Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can you be a police officer if you have been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can you be a police officer if you have been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder?

Supposing, that is, that the bipolar individual is properly stabalized on medications and regularly evaluated by a psychiatrist.

Dog Lover
Rating
There is not a hard and fast list of illnesses that will disqualify you.

But, that said..........

Every agency is going to do a comprehensive mental and physical evaluation of you. If you are suffering from anything that could hamper your ability to fully do your job.. OR .. you are on any types of mind altering medications, your chances are very slim.

Sorry, its not being mean... its just being sure that society is best protected.

true blue
Rating
I seriously doubt it. I think you have to be pretty healthy without medication in order to be a cop.

mstrywmn
I hope not.

sharmel
It still would not work because Bi-Polar people are notoriously bad about going off their medications. It has always been the biggest problem, and you can't force the medication down their throats, or even know that they aren't taking them, until they are in the middle of a raging manic high. I certainly would not want to trust a manic-depressive cop with a gun, not even on his or her best day.

lordkelvin
Rating
no

hud
Rating
i would hope not

猿mikosins罪
Rating
well u have to take and pass a psych test to become an officer same thing wit da army

marie
That might not be the best career choice.

christi4681
It would depend on the agency you are applying to, in the area you live in. It is not one standard answer across the board. But for every agency you have to take and pass a psychological evaluation. Being bi-polar on medicine does not automatically disqualify you, but it would make it harder to be accepted into the agency.

Check with your local agency to find out the requirements. You can also do the civilian side if things don't work out as a certified law enforcement agent.

aceofhearts1911
I doubt there is a law against it, but you would have a hard time getting hired. I would not recommend lying about it, but give a different version of the truth. If they ask you about a disorder, just say you have none.

P.S. This is for the **** that was running off at the month about bipolar police officers with guns. You are a ******* moron. A bipolar person can buy a gun without being an officer. The only way they would be stopped is if they were institutionalized against their will by a court or were a convicted felon.

Stacey W
I guess it depends on where you live and that departments guidlines. I know that in Ontario (yes I live in Canada) My cousin who hopes to be a police officer soon has to agree to random testing to prove he is taking his medication, a weekly session with an appointed councillor to oversee his overall mental health. So long as he or she is able to responde in a reasonable mannor while on their meds and is able to preform the duties required of them then they can not be denied employment on this issue alone allthough they will be very closely monitored

Joe S S
Rating
They prefer homicidal maniacs...But in a pinch they might take bipolar....

Josh
No they cannot.

jenny
Rating
im pretty sure not, even if they take their meds, i wouldnt want a bipolar cop arresting me, and he forget to take his meds, that'll be scary

Yo it's Me
Rating
Only on your up days.

mir_mir
yes if you stay with your medication and psychiatrist....I don't really see what the problem would be...

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Don't be offended } please read though?
Ok anybody, i want to know what you thin about abortion...
All i know is that my church does this thing with a group of people. We go out and hold signs on the street to stop abortion. My friend ...

Should the main goal of prisons be to rehabilitate or punish?
I need information on this topic as well as opinions. I REALLY need stories of how rehabilitation is unsuccesful and examples of recidivism. I'm completely on the punish side. I believe ...

Is this guy the world's dumbest criminal or what?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ ROFLMAO!!!...

I am a convicted felon and am 19 trying to find a career i dont know what options i can chose from?
i was charged with aggrivated battery with a deadly weopon and then violation of felony probation a year ago and they were with held ajudication but about 6 months ago i got another vop and that ...

How old do u have 2 be 2 join the Metropolitan Police and what gcse do u need 2 join??
i live in the uk
Additional Details
i live in south ...

Can the passenger in a car drink in the USA?
Just wondering, if the driver is not drinking can the passenger in the car drink in the USA? If so/if not is this a State by State thing or is it allowed/not allowed nationally?
Additional D...

My son is a hells angel he beat a cop pretty bad can he avoid prison?

Help!. 911?
my little brother just called 911 by accident but hung up. then the people from 911 called back... they asked for my name, adress and phone number. i explained that it was my brother and he let us ...

I heard in California and Texas that if you are pulled over by a Police Officer you should put your hands up..
immeadiately and remain seated. Is this factual or just and exaggeration? This is a serious question not a joke....

How do i get my bike back off the police?

What will I be charged with in this case?
I am 16 & stole 2packs of cigs today at a little covenient store owned by foriengers or w.e. and they were on the counter so noone was at the counter so i ran in grabbed em' ran out and the ...

Why isnt weeeeed legal???
when theres been no recorded fatalities,, think how many deaths there are per year, drink related, and alcohols legal. discuss....

Can police officers do this?
I was arrested for writing a bad check that was 450 dollars. when at the jail I did everything they told me to. The officer took me to a room for me to be searched I ask why i had to be searched for ...

Anybody ever met a DRUNK cop?
Have any clue of how many it took to get them drunk?
Do you KNOW the cop, or did you just happen upon them???
Additional Details
I have a friend of mine who is a cop-
he gets ...

Is this OK to be happening?! This is a question about cops/sheriffs!!?
I was hanging out with my friends until 11pm Friday night. I called my dad to pick me up. Of course, he was sleeping. He just pulled on pants, grabbed is keys, and went down the street to get me. My ...

I rear ended a car that came to a sudden complete stop No police report was made,not my fault PLEASE?
I rear ended a vehicle that came to a complete stop going 45mph they were in the wrong lane trying to merge on the fwy. I hit the vehicle from the back (the bumper, rear end collision). We pulled ...

I got caught stealing from Walmart 6 months ago... but nothing happened?
Okay, I got caught stealing from Walmart 6 months ago when I was 17 years old. I am now 18.
-The police were called.

I have not recieved any letter from Walmart or the City for my ...

Cops be honest with me?
Do you really care about people speeding? I mean within a reasonable range, obviously if someone is going over 100 mph I would care as well. But I'm talking people going 75 on the freeway which ...

How do cops know they are going West/East/North/South on streets?
When i watch Cops or a TV show/Movie with cops, they always state if they are going West/South/north/East on what ever street they are on, what i want to know if how do they know what direction they ...

Will we ever learn that gun control needs to be way strictor?
i mean all the school shootings i understand 2nd amendment rights but thats for a militia right so why dont we just do away with guns and give them to people who need them like cops and military
<...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, October 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links