Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can the police seach your home for a wanted person without a warrant and if so how often before it is?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can the police seach your home for a wanted person without a warrant and if so how often before it is?

deemed harassment

COACH
they can if in pursuit of a suspect to runs in and locks the door. a lone officer isn't likely to do that, but they have. usually will call for backup and then guard the house until they get a radio affirmation that they have a warrant. then they can go right in. that usually takes very little time. it depends much on where you live. most often, somebody calls with a complaint and they have to respond. if the same complaintant keeps call police they find no problem, they will tell the complaintant to stop it or they will get arrested!
if they come back over and over with no good cause, but until you file a complaint with a judge, you'll never know. a complaint to their chief may help.

paradigm_thinker
Rating
Yes.

Probable cause...if they saw the suspect enter your house and it is critical that they apprehend the suspect before he causes you or any who may be in the home bodily harm, then they need no warrant.

Joshuan P
Rating
The police can not search your home for a wanted person without a warrant, unless (key word unless) they have porbable cause. In example they are chasing him/her and that persons runs into your house. But other than that, it is quite difficult for them to search anything warrant-less, and without your consent.

C22
You have to give consent for anybody to enter your home, If there is evidence that a wanted person is residing there then they have to present the evidence to a judge and have him sign a search warrant to search your home. Not sure what state you are in but here a child of 14 can give legal consent for police to enter the house. If the police are chasing that subject and he/she runs into the house then they are free to enter.

Steven C
Only if you let them in. If you don't they will get a warrant and make you stay outside until they get one over to you.

browneyedgirl
Rating
the only time that they would need a warrent would be if you didn't allow them in your house. If you let them in willingly then they dont need to show you one.

madderthanthehatter
Rating
Yes, by wanted person you mean there is a warrant out of for their arrest and they have reasonable cause to assume that he is in your house, under the law they can search your house -- but only to see if he is there. They can only look to see if he is there and that is it. If you happen to be committing a crime in plain view while they are looking for a fugitive, for example if you have a ton and a half of heroin in the middle of the living room floor, what they have to do is post a policeman outside your door and go and get another warrant for the second action. But they can't open your sock drawer because obviously the fugitive isn't in there. So if you have a ton and a half of heroin that they can't see, but suspect might be there somewhere, there is nothing they can do. They can't use the fugitive warrant to search for something else.

So let's suppose you are a friend of the fugitive and in the past he has been seen in your house several times, the police have every right to search for him in your house. They have to let you read the warrant, BUT the warrant WILL say they can look where they want and they are coming into your house and if you lock them out they can break down the door and come on in.

john77
Rating
If they have strong reason to believe there's a wanted person in your home, by law they technically need a warrant, but they'll come back with one definitely

VeviPaSiempre
Rating
its voluntary...i had something similar happen to me...the cop said that if i didn't want them to, they would go and get a search warrant

LJ
Rating
yes they can if you allow them in your house

huduuluv
Unless they saw the person enter your home, or saw the person in your home, the answer is "no." Personally, I would never give consent to police to search my home, and I have nothing to hide. It's a matter of principle. We do not live in a police state.. Refuse them entry unless they have a warrant. If they do obtain a warrant and don't find the person they are looking for, the judge will think twice before issuing another warrant.

john a
Rating
Depends if they have a basis that this person is a threat to whoever is inside. Also why would you want to hang out with someone that is wanted by the police. The police only search for violent offenders so this person is a threat to you and your family. Be smart and tell this person to get the hell away from you before they bring you down too.

coris
yes

*´¨`*��Heart and Soul��*´¨`*
Rating
Usually they are violating civil rights. http://www.flexyourrights.org/at_your_door

Chas.
Kim,

Hi. If you're in the US, the 4th amendment protects you from unreasonable search and seizure.

However, the framers put the word "unreasonable" in there to keep the lawyers in business.

Basically, if cops believe there is a wanted person in your home, they're coming in.

