Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can i report something i've lost as stolen to the police?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can i report something i've lost as stolen to the police?

Günther Bischoff
Let me guess - a mobile phone? It's got to the stage now that police will prosecute false allegatiomns for wasting police time as it is estimated that 20% of all mobiles reported stolen are in fact lost but the insurance won't pay out unless it' stolen.

Inked Yank
sure if you want to get arrested for giving false information

JJ
Rating
Unless you genuinely believe that it may have been stolen then you would be making a false report = bad idea!

hfp22
No. You can get in trouble for filling a false police report. I have seen this happen when I volunteered at my local police station. A woman filed a stolen report and they found out the ex had the item (never found out what it was) and he proved he didn't take it and so the police then had the D.A. file charges against her for filing a 'false police report".

heidi the ghosthunter
not unless you have had it stolen
you may be prosecuted for wasting police time

Peter C
Rating
If you file an insurance claim then not a good idea. Lying to the insurance company and the Police aint good.

Ian UK
Rating
NO YOU CAN'T

One of the reasons why there are less Police on the streets is because we spend so much time with time wasters who are abusing the system and wasting public money by making false reports.

If you report something stolen when its lost you will be liable to a fine for wasting Police time.

joan k
No that is dishonest especially if it's for insurance purposes

junglejungle
nope

people have been doing that already.

report it LOST..

if you report it stolen, and that's not the case you can get done for wasting police time.

Kirk Spock
Sure.... there isn't anything that stops you from filing a false police report.

if you get caught.... you'll be sorry....

Ferrari Babe ¸.•*´`*♥ ♥*´`*•.¸
Of course you can if you don't mind risking committing fraud and wasting police time. It's not exactly honest is it?

footie
Rating
Only if you want to get prosecuted!!! You will still get a reference number for reporting the loss, if that's what you're after.

moojw
you can get arrested for fraud anywhere!

Bear
Gunther has hit the nail on the head!!!!

JAMES C
No.

If found out you could be prosecuted for fraud.

Not to mention the amount of police time you will be wasting with the investigation they will have to do.

woznotwoz
Rating
Wasting police time...........criminal record. Fingerprints, photograph and DNA.....tut tut don't do it.

Cookie
NO!!! now why would you want to go and do something like that?
That would be a LIE and guess what cops don't like?
RIGHT!

thunderstricken53
thats perjury and wasting police time, you can go to prison, dont be a f*cking idiot

Daniel Roberts
Rating
No its fraud , filing a false police report , perjury ( you take an oath to file that and perjury is an arrestable offense ) then there is also the fact of lying to a police officer . plus the fact that you could be billed for the man hours and serve TIME . not a good decision .

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I just receive a threatening phone call......?
Someone just call my cell phone with a block number saying they gonna blow my head off. What should I do? Will the police be able to find this person?...

Why do we have Guns?
Can Guns be Taken of the surface of the Earth?..Why do we have Guns?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Can America be like Great Britain Cops without GuNS?...

If every driver around me is doing 45 mph in a 35 mph, should I speed up to match with the flow of traffic?
If motorists blow their horns behind me when I am doing the limit, is it okay to increase my speed?...

Should I have my daughter arrested? She is taking meth, and can't quit.?
She refuses to go anywhere for help. I don't know what to do! I know that the people she hangs with are using as well. She can't hold a job, doen't come around to see her family and ...

Is this self-defense?
If you were robbed at gunpoint, and after the mugger took your money and turned around, you drew your own gun (that you are carrying legally with a concealed weapons permit) and shot him in the back. ...

I know pepper spray is not allowed in the UK but i want to give my girlfriend something to make her feel safe.
when going out at night/walking home late at night.

Can i make my own pepper spray?
is it possible to make it yourself?
Additional Details
Jubal Harshaw & writersbloc3...

Pigs might fly?
what do the police do with the drugs they get from raiding people ??...

Im 18 and live in texas..my parents say i have a curfew till i go off to college...but..?
if i told them im staying out all night @ my friends house..if they called the police can they get me in trouble?? or not.. cuz im 18.. im "legally an adult"
Additional Details

How would you improve a (our?) crime ridden society?

Additional Details
and how would you justify your choice?...

Why do you people in the US like to have guns ?
Dont guns cause more harm then good !
Additional Details
Yes we do have gun crime in the UK. Thanks for every ones answers, you made understand why you got guns now....

Partner charged with gbh section 18, criminal damage and affray.?
refused bail by crown court.remanded in custody.cctv shows him throwing some cans of beer around a local shop.he was verbally attacked (no sound on cctv).apparently seen with a knife or bottle but ...

Police Officer Taser Use?
Why do you think police officers are using their Tasers to control people so much these days. They have other choices like pepper spray, and batons. Tasers are only supposed to be used when it is not ...

Who do i talk to when a police officer wont pay his dept?

Can somebody please help a brother out?
Okay I may not be your brother but I am someones brother. Anyway I keep getting these calls about renewing my new car warranty because it's going to expire. They never tell me what company they ...

I recently recieved a police caution for poession of weed. do i need to inform the nhs (i work for nhs)?
im a dentist, got caught having a spliff by undercover cops and got away with a warning/caution. just wondering if i need to tell my boss about this caution?...

When you are driving your car, and you put your seat belt under your left arm, is this legal, or illegal?
Is it considered not wearing a seatbelt at all? But you are wearing it, but just like a lap belt?...

Do you think it is dangerous to have a glock 22 in your house?
My boyfriend moved in. He used to be a police officer and is trained to use guns safely but I still worry that if anyone else knew it was here , guests or even someone who would break in and steel it?...

Decapitating yourself?
Just reading a news article and a man has apparently committed suicide by decapitating himself. Can anyone suggest how this may be possible as im confused? x
Additional Details
i think I ...

Can cops beat people up off duty ?
i was dating this stuck-up chick for about a week, she broke up with me cause she said i pick my nose in public and pass gas at the dinner table. this is total crap.. i only done that maybe 3-4 ...

Do you appreciate if George W. Bush invades Pakistan to capture Bin Laden?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, April 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links