Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

contacting DVLA for lost log book?
Find answers to your legal question.

contacting DVLA for lost log book?

hi,
i bought a new car about 3 weeks ago, and the old owner said he sent the log book back to the dvla the same day. when i emailed the dvla asking where it was they said they had not recieved it.

i tried to ring them up and its all automated messages and i cant get through to anyone. it told me i had to get a lost form and it would cost ME £20 to replace it even though ive never recieved it.

First question is what do i do now? who do i blame

and seconadly, does anyone know a number i can call at the dvla where i talk to a real person

cheers

Timbo is here
If you have the new keeper supplement from the previous owners log book it will not cost you more than a stamp to send off the V62 form from the post office.
If the transfer has not been done properly and you have not got the new keeper supplement then it will cost £25.

See here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/AdviceOnBuyingAndSellingAVehicle/DG_4022404

Pauline B
Hi the same thing happened to me. They tell you to wait at least 6 weeks for your new log book to come through as it can take that long to process the new log book and send it to you. If you haven't got it by 6 weeks get a V62 form from your local post office. When you bought the car you should have got a green slip from the old log book send this away with the V62. You don't have to pay anything for your new log book as there is a bit on the V62 that you tick saying you are the new keeper but have never received the log book.

WelshLad
Rating
Replacing a lost or stolen registration certificate

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/AdviceOnBuyingAndSellingAVehicle/DG_4022404

All you need know without phoning, also if you have the green new keeper supplement then you don't need to pay (photocopy it before you send it off with the V62).

ALAN T
Rating
There are no real people employed at the DVLA just idiots, I hope you have got your bit of the log book that the old owner should have given to you otherwise you could well have been ripped off with a ringer.

JonCleaver
Rating
Timbo is spot on!

<----->
"Pauline B" and "Timbo is here" are correct.

I would suggest waiting the full six weeks as it could be sitting in a mailbag in the DVLA Swansea post room waiting to be processed.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why didn't gap insurance transfer to me?
I had a car loan with a reputable car loan company. When I asked about gap insurance, they told me that it was built into the loan.

When I had my car repossessed, they still held me ...

How much does it cost to replace a lost license in the state of Florida?
I left my wallet on top of my car and it fell into the abyss :(...

What states allow illegal immigrants to get a drivers license?

Do i need a new birth certificate as proof of identity for a provisional licence or an old one ?
i have an old birth certificate and a new one but my new 1 has already been sent off for my passport when im going on holiday but i need at least two things for proof of identity for my provisional ...

Ohio driving question?
I'm 17 and i have my license, how many passengers can I have in the car with me?...

When a car accident and is not your fault?
I got the police report was told to send it to Austin and they contact both insurance companies.I wondered if I should first talk to my company and am wondering if the other insurance company is ...

Does points from Ohio license transfer to Virginia?
I have license from Ohio and like to transfer to Virginia. My question is...are the points also transferred?
Additional Details
I am editing this question....
Does a violation in Va ...

Do I have retake the permit test if my license expires in South Carolina?
The due date is 6/22/10, I'm going to renew it on 6/22/10(the day it expires), would they make me retake the permit test?
Additional Details
Yes, I'm aware it's today....

Teen Car Insurance Accidents Clarification?
I'm a 16 year old girl who just got her license in March. A week after I got my license, I rear ended another car while driving my mom's new car that is insured. We got it fixed and only ...

can my husband switch a car title from mine name to his without my signature?
my husband and I separated and I won't give him the truck, but he says that the law says after thirty days I don't have to sign it and he can put it in his name without my signature....

What happen if drive car with no insurance?
i've been buying this used car since last 2 weeks and drive it with no insurance. The MOT and tax will end in August. I just cant afford to buy the insurance yet. What happen if i don't ...

Where to get the Top health insurance quotes?
I eagerly waiting, to know about Health Insurance plans and quotes.
needs info!!!...

How long will my license be suspended?
I was going 104. (Yes, yes... way too fast. Shouldn't have done that and I was risking lives. I'm never speeding again).

But how long will my license be suspended? This is my 2nd ...

Hours a kid with a permit can drive?
I want to drive but my mom says i cant cuz its to late ( 12:15am) is she right?...

drivers license questions?
Im seventeen an I wanted to know how many questions are on the newyork learners permit test?...

PLEASE ANSWER. Questions about drivers license?
If you know the answers to ANY of these questions, can you please answer :)
*** I'm 18 years old. In California (if it makes a difference).

- To get a permit (take the written ...

Why does my car insurance cost too much?
I am 19 and just passed my test (UK). I have a 1.0 liter Micra and I have put my details in confused.com comparison website.
The quotes I am getting are around £4000. Is this right ? it seems ...

What do I do if the other party lied to their insurance company, which resulted in them denying my claim?
While at my stop sign, the other driver was approaching hers. I proceeded to cross the street, as I should have, because I had the right-of-way. Whether or not she stopped at her sign, I don't ...

How big of a bada$$ do you have to be to be a DMV security guard?
I walked into the DMV the other day and saw one. I mean thats gotta be right up there with mall security and rent a cop services right? I mean cream of the crop, top notch individuals right? They don&...

car accident, pretty sure its totaled, so i took out my stereo, amps and subs before they estimate it?
i took out my whole sound system that i paid around 1500 for. i didnt want them to total the car and not let me take my stuff out. now there is no radio, do i need to have a radio before the estimate ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links