Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

A cop wrote the wrong date on my ticket.... can it be cancelled???
Find answers to your legal question.

A cop wrote the wrong date on my ticket.... can it be cancelled???

i got in a lot of **** last night from a speeding ticket... but i got a ticket for driving past 12am with a provisional license... but i didnt know that i had to get it changed after a year. im 19 and have had my license since i was 17, and your only on provisional for a year. But i guess since i neve rgot a new one technically im still considered provisional... anywho... the sop wrote 4//08/09 on the ticket and thats the wrong year, this is gona be a hefty fine... is there anyway to get this thrown out cause its the worng date??
Additional Details
i live in NJ

White D
I think not.Cops make mistakes like everyone else.

TheBigC
Rating
No chance of it getting thrown out because of the wrong date. Especially since its the wrong year which is in the future...maybe they will make you wait till next year to pay it hahaa...no but seriously highly highly doubt that will affect it. they can just make the 9 an 8 and done.

Citicop
Rating
That is not enough of an error to get the ticket dismissed.

Rating
Forget it, the wrong date WILL NOT cancel the offense.

oxskittlefreekxo
Its still valid, and in the state that i'm from the MVA sends you a paper card to keep with your drivers license to upgrade from your provisional to your full drivers license.

If its your first offense, take it to court...likely you'll get a probation before judgement, which can mean they'll lower or get rid of the fine and if you have anymore tickets within a certain period of time, you'll lose your license for awhile.

If its not your first offense, its better to just pay the fine.

You're not getting out of it because of the wrong date on the ticket..unfortuneately

David H
You should go to court. The fact that you even have a provisional license is a paperwork error.

"But i guess since i neve rgot a new one technically im still considered provisional..."

You need to find out if this is correct. You have a valid license. I would think it should automatically become non-provisional after a certain amount of time. I wouldn't blindly trust the fact that you have a provisional license. Especially when you found out about it from an officer who doesn't know its 2008.

It's amazing how many people give bad legal advice on here. When in doubt, let the court figure it out. Your taxes pay for the courts. Use them. I go to court whenever I get a ticket(3 times in 20+ years). I've always managed to get a break. I can't promise you will, but it's worth a try. Dress nicely for court, and remember to remain professional at all times. Never tell a court official you are representing yourself unless they ask very specifically. If they ask "who are you representing?" just say your name.

alex h
Sorry no matter what happens...no one is above the law!

americanfreeman
Rating
no

Wounded Duck
Nope!

SWATorNOT
What state are you in? I do not believe it's required that you go to DMV and "change" your license after one year. It's no longer provisional after the time period that you were told.

I wouldn't fight the ticket based on the date. That doesn't work. But you may want to do some research as to where or not your license was actually provisional at the time you were cited for that violation. That may give you a better shot.

Bonnie C
Rating
Don't get your hopes up....if he/she shows up in court, it can be corrected. I assume the court date is right. It will probably get caught anyway, by him/her, or by the "citation clerk", or whoever submits it..... Or if they just catch it and correct the original before turning it in.....many possibilities.

skiingshmrck217
Rating
accually u may be able to fight that. the ticket must be accurate to count. I got a tickect that incorrectly stated the color of my car...and i got out of it. it may depend on your state. idk....but its worth a shot. it worked for me.

Heather V
no it does not matter, the ticket is still valid

Matt P
No, but it would be nice to have it thrown out. The wrong date on the ticket shows that the cop isn't perfect and isn't always right.

Daffyd M
Rating
possibly because it's technicaly inaccurate, but you might need a lawyer to fight this properly and that wouldn't be worth the cost

Carrie T
Rating
I think you have a decent shot at it. Take it to court and fight it!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is vandalizing your personal property enough to get a restraining order on a person?
My friends ex-girlfriend of 17 yrs has repeatitly vandelized his personal property . He has police reports. Can he and how if so can he get a restraining order against her in the state of C...

Is it normal for police officers to keep confiscated guns/drugs at their houses?
I won't exactly expound why I ask - but I suspect something's rather awry....

Innocent until proven guilty how does the state prove you were talking on you're cell phone if challenged?
I'm innocent until proven guilty...

Cop writes me a ticket for talking on my cell phone (this is hypothetical) I say I was not talking on my phone he must have been seeing things ...

Are the British Police behaving like yobs?
I saw the video of Ian Tomlinson being pushed to the ground and heard through the news that earlier he had been beaten by a baton weilding policeman.....this is fu*king disgraceful.
Additional D...

Should the police have acted differently?
Police arrested two kids yesterday just down the road. One was drinking battery acid, and the other was eating fireworks.They charged one and let the other one off.

What do you think of ...

Can my mother do anything?
i am 18 this year.will be 19 in december.i am in love with a man and he is 27years old.my mother knows about him and dont wnt me to marry him.she thinks he is too old for me.but to me the age doesnt ...

OK IM TIRED OF YOU PEOPLE TELLING ME TO GROW UP help me then if you think you can think of a better solution?
to this problem other than pay back. I have a guy who lives in the building and he's an alcoholic on welfare he continually stalks me and family members, harasses us and terrorizes the other ...

In British law as it stands if I am stopped by the police in the street ...........?
what are my rights as regards being questioned about my name and where I am going?...

What do you think about smoking car with minors banned in California?

Additional Details
lighting up in a car in Calif. with minors present may cost you $100.00...

Can an off duty cop do this?
I was in the car with my sister and I accidentally ran a stop sign (partially hidden by trees) in front of a truck, who was stopped and not turning yet. The man in the truck started yelling at us and ...

What is the longest time people can be kept in police cells?
I know with the prisons overcrowded this happens. I spent a weekend in a police cell waiting to go to court on Monday - was arrested on Friday night. There was just a mattress on the slab and had to ...

Is it considered a crime if some person presents himself as policeman in your country? Does the police react?
I feel frustrated, because it seems that it is not considered by police to be a crime in the country I live.

I informed the chiefs of operative police about tricksters, who play ...

How to see if I have an arrest warrant?
Is there a way to see if i have an arrest warrant? I am in Wayne County IN and want to check fo free online....

Police question?
so im writing a book where this young woman has an affair with a police officer. The officer is 23. but i was wondering if that is realistic, can someone that young be a police officer? would it be ...

Why do some people think punishment doesn't deter crime?
Should this not be looked at in tandem with the risk of being caught?...

Are you satisfied with the amount of service your BANK provides to black americans?

Is it wrong to post the same question in different categorys?
I thought that by posting it in more than one relevant category - more people would get the chance to read it and ...

When will W be thrown in jail?
After breaking so many laws. One would think he should be impeached and serving jail time. Illegal wire tapping, torture of prisonesrs, illegal detention, faith base initiatives, etc....

When is it appropriate for a police officer to draw a gun on someone?
A friend was on national forest land, target shooting legally. He was shooting into a target using a hill as a backstop. A cop entered the woods, drew his gun and demanded that my friend drop his ...

Why are cops going crazy with the taser these days?
I mean we've had numerous deaths already, and i've seen it used on people for nothing more than acting silly while drunk to the cops.

Are cops given too much lee-way when it ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, July 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links