Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Will my insurance total my car?
Find answers to your legal question.

Will my insurance total my car?

i currently have a blown head gasket in my car, i have progressive insurance. i have only liability, but the highest amt. in all the categories, Just no comprehensive. i called them and they told me i have to take care of the head gasket out of pocket because it is a maintenance issue. but i asked her if my motor was to blow if they would consider my car totaled, and give me the value of my car as if i had a wreck. she didn't really have an answer, she said a blown motor might fall under the maintenance category, but she wasn't sure how they would handle it. what do you all think? i really don't have the money to pay for a new head gasket, and im not planning on intentionally blowing my motor or anything stupid like that, but if it were to happen would i get my little check from the insurance company

MSAD
Rating
If all you have is liability coverage - you will have to pay out of pocket for anything that happens to your car. You have no coverage for physical damage to your car. As others have said - Liability pays for damge/injuries you cause to other people. It does not pay for your car.

Even if you had collision or comprehensive coverage - Progressive (or any other insurer for that matter) would not pay for a blown head gasket. That is a maintenance issue and is specifically excluded.

If the cost to repair the blown head gasket is more than the value of the car (where it running) then the car is a total. If you can't fix the car, then I suggest you contact a local scrap yard and see what they would by the car as scrap for - then go purchase another car.

fighting saints
There is no legit way for you to get paid for this by your insurance. Insurance does not cover maintenance issues. It is not a warranty coverage, it is an accident coverage. Blowing the motor is not covered .......... period.

Besides, You only have liability coverage which does not cover any physical damages to your car, only to other cars you run into.

Sorry, but you're on your own here.

Gambit
Regardless of whether you have liability only or you purchased every coverage Progressive offers, mechanical breakdown (whether it be the blown head gasket or damage to the engine because of the blown head gasket) is NOT covered.

CwboyBill
Rating
Forget this line of thinking -- Progressive, as all insurers, will only pay for COVERED losses, such as fire, theft, flood, collision, etc. An internal engine failure will not get paid under your insurance policy.

Game over.

BigD
If you have liability only, they will not total your car as liability only covers the damages that the other guy has if the accident is your fault.

No insurance company will cover damages caused by lack of maintenance. If your car is not drivable due to a blown head gasket, that is on you to fix, not your insurance company to replace.

dzerjb
It is your responsibility t maintain your car, not your insurance company's.
If you do not maintain your car, it could invalidate your insurance.

Kizzy
Rating
Liability coverage is for any damage sustained to the other parties vehicle if your at fault for an accident. It does not cover you or your vehicle.

Even if you did carry comprehensive, a blown head gasket IS a maintenance issue and not covered under your policy. IF your engine blew, again, it is considered a maintenance issue and there is no coverage. If you went back to them stating it was due to an accident, you still have no coverage under collision...and if you did, you'd be committing fraud.

al t
years ago I ran outta gas and the car stalled....I couldn't start it up because there was no gas in the tank....I called my insurance company and said I wanted to collect on my "collision"....they said no, I had to "comprehensive"....I said, Ok, I'll fill out the necessary paperwork....I called again after waiting about a week, then the same girl said no, not "comprehensive", but I had to "comprehend"....I said "comprehend what?" ..."comprehend that you are a total moron" she said....I said, OK, but still mail me the check....moral of the story? Yes, you must comprehend that you are a total moron for asking such a stupid question.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Uninsured car wreck?
I was in an auto accident and the guy who rear-ended me did not have any insurance (liability or comp). What can I do? I did have uninsured motorist insurance but my insurance agent says that it'...

I need help!!! Please?
I just got into a car accident. It wasn't my fault and it a new car and I haven't paid it off yet do I go to the dealer n see if they can fix it with the ...

Was hit from behind.....car insuranse?
Hi

I had an accident almost one month ago. It was slow traffic, I stopped and the car hit me from behind. The driver of the told she was hit from behind by somebody else who got away, and ...

Do I still have to pay a ticket on an out of state license, that's expired and I no longer use?
I am switching to a new state license and I just got a ticket today, once the license is switched do I still have to pay?
Additional Details
I don't want to hear about breaking the ...

If personal property is stolen from your vehicle is it an auto claim or a homeownwer claim?

Only got car registration ..no title?
I bought a new car from a dealer and recently received the registration but no the title. Is this unusual?...

What do i do after this car wreck?
i got into a car wreck the other day. now neck neck and back hurts real bad. what do i do? tell my insurance co?...

If everyone in my household is covered why do I have to inform the insurance company my teenager is driving?

Would you get fined if you scrap your car after your mot and tax has ran out?

Additional Details
IN THE UK!!...

Find address from license plate?
Hello ;) is there a way to find the owner's address from a license plate? If there is a online site please show me... and is it free? or does it cost money? If it costs money is it for reals? T...

Can I book my theory test for when im 17, before my 17th birthday?
I want to book it early as I know there is a long wait, so if i booked a few weeks before my 17th birthday I can take it straight away as I want to do a crash course....
T...

Rental car insurance?
since all states require a car to have insurance, why is it necessary or me to purchase coverage when I rent a car? If something happens their coverage will pay for the damage....

Can you drive your parents' car without insurance?
I am 17 years old.
I live in California.
They have insurance for their cars,and I am licensed.
Their insurance are Mercury,and AAA.

thank ...

How lower car insurance?
ok im about to get my license and im a teenage boy. my parents would like to get me a car but the insurance is insane!!!!! wat could we do to lower my car insurance besides those classes. ...

Car insurance question?
how much would car insurance be for a 19 year old?...

Is car insurance denied if involved in accident while driving with a expired driver's license?
My wife just noticed her driver's license has expired. She has aready renewed it over the web but the new DL will only arrive in 15 to 20 days. As she needs to drive before the new DL arrives, ...

Can I sue someone after a car accident?
I was in a car accident, other persons fault. My car is totalled. The insurance company wont cover the entire cost of what my loan is. Can I sue the guy that hit me for the difference? Or are ...

Should I buy this vehicle even though it has had an accident? Will I have problems with insurance?
Here is the vehicle: http://www.autocheck.com
I have State Farm insurance....

I was sue in small claims for car accident the plantiff's insurance paid for their car and now are calling me.?
the plaintiff has already sue me for damages their insurance company has now repaired their car and is trying to get the money from me what should I do. I am required to pay the plaintiff, but their ...

Driving in U.S.A !!!?
Can I use my old style paper driving licence to hire a car in Florida???...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, August 28, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links