Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Why is my car valued as worthless by my insurance company?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why is my car valued as worthless by my insurance company?

my car when i first insured it was valued as £1000
but it was vandalised the damage was a valued as £500 to fix it
but my insurance company then didnt pay out anything to me as they said the car was not worth it.
why am i paying fully comp insurance when insurances companies dismiss my car as worthless everytime it comes to making a claim?.

; - }
Rating
Sadly, they're looking at the value of the car as a saleable item, not what value it holds for a person using it. They can't sell it for anything so they list it as worthless but you use it daily and pay dearly to insure it, so it has a great value for you. If you can, I suggest that you find a different insurance company. Why continue paying your current insurance company if they aren't honoring the agreement they have with you?

barn owl
more information required you do not say how long ago it was worth £1000 and what condition it was in frankly I cannot see the point in insuring a car fully comp at that value

tinkicker0
if your policy excess exceeds the value of the vehicle, then they will not pay out.

wampaskitty2001
Rating
When cars or trucks have been in a accident or been vandelized and it cost more than 70% of total value of the auto the Insurance Company will count it as a total loss, you only get a appraised value, it's not right but that is how it works.

CowboyBill
Rating
Unsure about there -- in the States if cost of repairs exceed the value or a set percentage of the value, the vehicle is declared a total loss and the insurer pays you the ACV (actual cash value) for your vehicle. Could be that this is the same case or you have a large deductible.

Mark B
Insurance companies can only go by the book price as to whether its worth repairing or not. I can insure my old cavalier for £1000 but in reality it will be lucky to be worth half that in true value.

So if I claim my insurance and the cost of the repair exceeds very little combined with the cost of them supplying a courtesy car then my car will be written off for perhaps £150-£200 damage.

Marcie E
You shouldn't, you need liability only why cover a car that has no value? You don't have to cover the car in order to cover your personal liability. Just call your insurance provider and set up a personal insurance review and they can go over all of your options.

bostonianinmo
Because your car IS worthless as far as the insurance company is concerned. With a car of such a low value, it's not worth carrying fully comp cover. It's really not worth carrying TPF&T either. Stick with TPO (statutory cover) and save some dosh.

If your excess was £500 or more, they would not owe you anything on a claim of £500.

jimmy t
It may help if you told us the make,model and age of your car. The insurance companies are there to make money not be kind to people. The first offer the insurance companies come out with are always there to rip you off, get together some advert from auto trader,loot, free ads etc to show them how much it would actually cost to replace and send them in. The other problem you may have is that because you are fully comp you will proberly have a large excess on your policy.

It is completely unfair for it to be against the law for people to drive uninsured only to have to pay extortionate amounts to a profit making company.

MARK C
Rating
is your deductable 500 or more that is why you may have not been paid !

fred405
Rating
Don't accept this. It is their way of trying not to pay up

Your car will have some value and they know it

If the car is uneconomical to repair then they are duty and law bound to make you an offer in view of the current market forces to either return your car repaired to its pre-accident condition or offer you compensation to it's market value

Ask for a claim supervisor and if they won't help ask for a manager and so on til you either get reasonable satisfaction or the top man

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Who hates to go to.................?
the division of motor vehicles and wait and wait and wait, And is it a requirement for the people who work there to be a## holes?...

Is this normal for auto insurance?
I have got quote from almost all the comapnies, esurance, geico, state farm, farmers, allstate, and some more . All of them gave me quotes in the upper $2500 for full coverage. The only one were ...

If i let someone drive my car with suspended license, can my insurance company refuse to pay in event of acc.?

Additional Details
thank's for all the responses, i was fairly certain it would be a mistake. i was asking for a friend to let her know that she shouldn't do something that ...

Car accident, my fault, my insurance company not paying for one of the cars involved. what to do?
I was involved in an accident involving 3 cars. It was my fault. I'm fully insured. My car and one of the other cars in the accident are being repaired with my insurance company. The third car ...

Mother got rear ended in a car accident?
Hi my mother got rear ended in a car accident a month ago, and the insurance agent just now got back with us on a settlement. The driver was suspected to be drinking (as notated in the police report)...

Fender bender today need HELP!!!?
Fenderbender today, the other driver was @ fault, I called my Ins. they told me to get a est. so i did $822.Got home tonight and had a message from the mother telling me she wanted 3 est. and wanted ...

Can I be Sued if my brother has a car accident in my car?
Yesterday Morning my brother had horriblele car accident resulting in the death of the other drive and the totaling of both cars. He walked awa totally unharmed, Thank GOD! But now I am am scared. C...

I hit a cab who was making an illegal u-turn. He got the ticket. Should I contact my insurance company or his?
The cab company said they'd contact me. But they haven't and its been a few days already....

I Had a Car Accident Now What?
i had a small car accident on Saturday night which left little scratch on the left front door of her car

she took my details and insurance company name etc and she refused to take money ...

Is it true you can save money on car insurance by switching to geico?

Are there anyways of lowering my car insurance? 19 Yr Old Male.?
Im a 19 year old male and I have my own suzuki swift sport which I have worked hard for for the last few years. The only thing is my insurance is around £3000 a year (brand new car)........ I dont ...

Will I be able to drive...???
a rental car that my brother is getting for the Thanksgiving Holiday, we're going on vacation as a family, but he wants to get his own car so my mom is getting a separate rental car for him, ...

My parked car was hit by a drunk driver which completely ruined it, is there anything I can do?
My vehicle is 10 years old and last night a woman hit it while it was parked outside my house. She hit my front driver side (at the tire) pushing it back 15 feet and up onto the curb, which turned ...

How much did you pay?
When you were taking your driving lessons?I use to pay £2.50...

Do disqualified drivers have to re sit their driving test?
hi mate was banned for 6 monthes got her licence back but someone said she has to resit her driving test is this true dvla havent said anything about it?
Additional Details
yes i agree ...

Who's Car Insurance Would Handle the Accident?
My sister has been driving my mother's car (Loan, registration, insurance in my mother's name) Occasionally she allows her boyfriend to drive the car, although my mother has stated on ...

Am i supposed to add my 15 year old son to my insurance if he is in driver's ed. and practicing in my car?
My son is in driver's education class and he is practicing driving my car. Am i supposed to add him to my insurance? or is it covered since he is enrolled in driver's education?...

Do you text while driving?
I see a lot of people doing this, and I've heard of a lot of accidents because of it around here. I personally gave it up....

What would be the best convertible car for a 17yo (UK)?
What would be the best convertible car for a 17yo (UK)?
Hey,
Im turning 17 in a few months, ive been working for my dads company for quite a while and hes treating me to a company car, (ie ...

I have a drving question? if u take drivers ed in skool do u get ur liscencs wen ur 16, adn can u drive then?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links