Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can a cop ticket a parked car for an expired tag?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can a cop ticket a parked car for an expired tag?

This happened in front of my apartment. The registration had actually already been renewed but I forgot to put the new sticker on my license plate.
Additional Details
My guess is that if I was actually pulled over the cop would not have given me a ticket because I could have shown him the valid registration.

chrispkreme34
Rating
They can. I'll go one further. If you have an expired tag in a private lot..including an apartment building. The apartment building can have it towed at your expense!!!!

searching_please
Rating
Just go down to the courthouse and show them that you've got the sticker. Tell them you hdan't driven the car yet and they'll probably dismiss it.

Good luck! :)

ageorgiahotboy2005
Rating
yes

dana_osmundson
Rating
If you had already renewed it and just hadn't put it on the tag, you can usually take that to the courthouse and get the ticket revoked. But, yes, they can ticket you for having an expired tag when it is parked.

Eric
Yes. You can take proof of registration in in most municipalities to have the ticket thrown out, but the police are right to ticket an expired sticker wherever they find it. In apartment complexes it helps them identify and remove abandoned and junk cars.

Paul
Yes. Expired tags have nothing to do with moving violations.

nopichic06
Rating
They can ticket you for an expired tag, but since you have the registration take the new registration and something showing that you did register it before it was up to the clerk. That should enable you to have the ticket dismissed.

Marcus B
yes they can

Dennis G
Rating
if it was parked on a roadway yes,..not on private property

A.R.G.O.S.
Rating
Yes in my State its called a hang on ticket. Everyone else already said it but take your registration and show it to the clerk at the Station or court house depending on if it was a local or state ticket. You'll get it dropped.

HYPER_LOGIC
well it happens in Australia, the government always finds ways to make money, isn't it interesting the the laws are the same? i suppose you have coppers everywhere looking for speedsters and all sorts of of traffic violations, its a very lucrative business. Imagine everyone was perfect and no one broke any traffic laws, they would have to invent a tax or something.

Snagelfritz
Rating
Yes, this would be considered a public area. Now say you live in a house with a yard. He/She can not ticket the Vehicle if it in the back yard or your driveway. BUT, if it parked on the street they can give you a ticket. Hope you see what I saying.

Ricktoff
Yes, it's not private property and it's considered part of the street.

Paul Patmyass
if it's on a public road it is fair game

just go to court and show them the sticker

Ret68
Rating
Evidently he can, because he did, but I wouldn't think the charge would hold up in court. Of course there may be a law on the books that require a valid license to park on public property to keep junkers off the street..

Who Else?
Yes - here in Florida, they patrol parking lots at various large places of employment, looking for expired tags and out-of-state tags, which they assume should have been registered in Florida when the owner started working. I've even seen them do it in the parking lot at my apartment complex.

charlsyeh
you forgot? yeah sure! they can ticket you at anytime anywhere

grishnak
Rating
If it was parked on the street and not on private property ( like a parking lot) then yes they can. If you had already renewed the registration and can prove it with a time stamped receipt or CC transaction then u can probably get the ticket dismissed in court.

jimobasa
Nothing wrong with the cop's action

toff
Rating
A lot depends on where you live. If the car was parked on a public street then in most places yes the officer can cite you. In most states or cities you can show that the vehicle was legally registered and the tickett will be dismissed.

TOMTHEBOMB
oh hell yes, you are lucky thay didnt impound the car, if you were driving it and got a ticket larger fine and points

Root Worker
Rating
Yes they can. However, you could probably plead not guilty. Then when you go to court just tell the Judge the truth, that you forgot to place the sticker on the license plate.

You can show that your registration was renewed before the ticket/summons was issued.

You never know what the final outcome will be unless you go in front of the Judge.

Good Luck........

luckyduck
Rating
If the vehicle was on private property, the citation is not valid. If the vehicle was on a public street, the ticket was valid. If you have proof that the vehicle was legally registered at the time of the offense, the court should dimiss it.

woodyhou
Rating
Depends on where you live, we don't do it in Texas (at least not my dept).