Read some info on the link provided.

REgards,
Chas.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Do British criminals worry about the fact that mindreaders and remote veiwers are assisting the POLICE?
But are not allowed to have the evidence they collect used in a court of law. But GODS honest truth is allowed....

If you are arrested......?
If you get arrested but are later de-arrested does this mean in effect you never got into trouble and there won't be any record of this whatsoever? And would this mean that you wouldn't ...

I passed a DUI test?
i was slightly intoxicated and sleepy after leaving my friends party. i was driving on a curvy road and had cops pull me over. he said it took me a while to react to a green light and that i was ...

I have taken loan from a very rich friend, by signing in a piece of paper. without any term atached. that is?
i have taken loan from a very rich friend, by signing in apiece of paper. without any term attached. that is i keep the loan amount as long as i am able to / willing to pay interest.
now though ...

Can a cop still get you for DUI even if you're pulled over on the side of the road sleeping and resting?
my bf was intoxicated friday night. drove home and realized the freeway was traffic due to construction on the road by caltrans. he then pulled over on the median to sober up and rest because he was ...

Why would someone break into a car and not steal anything?
Someone broke into my car in the middle of the night. All they did was rummage around, moved the seat back, pressed a bunch of buttons, left the brights on, and left the door slightly open. As far as ...

For all you lawyers and legal people: Can I refuse consent for a (car) search?
'IF' (notice the big 'IF') I was pulled over for some reason and he/she had some reason to ask if they can search the vehicle, can I say no and not have any legal backfire?...

Who thinks those cops on the tube made the right choice in shooting that bloke.?
The Brazilian on the tube. With millie seconds to decide they did the best they could I believe....

Why do people who resist arrest by running and fighting with the cops not expect......................
to get pummeled?! ( o _ 0 ) I'm like hello?! Albeit excessive force is just wrong. Using the "appropriate" amount of force usually works? I guess that various amongst the ...

When you get pulled over by a cop, is it better too...?
When you get pulled over by a cop (for say speeding) and they come up to your window and do the notorious "Did you know that you were going 15 miles above the speed limit?" Is it better to ...

Who is in the wrong?
hello good people
my girlfriend been hit by another woman the other woman start it first and my girlfriend said the other woman hit her in the face hard as can be and now my gf has to go to ...

Did Mark Fuhrman plant evidence in the OJ Simpson case?
I personally think OJ was Guilty but did the police try to frame a guilty man?
Additional Details
One of the things that always annoyed me was that Fuhrman never gave a satisfying answer ...

A cop lied to me and my Dad; I need advice?
I got search by a cop illegaly in wich I did not consented and he found 2 grams of pot on me. The officer told me that if I told him where I got the pot he would drop the charges and let me go. I was ...

Summonsed to court to be a witness?
i have been summonsed to court to be a witness is there any way at all to get out of it please ...

Cutting through a Parking lot..?
If you cut through a parking lot to aviod a traffic light could a cop pull you over for a traffic violation? I'm just curious, I do it all the time at a certian light near my home....

Are your local police value for money?

Who else here believes that the constitution should be burned?
After all, it's not being used, anyway! Same with the bill of rights. Let's just burn those two things. While we're at it, let's through the flag in there! YES, now we're ...

Question for Cops?
Are patrol officers allowed to carry shotguns in their car? Cause I've heard of police shotguns, but never heard of them being used. Just ...

Why is it that police have been tasering everyone for no reason lately? Do they assume they are above the law?
Police tasering people who shout, kids who look at them the wrong way, grandmothers sitting in wheelchairs.. when will the corruption and unethical behavior ever end?...

I just noticed that my drivers license is expired...what'll happen if I get pulled over?
I just realized today that my driver's license expired 2 days ago on my birthday. I paid my license renewal fee by mail about 2 weeks ago. Do I have to go to the secretary of state and get a new ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, October 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links