Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can I seriously go to jail for missing jury duty??
Find answers to your legal question.

Can I seriously go to jail for missing jury duty??

I got a jury summons a couple months back and was supposed to go every monday in month of June. Well, I called and it was cancelled for that day that I called for. I've been looking for a place to move into and had a lot going on and it really just slipped my mind. My mom just emailed me and said I had been served with a summons for missing jury duty - does this mean i'm going to go to jail??? I live in the Northern VA area, and i searched online and it said i could be hit with a contempt of court charge. Has this happened to anyone before?? I'm only 19!!

Tmess2
It probably does not mean that you are going to go to jail. In theory, the judge could find you in contempt and throw you in jail, but most judges will not.

What will probably happen is that the judge will ask for you to explain why you missed jury duty. If after hearing your explanation, the judge thinks it was just a mistake instead of intentionally evading jury duty that will be the end of it. If the judge thinks you are treating jury duty like a joke, then you could be in trouble.

In many places, they have been having trouble getting enough people to respond to jury duty. This is one of the reasons why judges are starting to issue citations to have folks come in and explain themselves. They want to make it clear that you can't just blow off jury duty. They are not going to throw the book at someone who has a decent reason for why they didn't show up.

TedEx
Rating
Jail;? Not likely. Severe fine, probation, probably.
You had a lot going to? Quite frankly, they don't care WHAT you have going on.
They're concerned with administering justice, not your personal problems.

I'm sorry for raking you over the coals, but I get tired of people saying "my rights" without being concerned about their responsibilities.

? Stormy Weathers?
in my state the local jusged ordered a bunch of people who skipped jury duty to be arressted... in order to be taken more seiously.. yes you can

donald m. c.
its best to show up and tell them that you are biased against every known group , class or race of people ever invented but then you must know that you were called , at birth , to do some kind of civic duty to insure the rites of passage never be un - afforded to those that come a generation behind you .

johndimp981966
Yes, you could go to jail for not appearing for jury duty. It is unlikely that you will however. Most court systems have such a huge backlog that judges are reluctant to issue warrants for the arrest of no show jurors, but they definitely have the power to do so and if they are in the wrong mood I have seen them order every no show arrested. Like I said this rarely happens though. Your best move would be to contact the court and explain why you missed. You will probably be excused.

James
Rating
It's possible, but unlikely. Jury duty is a serious obligation for all Americans, so in the future, be sure to take it more seriously.

Ralfcoder
I think it all comes down to how mad the judge is about this, and what the state laws allow him to do. I am not a lawyer, however.

I'd look at the summons closely, and read ALL of it - fine print included. Then I would go to the court first thing tomorrow, and explain your case. You may be assigned jury duty right away, or you may be excused. It depends on their mood, and their need, I guess.

Jury duty is a serious part of a citizen's duty, and you need to take it as such. Some people complain about it, but then some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope. Think of this as an opportunity to learn more about how your government operates. If nothing else, you may have some interesting stories to tell at work afterwards.

?
it's possible, although not probable ... they have more important people to keep locked up than you ... you could get off with probation (keep clean for 6 months and everything goes away), a fine, or maybe community service ... i wouldn't sweat it too much though ...

Johanna K
You seriously can.. its a summons to court! If you don't show the chances of them "throwing you in jail" are very slim but they can do it if they want to.. they call it jury "duty" for a reason.. get it over with, you shouldn't be called to do it again..

cybersharque
Yoi should be accorded an opportunity to "purge" yourself of the contempt, but it can be challenging. Can you make a case that you moved out of state?

BekindtoAnimals22
Rating
I got a summons just telling me when to appear for the jury duty. In other words, it said what time the court was choosing the jury for the case to follow immediately. I've gone twice. Its very interesting. I was not selected for the jury either time though.

danielss429
Rating
a jury summons is a court order, and yes you could be arrested for contempt of court if they want to push the issue.

1st Buzie
Rating
They will come looking for you Good luck

Belgariad
Rating
Probably not. If you did not show up you could be replaced by someone else. You may get in trouble however.

pspking55
NO. my family missed jury duty plenty of times and there not in jail. but im in north carolina

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Police man v me, who was right?
Ok so in april last year, me and my brother was at the shops on our electronic scooter, and we was sat eating our tea on the pavement, and this police man (community officer guy) approached us and ...

How many alternative names for the Police can you think of?

Will my friend (A Police Officer) get into trouble for this?
He pulls over a nice looking lady who looks as if she had been drinking. (On a Friday night or Sat night) Discovers she is drunk. Gives her a choice. A little loving or jail. The women gives in so ...

Can the police make an arrest outside their own force's area?
eg a crime is committed in yorkshire, could police from the West Midlands travel up to Yorkshire to arrest someone?

Would it make a difference if the person reporting the crime lived in ...

If I walk into a police station and start singing the National Anthem, do they have to stand up?
If they don't can I make a citizen arrest against them for disrespect?...

Do you feel that Obama's prior narcotics habit will trigger an increase in drug abuse among young liberals?

Who has the right away? fire, police or mail.?
if all three are come at the same time at the same intersection....

What can i do about somebody calling and harassing me?
Yesterday i started receiving text messages from a number in a neighboring state so it could possibly be somebody that's knows me. but the wouldn't say who they were or where they lived. ...

Vacum seal bags and marijuana?
I herd that if u have marijuana in a vacum seal bag the police dogs will not be able to smell it is this true???...

What should you do if your car is stolen?
Your paid for vehicle is stolen, so you report it stolen, the police find it and take it to city impound lot and report and notify you that your car has been found, CASE CLOSED. You goes to impound ...

Should texting while driving be a ticket.?

Was this a really insane thing to do? Will I be in a lot of trouble with the police?
About two weeks ago I was sitting outside a cafe having a coffee with a few friends. I had just bought a new car which was very expensive and is also a classic car so it's quite expensive to get ...

Does owning and operating a radar detector show intent to break the law?
And if so, why are they legal in non-commercial vehicles in all states expect Virginia and D.C?...

Arrest Warrant?
How do I find out if I have a Arrest Warrant out on me? S...

I'm watching the news and another POLICE OFFICER has been shot on the streets of Phila. What do you think of h
ow much violence has plaqued these streets. They now don't even give a damn about the law. This is the third cop shot in 4 ...

Is it illegal to wear a ski mask in public places, such as a street or park?
I want to wear one in downtown LA and just walk around while recording it.
Additional Details
If it's not illegal, I'll have to do it....

When will the government give up it's worthless war on drugs?
When will they realize that everytime they make it harder to get drugs into the country or get drugs at all it makes it more profitable for the drug dealers. It's simple supply and demand. If ...

Roads, call me old fashioned?
When I was lad, roads were for vehicles and pavements for pedestrians because if you mix the two, pedestrians got hurt. So they use to teach you at school how to cross a road, and even pointed out to ...

Can i view my criminal record on line free of charge?

Can I get in trouble for keeping a baseball bat in the trunk of my car?
OK, for the past few years I've kept a wooden baseball bat in my trunk, for just in case moments. I've never used it on another person, though one time I had a road rager who who followed ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, April 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links