mentioned carfax as a good reference, but you should know that it's not all it's cracked up to be. I would say that around 70% of the cars we used to look at for trade that had damage repair showed nothing on carfax. It's good to use, but it's not the end all. Remember, somebody has to report the damage...would you report damage to your car to carfax? Would your body shop? Probably not. It seems accidents only get reported when the police get involved. Even then it's spotty.

MG425
YOU OWN THE THE CAR FREE AND CLEAR. ITS PAID FOR.THERES NO TITLE LOANS AGAINST IT,AND IT ISNT USED AS COLLATEREL ON ANY LOAN. YO PAY NOBODY ANY MONEY WKLY.,BI WEEKLY, OR MONTHLY ON IT.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What do you do soon as you get in the car when taking your driving test?

Additional Details
When I 1st got in the car, when taking my driving test, I just started it up and did what the examiner told me to do. But I put my seat belt on when the examiner got ...

What state do I need to have a license in?
My car is register to my parents in Wisconsin. My license is a Wisconsin one with my parent's address on it. But I went to college in Minnesota and have graduated and am now living in Minnesota....

Is it possible for car insurance to refuse to pay and have me responsible for an accident?

I was involved in a accident in September of 2004, I hit an vehicle at speed of 10mph, there was barely any damage on other persons car, my light was damaged (paid $350, for replacement) at the ...

Is it reasonable for a towing company to charge me full price because of this, can i fight it?
i parked at my girlfriends apartment visitor parking lot for 5 minutes when i came out, a tow truck was about to tow it away, the driver saw me coming and waving at him, but he left anyways, then he ...

How come a 7 year old Dodge truck costs more to insure than a new Lexus RX350?
Full insurance:

Dodge - $1400
Lexus - $900

Why??????...

Do you have to have license plate on front and back?
I live in Iowa and I just noticed friday evening that my front plate is gone....Is it illegal not to have plates on the front or is fine as long as you have them on the ...

How can I look up people's drivers liscense?
I need 2 know......

On average how much would it insurance cost for new drivers?
Well I passed my road test the other day and also took drivers ed. My mom doesn't have a car or a license, so I'm the only one with a license and my mom will be buying me a car. We are ...

Thanks to all who replied in my concern about the girl who ran the red light and totaled my car?
Do you think that it would be best to go in front of a judge or jury? I do only have liability and no uninsured drivers thing, I have never gotten a ticket nor have I ever been in an accident and I ...

Car insurance question?
I know theres a ton of factors in deciding the price but what would be my best bet, 19 years old, one fender bender, and three non-moving citations?...

My car was a total loss, my insurance wants to go for a settlement? ?
My car was a total loss, my insurance wants to go for a settlement? how do i know that they are giving me a fair settlement? do i check the blue book value for my car when it was brand new, or as a ...

$200 deductible for windshield replacement?
I have the comprehensive option on my insurance and am using it to replace my car's windshield. There's apparently a $200 deductible when going through insurance company... I always thought ...

I'm 16 years old and need to buy auto insurance.?
The company I'm buying from gives reductions for taking a driver's ed course. They also give discounts for good grades. My grades are usually all As and I took driver's ed. However, I&#...

No papers on truck?
OK there are these 2 tucks for sale and the guy says he has no papers for them. Im not stupid and go buy them and have him report them stolen and me get screwed but I was wonderin cant he go get ...

Insurance for my 19yr college son?
I live in NY State. My son is 19 and just got his license. He lives on college campus and only will be driving my car when he comes home to visit on weekends. Do I still need seperate insurance ...

Deadly car accident. about damage claims and advice?
I was harm badly in a car accident.

That day was my girlfriend birthday party. We invited lot of peoples. After we ate we went to bowling together. After that we would go back to the ...

Driving lessons?
does anyone know of a good driving instructor in the blackburn area? learning in an automatic car? i was with BSM but unfortunately i had to leave because their prices went up and being a housewife ...

U r in an accident,on private property in WV, both drivers think they're not at fault,how does insurance work
I was backing my car out and so was another car , we collided, the police wouldn't come because it was on private property, we are in disagreement on fault, how does the insurance work? He ...

Can i drive a 9 seater vehicle on a normal driving licence?
I want to hire a 9 seater to go on a road trip but not sure if i am allowed to on a standard driving licence gained in 1999!...

If car insurers had men only policy would the liberal brigade be out in protest?

Additional Details
lol analamsta. It's always the commie huggers who throw around the labelling....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links