Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can a violent felon carry a knife in ca?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can a violent felon carry a knife in ca?

Hi all. I am considered a violent felon by law. I have an aiding an abbedding (spelling) charge in california for being at a party where my brother got into a fight and shot somebody. They wanted me to testify against him or I would be his accomplice. I chose blood verses anything so here i am. I was put on felony probation for 5 years and have never had any issues with it or violated my probation. I was wondering if someone knew whether or not I am allowed to carry a folding knife that has a 3 inch blade and has double locks for safety. It has a clip and I have worn it for work. Sometimes i forget to take it off after work and am curious if a cop could bust me for walking around with a knife hanging on my pants? Also is it illegal to keep this knife in my pocket? In my car? Or if they would bust me for being a felon with a knife?
Additional Details
Someone said to ask my probation officer. I dont check in at all anymore. I call in once a month. They say im a model proabtioneer. Never violated or anything. And to all the dumbass responses go do better **** with your time!!! Idiots

jasonmsmith
Yes it is in direct violation of Formal Probationers!

pandamrd
Rating
NO!!!! what are you thinking

Metropolis
Rating
i don't think it is a felony to carry that kind of knife, i also sometimes take my knife at home from work so then no body steals it from work, even it's the one i paid my own pocket.

this is the knife that i bought.
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=944530&Ntt=944530&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=51%20113113&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

John S
If it is a condition of your probation that you not possess any dangerous weapon, then, of course, you cannot possess a knife. Other than that, there is no California law which prohibits knife possession by felons (only firearms are prohibited). So long as this is not a switchblade, it is legal under State law to possess it either concealed (so long as it is not in a fixed open position) or openly, although there are prohibitions in some particular places (like schools or public buildings). However, there are some cities and counties which have local ordinances regulating knives, so you will want to check that. (I think these local ordinances are unenforceable, but you don't want to be the person to test the law.)

lil man
yes it is legal but dont shank

Maalru3
I think as long as it was in the states legal guide lines for a pocket knife then you should be fine. If I were you though, I would call your local police station and ask. It would be better to just ask vs. get into more trouble over a pocket knife.

Daron M.
Rating
If your above story is true, that is totally messed up. So much for justice in the justice system. Your brother deserved to be prosecuted, but you should not. I would have done the same thing. Despite future hardships that may come from being a felon, just know you did the right thing. They probably already had enough evidence anyway. Sad. I dont know about the law, but unless your on probation, I would assume it is okay to carry a knife. Once your off probation, you're just a regular citizen, with a hairy past. Good luck.

girlwithproblems
Rating
um hhellllooo why do u need it!?!

B G
Rating
Lets face it, you want to get busted and you will.....

Excido C
Rating
I'm not entirely certain, but I'm pretty sure felons of any violent crime aren't allowed any form of weapon.
In GA, it just means you can't own a gun or carry one / ect (not even at a range)
Check for your local knife laws to see any inch requirements
Edit- just checked around, it looks like it's the same way in Cali. Except it includes 'all forms of weapon'. Don't bother, just learn to use your fists.

SENSUAL WOMAN
I hope not

Ilya T
Rating
well you do have 2 protect ur self so keep a weapon in your car or maybe run away to another city

jfcruzr
you should know the answer to this! ask your parole officer and have a good reason why you feel the need to carry a knife in the first place. most normal citizens don't.
I think there is a legality to the length (can't be more than 6 inches).
Maybe no knife for a felon, though.

Fox 5.3
Rating
Ask your local PD, I don't know.

Kyle
Rating
No. Violation of CCW laws.

Curious Geo
I live in California USA and I applied online for a perfect fit position that an employment agency placed the job ad for their client. The agency reviewed my resume, called me to set up an interview as they were impressed by my vast experience and perfect fit for the job. The interviewer handed me an application to fill in and said that she was going to contact the client to discuss a follow-up interview if the first interveiw goes well. Which she assured me it would. In the application with regards to convictions I didn't hesitate to answer 'yes' and filled out the rest and handed it to her. During the interview she noticed the question had been answered and bombarded me with out of the ordinary questions which I told her the questions that she asking me under law Im not at liberty to answer since my convictions stemmed from a disability. I suggested that if it is of concern to her or the agency it would be best to pull a background report. As she nonchalently went over my resume and spoke briefly about the job. She said that she will contact the client and then contact me thereafter. I said great but because I was in the moment, I forgot to ask her how long will I hear from her. That I left the agency thinking that I will be called back. No word from her or the agency. So, I brushed it off thinking they probably picked a more suitable person. Went about my business and about 2 months later, the agency posts a job offer within my city for another right fit position..walking distance. I applied online, I got the automated thank you for applying but this time I emailed the office to inquire about the validity of the job offer cause during those times spammers were posting fake ads and I wanted to make sure it was legit. I got an email response from the person that interviewed me as she wrote,....I can suggest to the client that you're a perfect fit, but didn't you acknowledge having convictions last time we met, if you can tell me that you can pass a background check I'll go ahead and notify the client today to suggest an appointment for interview within 3 days..I emailed her saying no, I wouldn't be able to pass the check but if you pulled a background check, I will need a copy of it as the law states...she never emailed me back. I studied the Title VII Civil Rights Act of 1964 and gone over it so much I feel that I may be seeing what I want to see. Aside from discrimination of race, doesn't it say that employers must not exclude applicants on their convictions alone that employers must examine the candidate under 3 major basis in order to establish business necessity. I want to create a blog with this topic in mind but I would like your opinions whether its a bad or good thing to do....I want justice. I faced my convictions, did my time, jumped through hoops, performed tests in which the state told me that I had a problem. I said okay who better would know than someone outside the box, if I have a problem help me to fix it and suggested rehabilitation in which I did and completed and received a ceritficate of rehabilitation recognized by my state. Volunteered to do 6 months in a spiritual christian camp and was the only atheius there...but I did it and completed. Came back home to be placed under the microscope for another 3 years, this time for social services and jumped their hoops of programs and aced them because I've had been rehabilitated I had nothing to worry as I was bombarded with every test imaginable. All I'm saying is I went above and beyond what most people would submit themselves to, here in my state. Others would've just done the time and been done with it. But, I was thinking about my future and thought that one day I would have a family, in which, I do now. So, having done what the man wanted me to do..What's my consolation? I thought certificates of rehab were supposed to lift occupational barriers, I thought the EEOC would have my back...I jumped hoops for what...I did manage to work 9 months in the health care field but when I got laid off in 11/09 I've been collecting ever since and targeted as a designated group eligible to collect UI benefits due to involuntary unemployment. The hell with that I want to work..go ahead cast your judgments on me...I welcome them...