Bouncer
Rating
If it is parked on the street, YES! If on private property, NO!

CGIV76
Rating
You are innocent on the expired tag charge, but guilty on failure to display. Go to court, and see how the Judge feels about the citation.

Claire L
Yes you can get a ticket for it, regardless of if you're driving or it's parked.

You MAY be able to get the ticket dismissed if you show you have the new registration and when you registered it, but that is entirely up to the judge.

jjayferg
Don't they have anything better to do? They don't go after the real criminals because that would be too dangerous.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Boyfriend in jail for FTA while on probation..?
My boyfriend was put on probation back in march or so for posession of controlled substance [adhd medication that someone left in his car, drug dogs searched and found at school]. He got 2 years ...

Finger prints?
if u r finger printed, how long would it take for those to no longer be valid or is 1 time printed good for a life time. just wondered because every time i go to jail they re print me....

Are speed cameras good or bad?

Is There Ever Likely To Be Another 9/11?
The Americans were caught offguard on September 11 2001.

However, now their intelligence services (as well as those of their allies such as the UK) are focussed very much on the activities ...

Police took my DNA and thumbprints after cautioning me over a minor offence. what happens now?
My friend lent me his oyster card. I was caught by transport police. To protect my friend, I told them I took the card without his knowledge. Police let me off with a caution for finding/theft of ...

Do the Police think they are above the law?
Twice this week i have seen a police officer driving a police car on his mobile and one not even wearing a seat belt,if i see this again i will walk in front of it so he/she as to brake hard see what ...

Can a traffic warden still issue a ticket if i drive away before he finishes writ ting it.?
i parked in a disabled area and the traffic warden saw me as he was walking over he was writing what i assume was my registration number down however as he approached i attempted to drive away he ...

What is Swat???!!!?

What do you think the terrorists were thinking?
What do you think those terrorists were thinking when they flew the planes into the towers? Did they honestly think they would see their god? Or would they see only the devil with a lot of angry ...

I just read that 50% of the population hate Police Officers. Do you? If so, why?
I do not hate the Police. Just trying to see from the responders how accurate a statement this is. If you hate the Police, can you give us a reason why? Thank you....

Partner being punished for hitting youth for firing at his 8 year old son in window?
few weeks ago our son was looking through bedroom window seconds after the window was broken with a catapult, my son had seen 4 youths over the road told us who they were so my partner ran out to ...

Where is Bin Ladin ?
Is it possible he would hide where he would least likely be sought,
in New York City perhaps, and could he be in diguise?...

What should be the punishment for a cop killer?
A couple of weeks back a police office was killed in my town. He was 30 years old. He pulled over a guy for speeding and when he approached the car the drive shot the office once in the mouth ...

If a cop tells you to do something when you haven't done anything wrong do you have to do it?
This hasn't happened to me, but i like to think of random situations like this for some reason.
Lets say you get pulled over for no reason and you ask why you're getting pulled over ...

Do you think it is to easy to get a gun; should there be stronger gun laws?

Additional Details
I understand and agree that it is in our constitution, "the right to bare arm." At what point to we specify what types of arms. I personally know people ...

How can some youths commit such crimes and feel no guilt?
For example the murder in Warrington of a man by three youths. What is going on in this country?...

Do you like or hate police?!?
I HATE!!!...literly HATE!!! cops who abuse their power.I just want them to die when I see videos of police abusing their power with bad physical force.

But the rest are fine.

H...

Is driving without a license an arrestable offense ?

Why can't cops switch to 100% non-lethal weapons?
When there are other ways to deal with dangerous people such as rubber bullets, tasers, smoke grenades, etc...They still continue to use guns even though they use these non-lethal weapons as well. So ...

Can i pay my driving instrutor off to pass my test?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links