Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Are police trained to shoot to kill?
Find answers to your legal question.

Are police trained to shoot to kill?

meaning like the sean bell case, once they open fire they shoot the target until it stops?

North of 49
Rating
The police department I recently retired from in Canada are trained to shoot for MASS (chest, heart area). When a shooting occurs, there is a lot of adrenalin pumping and unless the officer is doing this type of shooting everyday, it would be difficult to do what they show in Hollywood (shoot the gun out of their hand, or wound their shoulder at 100 yards etc). If the gun comes out and used, it's a shoot to kill. You don't keep shooting until the suspect is dead. The first shot is a shoot to kill and if (s)he goes down, you keep the gun trained on him and then do a threat assessment and take it from there.

x
Rating
When the decision is made to use "deadly force" I am trained to shoot at center mass to stop the threat as fast as possible.

I am not trained to kill, but to stop the threat.

Charley
Rating
Police officers shoot to live.

Clif S
No police are trained to shoot to STOP A THREAT there is no shoot to kill its just shoot to protect yourself, because if there is a cop shooting at you there is usually a very good reason for it.

The Padre
Police are trained to shoot for 'center mass'-- meaning the largest target area. And even that isn't easy, in the heat of the moment, with a moving target, when you have to take the time to be sure that you are shooting at the bad guy (and not an innocent bystander)-- but the bad guy doesn't worry about that, giving him time to shoot that much quicker. It's frustrating for officers to hear things like "Why didn't you try to shoot the gun out of his hand?", from people who've watched way too much television...

Dont Tread On Me...
No. We are trained to stop the threat. That doesn't mean killing, but death sometimes is a by product. Anyone who says police shoot to kill isn't a cop.

You said it yourself. We shoot to "stop the person." Not kill them, stop them.

Narco
Like the others said, we shoot to stop the threat. We are trained to aim center mass (your upper chest and torso area) due to it being the largest body part to hit. If that doesn't stop the threat then a cranial vault (head) shot might be in order. Again, to stop you, not to kill you.

Lots of officers in shooting will shoot someone several times and as soon as they go down they begin to administer CPR on the suspect.

sixpak666666
they are trained to aim for center mass (the chest area) it is the largest and easiest too hit, so it often ends in the suspect getting killed.

69chrger
Rating
no thier trained to shoot cans and bottles ......wat kind of question is this

tallerfella
Rating
If the target is a threat, you shoot until it is no longer a threat.

Copgirl
We shoot to stop the threat.

Jax Cop
Rating
They asked me why I shot the guy nine times. I said 8 wasn't enough and 10 was too many.

Tim
Rating
Dead men tell no tales hmmm so yes we do

David Hoang
Rating
I Think They Are.

London
I thought personally that (depending on the situation of course) if the subject is running away and not threatening anyone or them with a weapon, then they have to make all the effort to pursue without harming him, but if he is highly dangerous, shoot to stop him in pursuit, not kill.

Frank C
Rating
From what I recall, they are trained to shoot at the area that has the larges cross sectional area. I also understand they only withdraw their guns if they believe their life, or some one elses is threateded.

LesPaulGuitarist
Rating
I do not really know but they wont open fire until the other suspect starts shooting at them. I guess that they are trained to neutralize a suspect rather than kill, but my guess is that they will kill if the situation gets too tight or if necessary

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What is aggravated vehicular assault?

Gun laws in america?
should gun laws be tightened after the horifying masacre of over 30 people in virginia,
Additional Details
well for starters it would make it illeagel to carry them if ya caught with one ...

Can a cop put me in hand cuffs or in the back of his car if i am only 14?
i know he cant pat me down or anything till my parents get around but could he cuff me or put me in the back of his car b4 they get there?

thanks.
Additional Details
back the ...

Is there an age bracket?
When becoming a police officer is there a certain age after where you are to old to join the force?...

Where do I go to figure out how much I owe on a lost out of state speeding ticket? It is past due.?
My license (Kentucky) has been suspended for non-payment of an out of state (Indiana) speeding ticket. I know it was suspended as my employer does an annual driving record screening.

I ...

If I insulted someone on the streets and he assaulted me, could I press assault charges against him and win?

What would you do if you saw a chicken driving recklessly in a car?

What would you do if a cop beat up your 15 year old daughter?
http://www.youtube.com/w press charges?
sue?...

Gosh seriously why are pigs always eating donuts and coffee?
and they never share...
Additional Details
pshhhh i be payin there paycheck wit ma taxes! they should have sum respect ...

If you get DWI DUI with a suspension in one state are you able to drive in another?
My girlfriend got DWI in Missouri and her license was suspended. She swears up and down that she is completely legal to drive as long as she doesn'e drive in Missouri. This can't be ...

Will I go to Jail? Please Answer?
If i accidently ran over a child that jumped out in front of me for a joke, he didnt die, just mild brain ...

What do you think about this Police video?
This woman was stressed and emotional to see her father in the emergency room. The police officer pulled her over for speeding, because we all know thats the most dangerous crime in this country, ...

Are police cars allowed to skip red lights if responding to emergencies?

I need very serious help. What would you do?
A friend of mine is serving time in prison for burglary. He wrote me a letter confessing to a murder he committed six years ago. I am in shock. Should I alert the authorities? He asked me to keep ...

What is the maximum sentence?
What is the maximum sentence for bringing a small amount of cannabis from the netherlands into the UK?...

Why are American law enforcement suppressing human rights?

If you are arrested and the cop can't testify against you do they drop the charges?
My girlfriend was pulled over and arrested with 5 counts. The next night the cop was shot and killed(very tragic story) with out him to testify will they have to drop the charges. What happens in a ...

Do i have an arrest warrent in the state of texas?
i was told i have a warrent in corpus christy texas. ive never been there i need to know whats going on....

If a suspect injures or kills a police K9, is the punishment the same as harming a human police officer?

What do american police say when the arrest someone?
it should be something like this
NAME i am arresting you on suspicion of CRIME, you do not have to day anything but anything you do say may be used and given in evidence (british police) what ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links