santersclawz
Well as a matter of fact i just called my local sherifs departments for the same question. I just didnt tell them that i was on probation and have a felon charge against me as well. I am 16 years old and as a habit always carry i knife with me, more like a luxury then anything else, But they said its legal aslong as the clip is hanging out your pocker, the 4 finger rule (they said the size of my wrist) but she made it clear thats its illegal and a violation of probation if your in it. thats when i got sad. =( hope this helped. im out of probation in october hopefully so then ill take my knife everywere.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How do I find out if someone who's wanted for homicide has been caught yet? in San Jose CA?
Luis Adolfo Villa has been on the run for murder during a robbery gone wrong for a long time now. How can I find out if he's been caught yet or not?...

Looking for help on researching a friend who may have been arrested?
One of close friend's brother may have recently been arrested. He's had some past legal problems, mostly driving violations, possibly not having insurance. I was told he may either be in ...

Okay so i got a speeding ticket the other day?
okay im 16 and i've only had my licence for like 4 months and i got a speeding ticket, i was going 47 in a 25, thats not my prob, i live in ohio by the way. do they do drugs tests for them? i ...

What are the legal punishments for being charged with shoplifting and possesion of marijuana?
i was arrested and charged in kansas city, missouri for shoplifting and possesion of marijuana. im 15 years old and this is the first time ive been arrested. what are the minimum and maximum legal ...

Am i going to jail for this?
okay, so december 10th i was placed on diversion for missing school, i signed a paper saying that i wouldnt miss anymore school without a drs. note. obviously, i missed quite a bit of school (3 weeks,...

Plz help...i have tripped out security officer calling the cops on us?
there was a security officer outside my house about 30 mins ago trying to tow the vehicle of someone at my house visiting. he says it is a violation to park behind OUR cars and that she cant do that. ...

Security officer on a power trip...?
there was a security officer outside my house about 30 mins ago trying to tow the vehicle of someone at my house visiting. he says it is a violation to park behind OUR cars and that she cant do that. ...

How can i find out why i have a warrant?
my boyfriend just found out he has a warrant but dont know why and the office is closed until monday does anyone know how to look that up for ...

Is america like the "police" of the world?
It seems like every time something bad is happening to another country, we have to jump in and help them. Like The vietnam war and others. Whats your oponion?...

Can you say the alphabet backwards?
it just seems silly for a cop to ask someone that while giving them a feild subriety test. i honestly i cant do it on the spot. and im pretty sure that most cops couldn't. ive failed many feild ...

"Deferred Judgement" Question....?
If someone is on "Defferred Judgement" for a year and after a year their record will be clean - but during that year will it still appear on their background check that they are on "...

Question about drug laws in the US?
Didn't get any answers last time, so same question

What are the laws / punishments for using / possessing amphetmaines (schedule II drugs) in the US for an UNDERAGE (under 18) person?...

If you were caught stealing alcohol in the US at 18 would you go to prison/jail?
Just wondering......

Why taser is more powerful then stun gun?
I always wonder whats the difference between a taser and a stun gun. turn out taser attack your nerve and muscle, stun gun only attack nerve. but how is taser so much more powerful with just normally ...

Does a police officer need to Identify himself at a traffic Stop (Terry Stop)?

Is it illegal to kiss someone underage in California? Even with a 4 year difference?
Is it legal to kiss someone in the state of California that is underage?
Hey guys I really need your help. I'm a 19 year old male and I met a girl who is 14. And we both belive in waiting ...

If you were to get drunk in a country ......?
If you were to get drunk in a country where the drinking limit is under 21, and went to the states and were still over the limit, could they arrest you for underage drinking even though you did not ...

CAN A PERSON WITH A SIMPLE ASSAULT misdemeanor GET A JOB IN GWINNETT COUNTY GA?

Stalker just threatened to beat me up! Do I change my number or contact police?
I already asked this question but I'm going crazy and don't know what to do. This stalker just threatened to beat me up if he ever sees me. I'm so scared now. Do I simply change my ...

Is it illegal for a minor to have possession of an empty alcoholic container?
Not so much possession as in 'I'm being good and taking out the trash for the legals' but as in I'm holding an alcoholic container in my hand....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, August 29, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links