Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can a cop hide with no lights on at all to catch speeders? I thought this was illegal. Isnt this entrapment?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can a cop hide with no lights on at all to catch speeders? I thought this was illegal. Isnt this entrapment?

bergy_us
Rating
yes he can

KC V ™
It's unfortunate that so many misunderstand the term "entrapment."

The legal definition of entrapment is:

A person is 'entrapped' when he is induced or persuaded by law enforcement officers or their agents to commit a crime that he had no previous intent to commit; and the law as a matter of policy forbids conviction in such a case.

However, there is no entrapment where a person is ready and willing to break the law and the Government agents merely provide what appears to be a favorable opportunity for the person to commit the crime.

Hiding behind the bushes, billboards, or without lights visible is NOT entrapment. The police did nothing illegal to FORCE you to speed in the first place.

To respond to one of the other writers in the forum...it isn't even borderline or close to entrapment.

My suggestion is this....if you were caught speeding...remember you share the roadways and by exceeding the limit you not only endanger yourself but those you share the road with!

Best wishes!

Dig in!
Rating
Yes they can and no it's not entrapment. It would be entrapment if the cop asked you to drive over the speed limit to test his radar then gave you ticket for it.

Kevin C
Rating
No he can't! It is entrapment and it's illegal! Sue them! Make them pay for ticket and ask for another million to cover pain and mental anguish!

Let us know how that flies....should go over like a lead balloon.

Pfo
lol, how is it entrapment? I'm sure if he sits there with his lights on everyone is going to slow down..... No it's not entrapment.

fnsurf
No it isn't entrapment. Most people through that kind of excuse up when they should have asked "Was I speeding?" If the answer is yes then just shut the cakehole and pay the fine. If the cops had set up a dragstrip christmas tree and a girl waving a green flag and then stopped you for speeding at the the other end of the street that would be maybe entrapment. The act of merely sitting there with his lights off hardly induces someone to commit a criminal act.

shmigs
Solution: Stop breaking the law!

Ken
Rating
How would that be entrapment? I think there is a misconception as to what entrapment is. Entrapment requires that the officer take some action to induce you to commit an offense. In this case, he did nothing to induce you to commit any offense. It is good police work, I hope they do it in my neighborhood more often.

"LC" KNOWEN AS AIRFORC
NOPE IT IS NOT ENTRAPMENT. ENTRAPMENT MEANS PROVIDING THE MEANS FOR IT. POLICE OFFICERS CAN SIT WITH THEIR LITES OFF TO CATCH SPEEDERS ANYWAY THEY CAN. MY FATHER HAS DONE IT AND HE GOT MORE THAN TWENTY PEOPLE. THEY ALL SAY THAT IT IS ENTRAPMENT BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO PAY THE FINE OF THE TICKET. POLICE OFFICERS CAN USE ANY MEANS TO CATCH PEOPLE SPEEDING IF IT REDUCES THE RISK OF SOME ONE SPEEDING THRU AND RED LITE OR A STOP SIGN AND HITTING SOME ONE ELS. SO THERE FOR IT IS TOTALY LEAGAL AND IT IS NOT ENTRAPMENT. IF YOU STILL NEED INFO YOU CAN GO TO YOUR LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENT AND ASK.

stickymongoose
Rating
I think you need to learn the definition of entrapment. As long as the police weren't doing anything to provoke an otherwise unwilling person to commit a crime, it wasn't entrapment at all.

Loli M
Rating
First, entrapment is when you are tricked or coerced into doing something you normally wouldn't do...if you normally speed then no...no entrapment.
Law enforcement are allowed to use many means to catch offenders...including speed traps with or without lights.

mysticalfairygoddess
No, its not entrapment and yes they can. Who's gonna speed by a cop with his or her lights on? Think of the cop catching a person in the act.

dude0795
Entrapment is the act of providing a person with the means and help to commit a crime that they normally wouldn't without the officer's influence (more or less)

Sitting in the dark with no lights on while you speed past is just smart police work. If the sight of a police car will keep you close to the posted limits, put a little sticker of a patrol cruiser on your rear view mirror. I mean come on, YOU are the one speeding right?

Bev M
Rating
to answer your question that is not illegal for a cop to do that

lonewolf1
Rating
It is not entrapment, you stil have the ultimate choice to either speed or not,,,,,,,,,,,

steven c
Rating
of course they can do this. It's not a speed trap. A speed trap is a particular section of a highway measured as to distance and with boundaries marked, designated, or otherwise determined in order that the speed of a vehicle may be calculated by securing the time it takes the vehicle to travel the known distance.

Hootiesplace
You're deferring responsibility because you got caught. Whats the difference between the cop sitting where you couldn't see him and him being behind you in traffic and you didn't see him? No difference. No entrapment, either.
Best suggestion? Slow down and chalk it up to experience.

Lynn
Nope, that does not qualify at entrapment. It's perfectly legal.

