Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

What would happen if someone is driving my car without a drivers license?
Find answers to your legal question.

What would happen if someone is driving my car without a drivers license?

Additional Details
Can i go to jail?

Jay
Rating
If they are in an accident, you are wholly responsible and your insurance company can refuse to pay. Insurance companies don't cover unlicensed drivers.

If they don't have a license because it is REVOKED (as opposed to suspended), they can impound your car.

You wouldn't go to jail, unless perhaps there was an accident that claimed a life. But it could end up costing you a lot of money.

linz_b
Rating
if they are caught they are issued a citation for driving without a license, and can have the car impounded

bobby_sunshine_kinnaird
Rating
your car would more than likely be towed and then you would be called

yager19
Rating
In New York State you will get charged with "Permitting Unlicensed Operation", if an accident happens you can also be personally sued and your insurance may not cover you for damages.

D Bauched
Rating
They would most likely receive a citation for operating a vehicle without registration/license.

If there is no one in the car with a license, they would probably make you leave the car somewhere or have it towed.

Coronas Mom
Rating
You tell them to get a license... You can GET INTO big trouble as long as them...

rossi574
Ok here's the thing....If the person who is driving your car doesn't have a license and gets pulled they will impound your car and give the person a summons for driving with out a valid license.

If the person gets into a car accident with your vehicle and it was their fault, your company might pay for the damages, can't say that they won't because I have seen many cases where insurance companies do pay. They are insuring your car for third party liability (ie your vehicle was involved in the accident) therefore most companies will pay. Of course, you will have to explain yourself as to why you let a unlicensed driver use your car.

You will not be charged with aiding and abetting or get arrested.

mustanger
Rating
If you allowed them to drive it, you could be charged with aiding and abetting.

shadedwite
Rating
they can be charged driving without license and or grand theft auto. Second can be dropped if u tell the police that the car was not stolen but was borrowed without ur knowledge that the driver didn't have a license. And don't forget the insurance part as well.

Bonnie B
Rating
If you let someone without a license drive your car than you are taking the chance of that person possibly being involved in an accident that your insurance company would not have to cover and expenses to cover the damages to your car and someone elses vehicle or bodily damage to them could result in coming out of your pocket.Also if the police happen to pull your vehicle over you are taking the chance that your vehicle will be impounded and that person could go to jail and you would inquire all the expenses to get your vehicle back.

Child of God
Rating
What the first answerer said, and Your insurance company can also drop you if they find out regardless of an accident. If you carry liability insurance, the only drivers covered are the ones who are listed on the policy.

entidtil
Rating
You both are in a heap of trouble. DO NOT ALLOW IT !

L
Worst case scenaro---The driver goes to jail, your car is impounded.
If the cop is nice, he may let the driver call to have someone pick up the car and let him go with a summons but they still have to go to criminal court and face fines, possible jail time if they get in an accident, revoke the privledge to obtain a drivers license for a certain amount of time.

Or they may just let you go...

pretty
NO, THEY WOULD. UNLESS YOU HAD PRIOR KNOWLEDGE OF IT, AND IM GUESSING YOU DO.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

My car was stolen but I never reported it to my insurance company.?
My car was stolen 3 months ago and I reported it to the police but not my insurance company. I transferred my insurance over to another car a few days later because I needed transport. I was hoping ...

Is there a car insurance company that only ask if you have any convictions within the last 3 yrs instead of 5?

Do i need insurance for a new car?
OK, so i'm thinking of getting a WRX STi, thing is im 19 and insurance for me is going to be super high. And someone told me if I was to get a loan from the bank I would be able to get ...

My wonderful beetle was parked on the road when two joyriders with a mini-cooper hit it.?
I am comprehensively insured and I wondered whether the mini-coopers owner's 3rd party bit of their insurance covers my excess? What happens in these instances? My insurance company haven't ...

Multiple vehicle shunt - who pays?
If you are in a multiple shunt, is the person at the back who initially caused the accident liable for the damage to all the cars involved?...

What happens if i dont pay a speedin ticket?
i got pulled the next day after thanksgiving and i got a ticket but it didnt say how much i need to play or when i have 2 go 2 court.....

When I added my 16 year old daughter's name to my auto insurance policy my premium doubled. Is this normal?

My friend's car was totaled in an accident recently, will her insurance pay off her car even if...?
She hasn't been making her monthly payments. My friend put me down as a reference when she got her car loan, and now they are constantly calling me asking for my friend. She hasn't paid ...

How does the mainland UK car reg system work? For instance, whats the difference in a 53 plate & a 04 one?

Pulled over without insurance....?
I was pulled over tonight and could not provide proof of insurance because i have none....I have one month to show the court insurance and my newly registered tags (the reason i got pulled over) if i ...

If you are deemed at fault in a wreck, are any of the damages to your own car covered?
I was recently involved in a minor fender bender - the guy in front of me stopped suddenly and I slid right into him when I put on my brakes (ice on the road). I understand that my coverage will ...

How do you get your driving licence back after a ban?

Am a first time offender for driving without a DL and no insuarance in tx..whats my fate as to finacial costs?
The surcharges....do i have to pay them all,i mean the annually cost of three years at once?And whats the traffic ticket gonna look like?...am estimating something less than 400 dollars...it was ...

Got into accident. Insurance sent a 2-party check (me+bodyshop). Can I cash/keep the check somehow?

When I get my new licence..?
I'm getting a new licence soon because mine expired. Will I have the same licence number?

Also, what exactly is the point of having licences expire?
Additional Details
H...

Driving test eeeeppp!!!?
got my driving test in week nd half nf bricking it!!!
any tips?
or stories XD...

What are the best ways for a new, young driver to get cheap(ish) car insurance?
I have been looking online on countless insurance websites and comparison sites and the lowest quote I get to insure a 689cc Smart ForTwo is around £2000. That is almost as much as the car!!
The ...

My ex has stolen my log book...?
I own a car. It has outstanding finance in my name on it and I still owe the finance company a lot of money.

My ex has sent off the log book and has filled it in in her name. She has come ...

Convicted of DUI in employer's vehicle. Who's insurance will be affected?

Why are younger drivers charged more for insurance isnt that techincally age discrimnation?

Additional Details
if it was any other type of company they would be in trouble so why are insurance companies ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, August 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links