Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can you become a cop after being arrested and having the charges dropped?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can you become a cop after being arrested and having the charges dropped?

I bought from an undercover.

gabs4_28
Rating
i would have to say no cuz u were still doin the act

sucwad
of course all cops are criminals

theooldman
Horse Puckys!
Many many police have felony convictions, from big city fuzz to small town bozo's you cna find hem in alost every department especailly in big citys.
Police Forces have many differnt occupational fieldsds within them from dispatchers, intelligence agents, to clerks and armed patrool duty cops.
Domestic vilolece is one case in point. Whiel some deparmtents do not alow any offcier to have such a previous charge even a guilty or innocnet on their forces they can and many do hire them or keep them on force in a non armed( funny but they can be armed in National Emergency or under federal control) situations: motor pool clerk etc.
Try to get record expunged, join military police force, then apply after leaving such.
many many samll towns like good cheap wages hey can pay a guy desperate enough to take any job just to be a cop.

surfinthedesert
Rating
If the charges were dropped, you have NO criminal record and are not guilty (in the eyes of the law) of ANY crime. They do not generally ask about arrests. They ask about convictions. You were not convicted. You should have no trouble getting a job with the police department unless you're applying to the same department that arrested you and they "remember" who you are.

uknowme
Rating
NYC will take you. They're desperate for people and unfortunately criminals are being hired.

I hear all cops are criminals; I must be doing something wrong because I live paycheck to paycheck.

Bob T
Rating
As long as you were not CONVICTED of a felony, yes you can. If you have any felony conviction or a misdemeanor charge involving perjury or false statement you cannot become a cop. But, since you were probably using the drugs it depends on how long ago we're talking about here. Just admit to it and you as long as you are not currently using you should be OK.

nukehoop
You do still have a chance. As long as you have NO CRIMINAL RECORD you can still be employed as a law enforcement officer. If the hiring agency finds out, they may ask you why the charges were dropped. If you have a decent explanation as to why you bought drugs from a narc (as if you could) they may hire you. My best advice would be to simply tell them that you have no criminal record and hope they don't sniff out the fact that you were arrested. A good attorney can cleanse any record of your incident, pay the money and have an attorney do some rehab and ask his/her advice while your at it.

Cali Cop
It is possible. What did you buy? Marijuana and crack are very different. Most departments won't hire you if you have used "hard" drug before. When they do the background and lie detector, they ask you if you have ever used drugs or committed any crimes. Unfortunately you have, even though the charges have been dropped. It doesn't matter how much time has passed and it doesn't matter if it was taken off your record. If it was a felony crime that you committed and you didn't get caught or convicted, then chances are they will pass on you. Let some time pass and give it a try. They realize no one is perfect and as long as you show that you are different now, they may take a chance on you. There is alot of competition out there for these type of jobs, but if you are a good candidate in every other area, then they have something to think about. Good luck.

psstoffagain
Rating
Unfortunately no... the police do exptensive background checks and even though the charges were dropped, you were still accused of an immoral act.. The police departments want people that are above all that nonsense..So going against other candidates, you will probably be excluded..

Rating
Generally speaking, if you have a criminal record, forget it.

momathomewith2boys
Rating
Probably not because given the choice, you will probably going against other candidates. I'm certain they'd pick someone over the person who was arrested. (Especially, for buying.)

i like gums
Rating
im a magical cop

Eddie
Give it up.

The LEO community doesn't need a doper in the ranks.

Doc Cohen
Absolutely. Even if you have a conviction you can do it, but not a felony. Felon's can't carry firearms, and you can't be a cop if you can't carry.

nickle
hard to say-usually NOT-go check with the dept and ask them what the requirements are-its the best way to find out.

C B
Every department has its own guidelines. You'll have to check with the department you would like to work.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why Do Most cops Think They Are Equal To Jesus Christ In Every Possible Way???? They Are Just demons, Period?
A bit of information for all the crooked uneducated cops & their families/associates who bash and accuse me of being recently in trouble with the law; Im 27, happily married, never been arrested, ...

If I have a bench warrant in PA can they come to Illinois and arrest me? or can I start over here with a new j
I am on probation in PA I am having lifeproblems that don't involve the law but needed to be with family. I left PA and went to Illinois to be with family hoping to make a new start. My ...

Should the Police in the UK have the right to say they don't want to be armed?
Should the Police in the UK have the right to say they donít want to be armed?

In my view, NO. I think by refusing to be armed they are putting peoples lives in danger. The standard policy ...

When the POLICE are not Busy, Should we get them to TAXI us around????
rather than them sitting on a break @ Starbucks on 31 South x ~ 30 minutes (@ 2AM) with their car running, aren't we paying for that gas (@ $2.80/gallon), forget the Planet, TAXI us!!!...

Atheist do not believe in God but they quietly obey the Policemen and follow the laws made by Gods fearing men
Isn't strange ? Does it mean they are not afraid of God but afraid of going to jail if they go against policemen and the law maker. Which means their limit is very short and its just talking ...

If I have a warrant for my rest, how many cops will come serve it to me? I'm 6'5 and 325lbs?
Will they mail it or try to call me?...

Did you deserve the last ticket you got?
Be honest now. We all complain when we get stopped, but thinking about it......did you honestly deserve the last citation you got?...

What's the stupidest question ever asked here?
I know it's hard, there are so many......

In the next ten years to you expect crime rate to go up?
Expect to go up.........................
Down
or do not know
Additional Details
This is getting so scarey - only a few minutes on and we all think UP - perhaps our MPs in UK ...

Why do people ignore the police warnings to not drive when it's been snowing?
Seriously, you are not indispensible - I'm sure the office will live without you for the day.
Additional Details
italienne: don't know where you live, but here we can't be ...

I was dragged by my hair and thrown out of an open house by a scum realtor. Can I sue the realty company?
I saw a sign that said " OPEN HOUSE DRINKS AND SNACKS "

So I got my husband Argus, Friend Donna Jeane, Shirley, Anna, Wilbur smith, Aggy and her 5 children, steve, Hank and his ...

Can stun gun knock people out?
Can Stun Gun knock people out?
If so, how much of votage do i need and how long would it take?
Thank ...

Are you satisfied or disappointed that Cho killed himself?
Some want answers, some justice, some revenge, some want to save money. What say you?...

SURVEY: If you're about to be put to death by lethal injection, what would your last meal be?

Why are people so concerned over the rights of criminals?
why are people so concerned over the rights of people that have murdered or raped, people are concerned about their humanity, when that person wasn't concerned regarding the rights of the victim....

How do i report a pot smoker?
this is important.
Additional Details
this woman snitched on me and got me kicked out of my house. so if you think im a snitch think of a 37 year old woman who got me a 15 year old girl ...

Our cities police cars are white. YOurs?

Who else thinks guns make the world a better place?

Corruption in America?
Is it true that there is not corruption in America? I mean, if I gave $1,000 USD to an officer if I was driving drunk, what would happen?

P.D. Or $2,000 USD, whatever....

What happens if a cop pulls you over and you forgot to bring your drivers license?

Additional Details
thanks for all the answers guys.hopefully i wont get pulled over on my way home....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, December 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links