Kevy
Rating
en·trap·ment
Pronunciation: -mənt
Function: noun
Date: 1597
1 a: the action or process of entrapping b: the condition of being entrapped
2: the action of luring an individual into committing a crime in order to prosecute the person for it

the cop is not making you speed by having his lights off. DONT SPEED IN THE FIRST PLACE AND IT DOSENT MATTER WHERE HE/SHE IS...

i have to tell this to so many punk kids. even when i have my lights on they like to try to say i didnt.

smedrik
Rating
How is it entrapment, you are breaking the law and you got caught, police always hide their vehicles in speed traps. If they were obvious people would slow down when in the range of the radar gun.

reene2g
Rating
Its the same way they paint their cars black and you cant see em...nows thats entrapment!!!

evil_paul
Yes they can and no it's not entrampment. The definition of entrapment is getting you to do something you wouldn't ordinarily do. The fact that you were already speeding when you were stopped, negates any entrapment.

flieder77
People are killed every day by reckless speeders. It is high time they are getting ticketed. If it saves just one life it is worth the effort and I don't believe it is entrapment. Drive the posted speed limit and you don't need to worry about entrapment, plus it saves you money on gasoline.

Jo
Rating
He just clocks you and another cop is sitting a quarter mile down the road to pull you over. They got me like this on Christmas Eve night!

needanid00
Rating
Stop speeding. Its like a bank robber saying that he cant rob a because he doesnt know if there are cops inside.

wizjp
Different states have different laws about what the police roadside presence is supposed to be.

Call the local barracks and ask them.

If they tagged you for speeding because you didn't see them, I doubt it'll wash as entrapment.

thyagarajan s
Rating
Need not be. The culprits are to be caught and punished. The means are not questionable.

b
I think it depends on what state your in. In Ohio its illegal.

happy4u
No, it is not entrapment. The only requirement is for them to identify themselves when they charge you for the offense.

arsani401
Rating
nah they can they did it to my bro he hates the cops so bad.
maybe diff states has diff laws. not sure

its delia!
Rating
if its during the day and no head lights, no. if u mean their siren lights, they only need those one when chasing, and during the night i dont think theyre suppose to have their lights off...im not too educated in the law though

JG
It may not be entrapment but it can be a hazard especially when they are on the median.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can I get in trouble for doing this?
Yesterday some older guy in his 70's was standing by the road in his yard. The city just put some gravel on the road because they are doing work there and dust flew everywhere when I drove by. A...

Would legalizing weed really lower the crime rate ?
I've heard many say that if we legalize maryjuana people wouldnt have to go through desperate measures to attain it or kill each other in bad drug deals . I've also heard that in parts ...

Should we use prisoners serving life with no parole as crash test dummies to get a more realistic result?
That way they could be of some use to society and would take pressure of the prison system!...

The U of Florida Taser incident, what is your oppinion?
i think everyone has seen it, but here is the link anyway:
http://youtube.com/watch
Here are the viewpoints that I have heard. I am on the fence between two of them:

Why don't you forbid selling arms in USA.Don't you agree that it is safer in Europe where arms are forbidden;

Help! I'm going to jail!!!?
I just found out I was denied for a gun due to a warrant here in SC. It was back in 2001. I pulled a girl off my friend at a bar and after the police came they had me down as a witness but I found ...

Are you supposed to report it when you find bullet holes in you windows...?
I heared a loud crack a couple of weeks ago late at night but when I went to investigate with the dogs we couldn't see anything amiss...However whilst decorating my bathroom 2 days ago I found a ...

Strip Searches?
Personally i do not find the fact undressing in front of a bunch of strangers that i do know now. I find this strip search a pure violation of my privacy and no one can change my mind on that. But if ...

Poll - do you trust the police in your area?

Would i be allowed to watch a trial at court?
im a criminology student and never been in a court room, am curious to see exactly what goes on.
Does any one know if i would be allowed in to obseve even if i am not connected to the ...

Do you hate cops pt.2?
no not everyone that hates police are 'criminals". most people i know that hate cops arent "criminals" and have never been arrested, myself included. its their lack of respect ...

What is the point in having the right to remain silent when questioned by police...?
when, when you appear in court, you are sworn under oath to tell the truth....

Is it legal for a compnay to not hire an individual because they are a smoker? Is that discrimination?

Do you think alcohol and drugs are the biggest culprit for the problems we have in society as a whole?

Why don't a lot of youth today have any respect for law enforcement officers?
Is it their parents or just society as a whole? I see a lot of the kids that I deal with are disrespectful to the law. Most of their parents stick up for them (although calling us a week later when ...

Should Guns be banned in usa ? R they the main source of violence ?

Do you think that the police should be given powers to ban youths from town centres?

Recently i got arrested for Shoplifting.?
I'm a Juvinile and i have no Previous record of Anything.
What kind of punishment do you think the intake officer could come up with?...

What is the fine for driving without a sealbelt?

My wife rapes me what can i do ?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, November 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links