Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Why do i have to have car insurance on my son, when his dad bought him a car. he never drives my car.?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why do i have to have car insurance on my son, when his dad bought him a car. he never drives my car.?

I have a 17 year old son, his dad has bought him a truck, which is in his name and paying insurance on it. why do i have to have him listed on my insurance policy just because he lives with me, and doesnt even drive my car?

handk45
Rating
if your son is a licensed driver and lives in your house then he has to be listed on your policy. Now if your son never ever drives your car you can have him exempted from you policy. You would need to sign a form from your insurance and he will be excluded for the life of the policy. So if he drives your car and gets in accident there will be no coverage. hope this helps

EQ
Rating
Because all licensed drivers in your household have to be. Unless you have him specifically excluded on the policy.

As I recall, though, it shouldn't be too bad on your policy if he has his own primary vehicle.

michelle
Rating
probably because he's still a minor and in your custody and household, with access to your car. if you think that something is wrong with the policy, check with your insurance agent.

bostonianinmo
Rating
Everyone who lives in your household must be on your policy. That's standard practice industry-wide.

Since he is primary on another policy you can list him as a "prohibited" driver on your car and should not have to pay any additional premium. Your insurance company may want a copy of the declarations page from his policy as proof that he's covered on another policy.

blb
All drivers in the household have to be listed on the policy. Some companies will not charge you if you show them that he is listed as a driver on another policy. Not just that he has a car for use but actually listed as a driver. Do not exclude him from your policy. If he were to move your car, take it to the store and got into an accident there is no coverage for him driving. You would have signed a form stating this.

PeppermintandPopcorn
Listed, doesn't really mean that he would have coverage. Most companies can exclude him (saying he lives there) but if he hops in and takes a joy ride - there is no coverage.

sovereign_carrie
Rating
You need to name him as an adult of driving age on your insurance. This is in the event of an emergency, and will not affect your premium unless you list him as an occasional driver of your vehicle. Every adult that drives a vehicle needs to be known about in the event that your car goes missing from the front yard, they have names of people to start looking for. Or if you need to go to the emergency room, and your son is driving and gets stopped, the cop will see that the insurance company at least knows about his existance and will allow you on your way. His insurance company needs to know about your existance, too. It works both ways.

xtrapr
You don't.

Your insurance company should have a form for you to fill out and sign which excludes him from your policy coverage.

At least in my state you can.

Aspen Dreamer
Rating
Insurance is for the vehicle damage, in the case of an accident, not for the driver...

Unless you have PIP, which is personal injury protection and that's for the person...

If there is a loan on the car, you might be required to have both vehicle damage coverage and bodily injury protection...

I believe the insurance will cover him no matter what vehicle he happens to be in at the time of an accident...
That way he is also protected as a passenger while you are the main driver...

If you are divorced or separated the insurance covers him because he lives with you under your roof as a minor and you are required to pay for your minor child till they are 18...

cat
Rating
My parents never added me to their policy, I never drove their car either. Your insurance company may just be trying to get more money out of you, you should talk to them and tell them you don't want your son on your policy.

Nunoyvgvna Awi
Rating
never heard of that. I'd ask around....sounds like your insurance agency is trying to keep his income the same and not lose part of your account.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Car insurance claim?
Someone reversed into the front of my son's car today. She admitted responsibility and gave her details. My son has contacted his insurance and they are contacting hers.
My question is;

Can I fix my own car AND collect insurance money?
If someone hits me and the insurance company cuts me a check. And then I fix the car myself is that legal?

I didn't know if that money was yours to do what you want with it or if you ...

Who is at fault???
I was driving at a junction , very slowly, max 15 mph, and the car in front breaked suddenly as we were turning right. I bumped into the back of her car, she had a tow bar on , so I got the most ...

Car Insurance for someone who has made a claim and has 3 points on thier licence?
I am looking for car insurance for my mum - she is 49 years old. She has 3 points on her licence (from going through an amber/red light 2 years ago and she recently made a claim after scraping the ...

Can i sue the guy that is at fault for hitting me in a car accident if he doesnt have insurance?
I was involved in a car accident and the person who hit me was determined at fault. After he hit me, he fled the scene to hide his car because he had drugs in his car. He begged me not to call the ...

After a car is declared a total loss by insurance,what happens to the vehicle?
can i get the check and the ...

How do i obtain a car title that is missing and the person that gave it to me passed away?
my aunt gave me a saturn..and im trying to get it switched over to my name but i cant with out the car title..my aunt passed away from cancer recently..we looked everywhere for the title..i cant find ...

Someone hit my car over a week ago now, said they'd pay in full, but now "paying 1/2." what should I do?
I was parked on their road and their 16 year old daughter backed into my car. They left a note saying to come talk to them, and I did. I went to their house with the phone in my hands to call the ...

If I barely scuffed a bumper while backing out, and there were no witnesses or police report?
There were no recorded witnesses, no police report, but he did get my insurance information. Is it true that he doesn't have enough to make me or my insurance pay unless I admit my fault? Also,...

What company do you use for auto insurance?
What kind of coverage do you have and is it cheap? I have Statefarm and I think they are ripping me off. On every one of my statements they list "policy changes" and charge around five ...

Do you have to have a insurence under YOUR name to drive your parents car once or twice a week?

What is the best car insurance for a teen driver?
I need to find insurance for myself, and wanted to know what other people use or think is the best place to get it from. I need to pay for it by myself with out help form my parents too so it can'...

My girlfriends just passed her test and phoned Admiral insurance to inform them and they wanted £60 off her?!?
Do all insurance companies do this???

We havent changed her mileage for the year but they said its going up because she will be driving more on her own???

Can we do anything if ...

Overtake on the left?
I was on a single carriage road and overtook on the left. Car coming from opposite and turning right was flashed in and I hit it. Their insurance say road was too narrow to overtake on left. I say ...

What happens if i reverse and accidentally "kiss" the bumper of another car?
i was pulling out of a parking lot this afternoon and the back of my car accidentally kiss an indian's car, causing a dent the size of a 50cent coin and a few scratches on the bumper.

How long does it take for a speeding ticket to come off your insurance?
My husband got a speeding ticket 7/26/2004. We have State Farm Insurance and live in the state of Ohio. I know it varies from state to state and by offense. I'm interested in a speeding ...

I lost my wallet?
don't worry no money in ...

I got my permit to drive and do my parents have to get insurance 4 me 2 drive?

A question about car insurance?
whats your opinion, why car insurance is so high?. do you think the accidents on the road and up goes your insurance are young drivers, drunk drivers, junk cars on the road, or do you think its ...

I am looking for reasonable priced driving lessons is it true its more expensive to learn in an automatic?
anyone got a rough idea how much per lesson i should be paying i live in the merseyside ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links