Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can a police officer of another city stop you?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can a police officer of another city stop you?

gabs4_28
i dont think s/he can

Kenneth C
Yes they can as long as it is in the same state.

Gordon S
It depends on the laws of your state, I know that in California a police officer can stop you anywhere in the state, but in Texas you are only a police officer in your own city or county unless you are a state police officer then you can stop someone anywhere in the state.

Hardcore Republican
yes they can it's called citizens arrest.

dreaminncalifornia
Rating
only if he sees you committing a crime

gotseatbelts
Rating
Depends on state law and their own dept policy and procedures. I can stop someone anywhere in my state, it is easier to an officer either locally or county/state dept to write the citation if necessary for ease of court purposes

Nate Dogg
Rating
im pretty sure that city cops cant but county or state police probally could dont no ask a cop they might tell u

Tom M
Most Police Officers in major cities are also Peace Officers within the State. They have arrest powers throughout the state and can arrest you if a crime is committed in their presence.

Rating
Only if they are pursuing you from a neighboring city/county and have to cross over to another jurisdiction. They may also stop you, if they are working with other law enforcement agencies in the area.

fr_chuck
For what, if a police officer from NY is in Boston in uniform in his police car, he will not pull you over for speeding, but if you were wanted on a felony he may pull you over and hold you for the local police.

Also some city police work or are assigned to state drug task forces, When I was a officer one of our guys was assigned to a task force for training, so he was wearing our uniform, and in one of our cars but was out on the interestate 50 miles from our city. In this case he was empowered by the task force to inforce laws there.

Also some city police are also commissioned ( sworn) as county officers so they have authority anywhere in that county

justanotherengine
of course, they are "peace officers", they can do it anywhere, arrest you anywhere, etc.

thalady_2000
Rating
yes they can..

keith c
probably not. but then again , you are dealing with an individual who is falsely self-grandizing to be above Constitution.

rostor
i am not too sure about the states but generally this question applies to "jurisdiction" which in turn may vary from state to state, city to city. logic would have it that any arresting police officer would know whether he or she had jurisdiction, without this the arrest is invalid and would not stand in a court of law.

sheffield_11_atlanta
Rating
Yes, they can. By law, as a police officer you are a 'peace officer' requiring you to do so anywhere, anytime. However, that doesn't mean an officer can cite you in another city/county. They can stop you and have an officer from that jurisdiction write you up instead.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Are there really only two types of drug dealers?
The ones that need forklifts and the ones who don't?...

I've been accused of stealing at work?
I need some advice. I've been working in a gift shop for 3 yr and i ran the shop on my own for the owner. i had to cash up and write everything down on paper. The till was always down for some ...

I had my car stolen right outside of my house by a 19yr old experienced felon (5th car he has stolen)?
He drove it from IA to WY in 13hrs, averaging 130mph, and I'm told its my responsibility to get my car back and now the towing place expects me to pay $1500 to have it released. They won't ...

If you have a warrant out for your arrest in one state, but live in another, will it transfer over?

In the wake of what happened in the past 2 years, what can we do about child abuse in this country?

Why do we have paramedics?
i have to do an assignment for college and i need the reasons for the roles resonsibilities and purpose of a ...

What type of criminals are placed in a Federal prison?
Hey Guys,

What type of criminals are placed in a federal prison and what dangers can this bring onto the community where the prison is being created?

- S...

A question about marijuana?
ok so im wondering how strong a dog scent for marijuana is..
for example if i had a bag of weed hidden in an emptied out can of deoderant spray and its completely hidden in the can (like the can ...

Speeding Ticket! This is a special one!!!!!!!!!!!!?
i was recently pull over by an cop, the cop was in front of me and we were both doing 85+ mph on a 65. he pulls to the side lets me pass and throws on his lights and pull me over. before he pulled me ...

Have you been at a protest & seen cops shoving people & using tear gas even though no violence was happening?

Additional Details
Note to How Dare you: I have submitted an abuse report to Yahoo Team based on your insults to me and other participants. After a cursory review of the content of ...

Speeding ticket..should I fight it?? and how?
About a week ago, I was driving home to san diego from oregon with a friend. We were on a freeway around 11 and a cop was pulled over and saw me speeding, and then pulled me over. He says I was going ...

Can a woman generate sympathy if she cries when a police officer pulls her over ?
I saw a woman bawling yesterday because she got pulled over....

Plastic strips used for handcuffs?
i remember my brother had some plastic strips and he said they can be used for multiple things but he had them for restraints. They didn't have keys and had to be cut away. They also had like a ...

Capitol punishment (death penalty)?
what is your guys opinion on capitol punishment? are you for it or against it? do you think it is right or wrong?...

Does anyone else out there think that child molesters should get the death penalty or are the laws tough enoug

What is the best police issued handgun to get?
I was wondering what gun to buy to carry on my hip i have seen that the police officers here are issued a .40 Caliber Sigarms Model P229. i have also heard good things about a glock please let me ...

What will happen to a 15-year old that broke the glass part of a side-view mirror on a car?
In the State of Washington; and the side-view mirror from a 2007 TAHOE LTZ?
Additional Details
yea, i got caught. I will be getting a letter from the juvie court that will tell me when ...

Will they let you be a police officer if you've smoked pot?
I was just wondering... what the policy is on joining the police force and smoking pot....

Why are so many police officers overweight?
Shouldn't they all be physically fit so they can run after criminals? What do you think?...

Can A Cop use a radar gun while in drive?
If your going one way and the cop is coming towards you, can they use the radar gun and stop you?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links