Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can the repo man report my car stolen?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can the repo man report my car stolen?

First off, I'm asking for advice so please don't tell me what a loser I am, or give them my car etc.. I'm currently getting the funds together to pay my back notes.. So with that said here goes my story:

A repo man tried to repossess my car one night, I came out caught them in the act and wouldn't let them do it. I opened my garage and pulled my car in the garage, and closed it.. So the other day I go to pay my registration, to find out the "REPO COMPANY" not my "LENDER", had reported the car stolen. I've called the police and asked is that legal, they informed me that a repo man can not report a car stolen, unless they in fact "repoed it" and then you TAKE it back from them. The reason being, that even though you haven't paid for the car, its a CIVIL matter and not CRIMINAL. They never repoed it, so how were they able to report it stolen? I called the finance company and they have no knowledge if this(the car being reported stolen, and in fact told me that they would NEVER do that). Can anyone give me some advice?
Additional Details
yes the vehicle was still on my property. It was in my driveway.

Mike
Rating
I recommend that you contact an attorney.

I suspect that if the REPO company did report the car stolen that would be considered a false Police Report, which is a crime.

Daniel C
First, was the car still on your property when they tried to repo it? The law does not allow them to trespass to retrieve the vehicle. Of course their trick is to always say it was parked in the street...

Keep it in the garage, dont' drive it unless you have to. They may follow you and snag it in the public parking lot.

Now, to your question - only the legal owner and/or the bondee of a vehicle can say whether a vehicle has been stolen. The police are correct: unless the repo company actually took possession of the vehicle they are not the legal owner. The bank is the legal owner, obviously, and you are the bondee taking care of it. If the repo company gets their hands on it they become the bondee.

Let the police know that the repo company never took possession of the vehicle, that it is still in your possession and you are negotiating with the lender to take care of the payments. The repo company filed a false police report which IS a crime.

Greg P
The key is going to be how far into the repo were they. If they were just starting then yeah they didn't repo it, but if they had it off the group and on the tow truck then yeah it's probally a repo.

I would def try to find some free legal advice. Keep it out of site.

I think that it's good your trying to work with your bank. Alot of banks now are willing to work with customers to save face. I hope you can work out an arrangement.

Stephen T
Rating
Daniel C is wrong in that they can come on your property and repo the car. It is a crime if they reported it stolen when it wasn't.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How does one become a bounty hunter? Can bounty hunters operate in all 50 state?

What alternatives are used to reduce overcrowding in large prisons?

Can cops give me a dui if i was a mile away walkin fro the car?

Additional Details
thay was some other guy with me in it driven he ran i think i didnt know where the keys was to the car untill i went to get it back the next day or anything all i ...

Who was the only US President to start his own Police Dept.?

Additional Details
ITS A MAJOR CITY TODAY...

Will you be arrested for DUI if you drink the following..?
4 can of beer, 1 dirty Martini within 6 hours. Then you drive.
if cops pull you over, will you pass the alcohol test? thank ...

Ive never been served but is it still in effect?
my wife filed a ro just so another man can move in my home with my wife and 2 daughters. she also filed for divorce. i never been served the papers but did see a court date for the 13th but now the ...

How do cops,ems,and fire personnel find your house?
i know 911 traces the call but how do the personnel know the exact house on the street.i mean i see ambulances just pull right up to unmarked houses and its the right one,they dont even have to ...

How did police from a different city know my name?
2 weeks ago me and my friend stole motor oil from a store. they got us on camera in the store and got my license plate in the parkilng lot. yesterday 2 detectives came to my house but i was at school,...

16 and got my first speeding ticket..?
i was going 43 in a 25, i thought it was a 35 and it was a back road. i had only went on it once. I live in Kentucky
I have had my license for about 4 months and i haven't gotten in any ...

Jail time for probation violation?
I'll try to make this as uncomplicated as possible. My fiance has been on probation, his max out date is July 16. He got arrested on a warrant because he did not show up to court on January 28. H...

If you have a problem with a police officer can you have a different one help you?
My best friend yesterday got a protection from abuse order (a restraining order basically). She stupidly went to her house last night to pick up her kids without the police. He called the police ...

Is it leagal to shot dogs in South Carolina if they are on your property?
Our dogs got out of the yard and we live in Simpsonville, south carolina. We live on 3 acers and we were in the back yard and we heard two gun shots. We got in the truck and started loking for them ...

Does a minor have to take the psychiatric meds prescribed?
I have been told i need to increase my lexipro for the weekend, and i don't want to. Can my mom legally force me to take it?...

My son is 25. When he was 19, he got arrested for petty theft. Is there a way he can get it off his record?

Wisconsin-How many soberity tests does a officer have to give before arrest for DUI?

Im 16 and i was ounched in the face by a drug addict today, how long could he get in prison if i prosecute?
he was begging people for money 40p, so i gave him 50p, but he cursed me with swear words sayin i took the piss giving him extra, so he demanded £1.

it was in a fast food shop, yet the 2 ...

I have a question about the blood alochol level. the dmv record shows that my bf blood alcholl level was a 0.0?
and he has a second dui with a .08...well the dmv lady says that with a alcohol level of 0.0 they can't count that as a dui first offense....is that true? i've been trying to get a hold of ...

How much money does a police officer earn?
so do they pay alot? helps someone. i mean my brother wants to become one im just not so sure.. if it pays enough i mean your life is in danger.. does it pay enough ?? or is it like teachers pays ...

How does domestic violence arrest affect ones record?
My fiance physically abused me, choked me and punched me in the back of the head right in front of our babies. It's not the first time, but it's the first time I called the police. He was ...

Accused of molestation?
My boyfriend's sister is suddenly making up the story that he molested her when they were younger. She says that out of the blue one day she just suddenly remembered it happened. Her story is ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links