Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can a passanger get a ticket for being drunk if not driving?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can a passanger get a ticket for being drunk if not driving?

unclebutch
in georgia you can not get in trouble just for being drunk in public. you have to be disorderly in some fashion like stumbling into the street or being too loud.

xtowgrunt
Rating
They can still ticket you for public intoxication. Depending on the situation, most won't.

Tincan Navy
Rating
drunk in public or public intoxication Laws will vary locally!

pedohunter1488
Yes

Points whore
Rating
In some state's they have the open container law. If their is an open container in the car, everybody goes to jail, regardless if the driver was drinking or not.

BONE
Rating
if you get out of the car they can get ya for public intox

Edward J
Public Intoxication...it happens

Cynethia C
Yes, There was a recent case where a girlfriend was driving the drunk boyfriend home and he was being iggnorant and making it hard for her to drive. When the cop pulled them over and realized that the girlfriend was sober but the boyfriend was an idiot he gave him a ticket for DUI since he was trying to move the wheel as she drove the car. Hope this helps

For causing a disturbance while drunk, but not for any moving violation.

Help is here
Rating
it depends. Most states do not ticket for public intoxication. However you could be taken to a detox faculity if the driver of the vehicle gets arrested for DUI and taken to jail or detox and there is no sober person available. Local laws do vary.

Also if you are the onle person in the vehicle and you are in or could be in control of the vehcile at any time it is possible to be charged with DUI

burqueno505
Rating
yes they can ticket you or take you to jail for public intoxication

Gemma
In my state, yes. Being in a public place or a place of resort and being visibly intoxicated is a B misdemeanor. A car on a street is a public place.

MrKnowItAll
It depends on the state and what you are doing. Your best bet is to pass out in the passenger seat and sleep through the stop. The cops will normally give up trying to wake you up after a while, except in places where the cops wear their shades with the reflective surfaces on the inside - those cops will haul you out of the car bodily, slam you on the ground, and break your arm putting the cuffs on you claiming you resisted arrest.

So, the moral of the story is, if you wanna get drunk, do it at home, never leave your house, and dont answer the door if the cops are there.

♥Twinkle♥Toes
Rating
No and that's why the "DESIGNATED DRIVER" drives so the others can drink.

'' GUV ''
depends on whre you live and the local laws.d.w.i is a nationwide law however different states have different views on passenger drinking. in most cases if you are compliant and respectful of the officer,and someone sober can come get you,he may or may not ticket you for an open container.if you are too drunk to walk and have no ride he can arrest you on public intoxication.either way,both charges are minimal slap on wrist and completley officers discrection,not to mention avoidable.

Master Yoda
Typically no, but if the passenger starts to act a fool, they can get charged with public intoxication, but that's up to the cop.

HotLittlePotato
NO!

cyclops
Rating
Yes in most Liberal States.

razonje
no, as long as you remain in the vehicle

OhKatie!
They can't ticket the passenger for drunk driving, but if the passenger is underaged or acting recklessly they can be ticketed for that.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is there such a crime as on-line stalking, and would the FBI become involved.?

Additional Details
My friend contacted a woman who had been getting cosy with her husband over the internet. There were no threats made at all, only her intentions to divorce her ...

I have a speeding ticket from from Aberdeen and It can't be mine as me or my car have never been to Aberdeen
I have received a speeding ticket and its not mine. What should I do. I live in Manchester and it was from Aberdeen. I have never been to Aberdeen in my life. what should I do?...

Does your town have an emergency siren and do you hear it being tested? (For people in the UK)?
We're pretty sure there was one, we seem to remember it sounding once (many many years ago)
Does your town/ city have one?...

Will banning guns stop shootings?
i dont think so crims will always get guns. it just takes weapons out of the real uses for guns. ie sports and hunting and protection from the crims. ...

$125 Speeding Ticket for driving 5 miles over posted limit!!!!?
On Saturday morning 10/6/07, I received a $125 speeding ticket for (supposedly) driving 5 miles above the posted limit!!!! The ticket says the limit is 50mph and that my actual speed was 55 mph. (On C...

Why do people judge gang members ?
If you don't know anything about them or their reason for joining how can you judge? You don't judge members of any other organizations. What if these "organizations" have a ...

Do you think tasers should be used?
Tasers do help the police force in many ways and are said to be non-lethal. However, they have killed many people. What do you think about the topic?...

How many people trust the police?
I don't trust them at all i have had to many bad run ins with them when i was the victam to trust them. But I would like to know how many people really do trust and respect them....

Is it right for cops to fine people driving with loud stereos? Anyone hate when they fine drivers for this?
I have some music violation tickets for my bass being too loud, but why give us music lovers tickets, when cops should be arresting criminals, and murderers and rapist. I dont want to get fined when ...

Charged with assualt for punching guy in mouth who threat me for helping homeless man?
I have no criminal record, never struck another person in my life. I'm 39 and am a compasionate, caring person. Last night I stopped in at the super market about 10 PM. As I stood in line, I ...

Would you lie under oath to avoid a prison sentence ?

Additional Details
Are you lying now? remember you`re under oath....

I saw 2 cops behind the mall smoking cigars in their cop car.?
Is that illegal? Should I have reported them?

Or maybe they were letting off steam from a stressful job, I don't know....

I have an outstanding arrest warrant in england for drink driving while banned,how long will it last before be

I took out a warrant for domestic abuse but do not want to go to court. What will happen if I don't show up?

Additional Details
The warrant was for communicating threats. He has since moved out and I no longer want to pursue it. He believed that I could not do anything and he was free to do ...

Same question hoping for smarter replies please.?
For those idiots that didn't understand the question. I need advice not smart remarks PLEASE. My girl and I had argued on our cell phones. I knew she had been drinking and I didn't want to ...

Why are Police Stations called police STATIONS? Why not police Centres or something else of your suggestion..?

8 beers over 10 hours - should he drive?
Lately I think my husband has been driving when he shouldn't. He's driving home now and told me he's had 8 beers over the course of the day - that he's fine. I'm not so ...

Why do police pull people over for speeding in places where the speed limit signs are obstructed?
How are people supposed to know how fast to go if they can't see the speed limit sign?...

People who are selected as magistrates dont have to have any legal training,is that fair to defendants ?

Can an adult be arrested for buying beer for 17 year olds which they will drink under the adult's supervision?
I was working voluntarily on a theatre project with a group of young people. The theatre complex has a bar.
I was rehearsing late on a Friday evening with a small group of 17 year olds. After ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links