Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Who is responsible for a deceased's car payments?
Find answers to your legal question.

Who is responsible for a deceased's car payments?

When someone dies, and a car (that is not yet paid off) is left to family members, what happens? Does the loan automatically change to the repsonsiblity of the heirs, or must the family members get their own loan and pay off the deceased's loan? And how do you go about switching everything over to the new owner? Please HELP!

J.D.
If the deceased assigned an executor to handle their affairs after their death then that would be the person. They would need many copies of the death certificate and effect the will in probate court. Afterwards, they can dispense any assets (including cars) through the estate. Changing the name to a new owner would then be easy.
If the deceased was a minor, the surviving parents would handle it.

Wizzard2
Rating
The Estate owes the full amount on death, and the lien survivies if it is not paid. Im certain they would allow a family member to assume the payments if at all practical

CowboyBill
A loan is not assumable. Entire amount is due upon death or the vehicle reverts to ownership (bank). Probate lawyer will be very helpful when dealing with any estate problems -- well worth the money.

weasel
Rating
If I was you I would just call an attourney and ask them to know that your doing the right thing. They don't charge to sit and advise over the phone.

Mopar Muscle Gal
Rating
you need to ask these questions to the probate attorney handling the case

Dave
It would become the responsibility of the new owner of the vehicle or would be paid off by the deceased estate.

As said above, Talk to your attorney handling the case.

First Lady
The beneficiary would be responsible to either pay it or sell it.

Cammi
If the deceased did not leave a will giving this posession to them, then it would depend on the laws in our city, municipality. If there is a loan on the vehicle, probably be able to request to purchase the vehicle, but if you were left as heir, then you would be responsible to pay for it, take over the loan or get it foreclosed. This is not legal advice. Just an educated guess. Look into local laws and see if the deceased left a will.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I had car accident,i had three fractures at my leg,its not my fault my attorney said he dosent have good insur
the guy who hit me dosent have good insurance,and my attorney said you will not have that much money from the claim,and im almost disable ,I dont know how to deal with my attorney or what i have to ...

How much should I expect to pay for car insurance? 19 year old African American in Georgia.?
Driving a 1999 jeep grand cherokee or a 99 honda civic.

What do you think I should expect to pay?...

I have got a 96 reg car and I want to buy a private reg plate 4 it the 1 i'm after is bk07bok can I due 2 age
I have got a 96 reg car and I want to buy a private reg plate 4 it the 1 i'm after is bk07bok can I due 2 age off my car. just something i picked up on website but not sure ...

Auto accident. Person at fault denies liability. What can I do?
My car was run off the road and damaged when it hit the curb, the vehicles never made contact. The person driving stopped, apologized, we exchanged information, spoke to the police, and she even ...

Where can I find Insurance for both car & motorcycle in one policy?

Involved in very minor accident with trivial damage. Insurance already contacted. What to do?
The other day I was pulling out of my driveway and accidently ran into my wife's friend's car. The damage was very minor - a VERY small dent in the front of the car. I offered to fix it ...

How long do you have to wait before you can resit a driving test again after failing?

I have a question about a Non-Operation vehical in CALIFORNIA?
hey, does anyone who lives in california know if there is a fee to have an Non-Operation car ?
someone told me i need to pay some fee to get tags for a car that im not using or doesnt run.
<...

What's the worst that can happen?
If after you get your car repo'd the finance company finds out that you let your insurance lapse. Will they still let you get your car back?...

What to do after i hit someone's car?
I was on a highway driving at about 60km/h behind a green Kancil. suddenly a taxi overtook him in order to go over the overhead bridge therefore the Kancil in front of me engaged a emergency break ...

Leased car got totaled...1 year of payments left. Do we have to pay them?
A few days ago, I got into an accident and the car got totalled. The insurance company agreed and totalled the car. Now I still have 1 year left of payments, does the insurance payout cover that?
<...

I was hit by someone who was not on an insurance policy, eventhough the car is insured.?
My attorney says their insurance Nationwide denied my claim cos the person who caused the accident was not on the policy, even if they live in the same household as the policy holder. Is this legal? ...

What is the penalty for leaving the scene of an accident?
The other day I was involved in an accident in a parking garage, but I had no idea that I had actually hit the other girl's car and so I kept driving. No one was injured and I guess she must ...

What band car insurance is my car?
ITS A MITSABISHI PAJERO 4X4, 2.477CC, DIESEL,AUTOMATIC...

I purchased a car 1 year ago and never recieved the title. how can i get the title?

Can I car my car back from sister?
I had no license at the time so couldn't get the title in my name. The car broke and cost $500 to fix so my step mother paid for it. My sister's car broke down for good so she had no car to ...

Have a question for all those knowledgeable about cars, insurance, etc.? Is this true?
Is it true that two door vehicles are more costly, insurance wise, than four door vehicles? I ask because I am considering purchasing a certain vehicle; however, i'd rather have the coupe than ...

Good cars for insurance?
well im turning 16, and im getting a car, what my parents are talking abut is getting a good car, that is safe and taht the insurance is not extremly expensive, so my question is to someone with ...

Had uk driving licence since 1953 have lost it recently?
can i apply for ...

Why is my car insurance so high?
I was wondering how the hell progressive could've swithed my birthdate with my dad's who is dead! They told me last week it would cost me $817 for 6 months of insurance on my 07 Pontiac G5.<...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, September 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links