Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can a police officer pull you over for just a suspended driver's license.?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can a police officer pull you over for just a suspended driver's license.?

UNITool
Rating
If he has probable cause to believe you are driving w/ a suspended license. Maybe he recognizes you or your car, or ran your plates for another reason and it pops up your name telling him you've got a suspended license.

joeanonymous
Rating
"Just" a suspended driver's licence?

It's actually an arrestable traffic offence in Ontario, and an offence you can't even give a ticket for, you have to give the person a summons to appear in court.

This is treated as a relatively serious offence.

george 2
Rating
yes

CGIV76
You're not licensed to drive. Of course they can pull you over

6.5 x 284
if he knows you and knows its suspended yes..I do it all the time when I see one of my regulars driving....its prior knowledge

lovebugger
"just" for a suspended license?? you're acting like that's not a big deal. chances are you did something bad to get your license suspended...it is against the law to drive with one. are you kidding me?? is this a joke?

mikeysco
Rating
Are you kidding?

If the officer knows or reasonably suspects the driver of a vehicle is driving with a suspended license, they most certainly can lawfully pull you over and investigate further.

Truth Hurts
Yes. And they can inpound your car for 30 days (In California).

rukidding
Absolutely! He can arrest you once he pulls you over for it, too.

GRUMPY
Well laws vary from state to state. But in Massachusetts if an officer knows for a fact that you are suspended or revoked, YES he can stop you as well as arrest you. And when I retired 6 years ago, the registry WAS notifying police departments when a license was suspended. They would notify the town or city where the person lived and the cops would know. This info was made available to the cops at roll call.

laughter_every_day
Yes, furthermore, in my city, the customary penalty is 30 day in jail. It is considered much more serious because it demonstrates a conscious and persistent disregard for the law.

just a girl
Rating
yeah...

Ret. Sgt.
Does a fish fart in water?

Rating
How would he know your license is suspended before pulling you over?

Fred P
Rating
An officer cannot pull you over (ie, detain you) witout probable cause...in other words, he has to have a valid legal reason to detain you. If he recognizes you from an earlier contact and KNOWS that you have a suspnded DL, then yes - he can pull you over for that.

Once he IDs you and finds out you have a suspended DL, then you'll be arrested.

California Deputy

levineeddie
Rating
a officer can pull over that the law if you are driving please don't drive. you will only get into more dep troubles.

chuck_junior
If he knows you are suspended he sure can. In my state the car is also impounded for 30 days as well.

First Lady
yes as it is illegal to drive with a suspended license.

Clif S
yes

Dirty Martini
Well DUH. Yes.

And I hope he wrote you up for criminal stupidity as well as driving with a suspended license.

He pulled you over because you were breaking the law!! DUH

RJD
Rating
Actually NO. Unless the police officer has probable cause to pull you over (speeding, not signaling, etc..), than how does he know who is driving the vehicle? Could be a relative driving a car registered to you.

Pancake
Rating
How would he know you have a suspended driver's license until he pulled you over for something else wrong or you did?

The Big Lebowski
a police officer can pull you over for anything he chooses... as long as he makes up a viable "reasonable cause" after the fact... all that really matters is what goes in the police report, and in that report, its your word against a law officer, you lose every time....

fasteddienspike
Rating
they don't know u have a susp. dl until they run it and then u r f*****ed

Arsobia64
They can pull you over for a speck of dirt on your windsheild - that is if they have finished their coffee and doughnut!

j
a cop can not pull you over becouse he thinks you suspended for all he knows you got it to day go fight it

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

So I may be in trouble with the police?
So I was talking to this girl on a website, Ourworld.com. I usually go there to play games but whatever. This girl starts talking about how gays are disgusting and they are gross. I told her a lot of ...

Does the police keep your finger prints & dna if your found not guilty?
if your found not guilty of a crime and have no previous criminal record does the police dispose of your photo,dna & finger prints automatically ,or can you get them disposed of by some other ...

Will I go to prison for my crimes?
I had a little incident in the local shop, I tried to steal alcohol and got caught by the security gaurd so I ended up punching him and 3 other workers when they tried to stop me. The police were ...

What's your answer?
There appear to be many people who dislike law enforcement and have no respect for them. If you think that law enforcement does such a bad job then what is your solution? How do you keep the peace ...

Can a police officer stop me while im walkin down the street and search me if i dont give him consent?
The police stoped me while i was walkin down the street and said someone told him i had a gun he asked to search me i said no he did anyway and found drugs but no gun! I was then charged wit the ...

What can this 16 year old be charged for violating?
A 16 year old throws a brick through his neighbor's picture window just as the police car came down the block.
He was immediately arrested and was taken to the police station.

W...

Are DUI laws too tough?
I got 30 days in jail and a suspended license for DUI - first driving offence. I was only barely over the limit and could drive OK - just got pulled over for something else and got caught. I know I ...

Could bin laden or other cowardly murderers of innocent people be using yahoo answers ?

Additional Details
they could be monitoring our reactions to what they are doing !...

I just found out that my family is planning on hiring a hit man to kill my husband. What can I do?
I have found out that it is going to planned to take place in Las Vegas. My aunt's husband is from Chicago and knows a hitman. My mom is doing this and I'm very afraid for my husband. I don&...

Would a cop had let you go if you in fact failed the sobriety tests?
I was pulled over by a cop on the reservation. He thought I was intoxicated. I was not, he administered some DWI tests. I know very well that I did not fail them and he said I did, but then he ...

To get put in a police chel do you have to be arrested?

Do you think the police should carry guns?
I think they should since there are criminals out there that have & use guns....

When you call the cops....?
on a noise complaint, what do they tell the guy? I have really annoying neighbours with a bad a** sound system and all I hear is bass coming thru my wall. I went over there 6 or 7 times and politely ...

Should life mean life (as a prison sentence that is)?

Do you carry around a weapon where ever you go( gun, knife, etc.)?

Are coppers' uniforms blue or black?

Would you turn in a wanted person?
this person is wanted in texas for assault and battery on a police officer if caught he will serve 15 yrs. and he has 5 kids and a wife leave it alone or turn ...

Why is smoking weed illegal!?
i would like to ...

Dog in car all day?
Okay, so, for the past two days, we noticed that there is this douchebag that leaves his dog in his parked car outside my house all day. He was there yesterday for like 2 hours, possibly more, and he ...

Can you be arrested for giving a false name to an officer when that is all you have done wrong?
My boyfriend was riding in a car with his friend today when they were pulled over for having no tag. The officers searched the car and found nothing. They asked my boyfriend his name and he gave ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links