Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can police question a minor under 18 with out a parent or parents consent ?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can police question a minor under 18 with out a parent or parents consent ?

joeanonymous
I am assuming that you mean a young person who is a suspect in an incident.
In Canada the minor has the choice whether or not to have a lawyer, a parent, a relative, or some other adult if no relative is available present during questioning.

I as a matter of practice will not normally question a young person unless his parents are present. Young offender statements are notoriously hard to get admitted in evidence in court so all efforts should be made to have an adult there with him/her. I have however, had many youths that have provided me with a statement without their parent present by choice. This is usually done on video tape and a very clear warning is read to the youth (many times in fact) from a specially designed form (at least 8 pages long). The youth must tell you if they understand the cautions by telling you what they think they mean. They sign the form and then the statement can begin.

If the kid is not a suspect and is just a witness, then I wouldn't need a parent present (unless it was a young child, under 12 let's say).

cajunrescuemedic
Yes......depending on the laws of your state......and depending on what's going on with the case at the time...

Bob
Sure. Police can question a juvenile any time they want.
Now whether statements made outside the presence of a parent are ADMISSIBLE IN COURT is another quesiton altogether.
The answer to THAT question is almost always "no."
Police may also question a juvenile as to biographical information (name, age, address, phone) without a parent.
If the questions are not likely to illicit incriminating statements, parents would not be necessary.
Example:
Police investigating a rape. Joey is 17 and was at the party where this is alleged to have occurred. Joey is NOT named as a suspect, just a possible witness.
Police go to Joey's house and ask "did you see Nicole get raped?" Joey replies, "Sir, I gotta tell you, I did it, I'm sorry."
PROBABLY ADMISSABLE IN COURT

gmcfan101
depends on the situation if you're walking down a street at 2 am and police stop you answer them b/c if you don't then you're suspicious but answer them saying i was at joe brown house down the street here a 7 maple lane be specific not suspicious

vince
Rating
There is no state or federal law which prohibits police from questioning a minor without parental consent. However, individual schools are free to adopt policies which would require parental consent PRIOR TO allowing police to question a student who is at school. Whether or not to have such a rule is completely up to the school.

Another aspect of is whether or not statements obtained from minors without parental consent can be used against minors in court. The New Hampshire Supreme Court last dealt with this issue in 1985. In the case of State v. Philip Benoit, the defendant asked our Supreme Court to adopt the "interested adult" rule. Under that rule, no juvenile can be deemed to have voluntarily, knowingly and intelligently waived his or her privilege against self-incrimination and his or her right to counsel (the typical Miranda warnings) without first being provided the opportunity to consult with, and have present at interrogation, an adult who is informed of the juvenile's rights and is interested in the juvenile's welfare. At the time the Benoit case was decided, several other states had adopted this rule, including Indiana, Louisiana, Missouri, Vermont and West Virginia.

The Big Box
If they have been arrested, then yes. In other situations it depends on local and state laws.

Sure, why not?

dlgfdg
Rating
Yes, so long as they read them their rights, They can question anyone, even a 10 year old so long as that person understands they do not have to answer any questions unless they want to.

joey529558
Rating
depends on the states law in Texas 17 is an adult and you can be questioned like one even if your a suspect victim or witness. if the juvenille is a suspect they have to be taken before a judge and read their rights by the judge before they can be questioned as a suspect but if they are a victim or a witness they can give a statement anytime.

FTG!
Rating
Why wouldn't they be able to?

If they are a suspect in a crime - it doesn't matter what their age is. Criminals sould be locked up regardless of their age.

Erik B
In California, they can. The constitution doesn't give kids any more rights than adults (and in some cases fewer rights).

WhatTF
It depends on the state you are living in. In Arkansas you cannot question a juvenile without the parents consent.

mike j
NOOOOOOOOOO

The Doc
i don't think so in th US.

diogenese19348
With a court order, yes.

curmudgeon
Rating
Nope

janellyvanilly1276
Hell no

manglada
no they cant.

Erin
My daughter is 5 yrs old I don't c how the cops want to ask her questions about an iPod that I had / had not given her . I don't c how this is legal.

Erin
My daughter is 5 yrs old I don't c how the cops want to ask her questions about an iPod that I had / had not given her . I don't c how this is legal.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If someone is found smoking in public places, What action can we take?
As per my knowledge smoking is banned in public ...

I Was Arrested Yesterday Twice. First For Possesion With Intent To Sell, Then Possesion And Curfew?
So Yeah Thtas What Im Looking At
I have two seperate Court Dates....
am i gonna have to go to rehab.
On My record i also have a petty theft but thats it.
Am I In Deep ****?
A...

Police in the UK?
Why are Police in the UK so so lazy?... a 999 call goes out for their assistance, for example, ' i've got a CHAV brigade acting suspiciously in my street..'..the police turn up like 5 ...

Would going to AA look good to a judge and help reduce a sentence for drunk driving?

I got pulled over HELP?
i got pulled over for running a stop sign that i didnt see. heres the catch it the sign was on private property and i was parking the car in the parking lot with a permit and no adult. my mom has ...

When the police stop you in your car and tell you to get out of the car?
,if you have not did anything wrong then you dont ave to go out your ...

Gun Violence in America? Should guns be outlawed?
13,000 murders a year more than anywhere elese on the planet.....

Rape charge?
so my friend was on the news and he robbed a store raped the girl and stole her car
how long do you think he'll go to jail in Canada?...

O.J., Jail or Bail?
Facing a possible prison sentence of 35 years, will the prosecution get it right this time?...

How do i get in touch with my real father when he is in prison and my mom dosnt want to tell me anything?

Is citizens arrest real?
can you leagley shoot a cop if he wont surender his weapon and submit to a citizens arrest .if you catch him breaking law and he resists ...

What grounds do police need to strip search you cuff you and put you in a police van and search your car?
my partner was outside her mothers house taking her sons clothes out of her car a person who was just talking to her was stopped by a police van and arrested and put in it cause they found canabis on ...

I didnt get a ticket?
after i got out of school i was late on picking my girlfriend up, i was doing about 90ish because i have a nissan 350z and my buddies and i took out the governor chip out so i can floor it. anyway i ...

Do any police officers support decriminalizing marijuana?
Same rules like alcohol....

Is it true that if a woman can't talk herself out of a traffic ticket that she's really not that attractive?

Its my birthday, shall i take some pills tonight?

Is this illegal?
Is this illegal?
Lets say someone gets pull over and they leave the cd player playing and they are singing when the officer is standing right there. And that person tells the officer to wait so ...

My friend just received his driver's license, what advice would you give him?

What do you think about gun control?
I personally don't think that would ever fly!...

ARMMED POLICE if they want to play with guns shouldent they have to face the consiquenses?
excuses such as 'i was wearing ten layers of body armour and six pairs of gloves couldent feel the trigger bla bla bla. couldnt find an excuse but OH WAIT look what we found on this computor [...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, December 18, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links