Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can the Police arrest you for Public Intoxication in YOUR backyard?!?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can the Police arrest you for Public Intoxication in YOUR backyard?!?

My roommate was getting drunk in our backyard. We have a three bedroom house, on three acres of land in Mansfield, Texas. We have an entirely fenced in property, and there is a wrought-iron gate leading to our three acre backyard where the roommate in question was getting drunk. He apparently was being too loud, the Mansfield Police pulled up to our gate which leads to the backyard where he was, and proceeded to OPEN OUR CLOSED BACKYARD GATE and come into our backyard and arrest my roommate for PUBLIC intoxication. This happened about an hour ago, and as it is the middle of the night, we can do nothing about it at this point. This CANNOT be legal, can it?
Additional Details
To answer alot of the people's main question here. I would have no reason o lie, this is Yahoo! Answers for God's sake. He didnt mouth off, he's a very compliant person with police and when he made the phonecall from the Jail, was really, in reality, not all that drunk. He was listening to his music in his truck too loud I believe. But by the time the officer got here, he was heading back inside, so the officer himself had nothing to witness as far as obnoxious or loud behavior.
**On another note, we have had up to 100 people partying on our property before, and the Police came, and I personally walked up to the gate and as the Officer tried to open it, I closed and spoke to him politely through the gate, he instructed me to "Open the gate" but I told him, "No, I live here, and this gate is not opening". He complied as if he could do nothing and said he would wait outside then with a Patty Wagon to arrest all that left. But he and the other two cruisers left, and arrested no one. So.?

trooper3316
As far as entering your property, that is legal. Any public official can enter private property on official business. Keep in mind, this was not a random check. They obviously received a complaint, and were obligated to investigate.

I found the Texas Penal code defines "intoxication", but I could not find a definition of "public". My guess is because the noise could be heard off your property line, it was considered public.

ec911dude
You sort of answered the question when you said he was "being too loud". That makes it public. I'll give you an example. You have a right to privacy in your own home. And you can expect that being nude in your home violates no law, right? However if you purposefully stand nude in front of your open window where you can be seen from the private property of another or from the public right of way, you are in violation of the law. In other words, you have no reasonable right to privacy if your actions can be plainly viewed by the public. The same applies to your drunk friend "being loud" in the back yard. It obviously disturbed someone. The police have the right to enter a closed back yard to investigate. Your gate means nothing in that particular instance. It may be arguable that the act more closely fits the violation of non-criminal noise ordinance that carries a lesser penalty. But, be honest, is it possible that your roommate (being in his current state of intoxication) might have gotten mouthy and refused to comply with the Police Officer's order to pipe down? If the police are called, they have to respond. If they arrive and hear a commotion, they are duty bound to investigate. If they encounter a person who refuses to comply with a lawful order to cease disturbing the peace, they will rectify that situation by arresting the person. You cannot do something on your property that breaches the peace and maintain any expectation of privacy. I hope that helps.

MS2
Rating
Sure it's legal. If he would have kept his mouth shut...they would probably have just kept driving. When your voice extends past your property line...then you are invading public space & you can be arrested for that in California...so I bet Texas can't be too much different if your friend got busted.
If the fool was yelling stupid stuff at the cops...then that might be one reason why they came in & took him away. Let him sleep it off in jail & you'll probably get a call from him in the morning!

Deputyette
Rating
If you are disturbing the peace then, yes. Anytime you can be seen or heard by other person(s) , you need to give regard .
You cant walk around naked on your three acres if you are in view of others.
Lets say you lived in the city. If you walk around naked in your house , close your blinds first. You can also be charged.
The charges vary from state to state.

I know it sounds unfair.
Just try to drink , be merry and not too loud. lol.

Hey, did your roommate resist arrest or anything?

Dakota
Rating
He must have been causing a disturbance in order for the police to be called.

Julia S
Rating
If he was disturbing the peace, yeah, he can. Keep him inside if he's a loud drunk. Just be glad that he's not underage, or you'd probably all be in jail.

jaguar131
Rating
LUCKY HE DID NOT GET SHOT.."in the middle of the Night with a weapon (beer bottle) in his hand .being louder than the police..b a d

Bubuh
Rating
Did the neighbor complain or something?

Jason P
Rating
Don't worry about it. A good lawyer WILL get this thrown out.

Orion
Rating
Yes, I had it happen to me but the charges were dropped. It was such b.s.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What do Police officers think when They see Gangsters Joining the Military & then?
Bringing their knowledge of the ways they are trained back to teach their fellow Gang ...

How would you put these in order by there level of jurisdation?
I live in Arizona and Im doing a school project and i need to get these differant levels of law enforcement jurisdation in order....

Thanks you for your help (if u can help me)

What do you think i will get for a class 1 misdemeanor?
I am 17 years old and i have a criminal record...i was caught with my friend inhaling ...

Husband got third dui in 10 years?
We live in Illinois, I don't think our marriage is going to make it through this. I am wondering what his is going to happen? Does anyone know what his punishment is going to be? I went on ...

Social justice issue in australia?
pleasee tell ...

The security staff in my privately owned condo bldg. are nosy. isn't it non of their business what people do?
unless it violates safety or the rules?...

Why are there so many more people who dislike or hate the police then there are who appreciate them?

Violation of probation?
my boyfriend violated his probation..i was wondering whats the normal jail time for violating? we live in ...

What is wrong with some police officer that they would do something like this?
Things like this really make me Hate & Dis Respect all Cops
http://www.youtube.com/w...

Parole Stipulation Question?
my fiance was granted parole in early January with the stipulation that he complete 3 months at a minimum facility (he is currently in a medium). It has been over 2 months and they still haven't ...

Can i get a speeding ticet in the mail?
i was going like 100 on the highway and 3 cops on the other side of the highway flashed the lights as i passed them but i didn't get pulled over

the cops were parked near construction<...

Battle creek fire department?

I was sentenced with a DWAI for drinking and driving in Denver. Will I have to submit to urinalysis tests?
In February I was stopped for a DUI. Today in court the charge was dropped to a DWAI, and a condition of my sentencing is that I complete 1 year of probation. My question is simply will I have to do ...

Will I have a criminal record from when I was 12? (10pts)?
I did something REALLY stupid when I was 12 years old. I will not go into details. But I got charged twice for the same thing. I came to the police voluntarily .. if that makes a difference? I was ...

NAVY:Captains mast or Court Martial over 1 day UA(8hours 45min)?
My car Broke down Sunday Night(monday morning) around 0100 and i had to tow it off the free in north hollywood. Cost me 150 bucks to tow it to my friends house. i called the QuarterDeck around 0245 ...

Can you be an insurance agent in new york state if you have a 10 year old felony?

How would I go about being a firefighter, if I got training in the military?
Would I be able to use that experience to begin hunting jobs in firefighting, and also how does one actually go about "applying" for a job as a firefighter because I assume it is not like ...

My husband got a ticket.. what should we do?
My husband is in the navy, and came home to visit. he is stationed in Va. On the way home from dinner we were pulled over by the police, and were given a "fix-it-ticket." my husband has a ...

How do I become a police officer?
I am looking to become a police officer but Im not sure how to start. What is the first step? I am looking to start off as a local town cop in upstate NY. Any advice?...

Does anybody know any info regarding a recent 1 year extension to uk driving bans.?
Could any body clarify for me if and when there was an extension to certain uk driving bans, and ifso would my ban of 3 years i recevied before the new legislasion came in still stand or would i have ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links