Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can you get a DUI for passing out in your car with the keys in the ignition?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can you get a DUI for passing out in your car with the keys in the ignition?

If the cops see you test you and you are over the BA limit?

tmilestc
Yes and that is one of the most communistic laws I have ever heard of

MenifeeManiac
Rating
Yes! As long as you are behind the wheel and inebriated, you can arrested for DUI.

Your best bet is to hide the keys in the bushes, and sleep in the back seat of the car.

Although you may still be arrested, it will be harder to convict you.

Good luck!

Heidi 4
Rating
Of course, you were driving before you passed out drunk. Thank God you didn't kill someone before you descended into oblivion.

robbie
Rating
Well that would be a classic "caught in the act" scenario.

Not mention dumb.

Dr.Bucksnort
Rating
yes and if the vehicle is on a public street the keys do not even need to be in the ignition

drunkandisorderly
Rating
Best to put the keys on top of the tire, and pass out on the ground. Much better than getting behind the wheel and putting everyone at risk due to your stupid behavior. You're better off if the cops catch you driving drunk than if I do!

katjha2005
Rating
You watched Everybody Loves Raymond didn't you- according to that episode you could

Evil Neo-con Nazi
Rating
Yes, even if your car isn't running, keys in the ignition shows intent to drive.

regerugged
Yes. I know of more than one case where an intoxicated person was an accident victim and still got busted for DUI.

LisaC
Rating
Yes. Case law shows that having your keys in the ignition while you're in it, even if you're passed out, shows that you are in physical control of the automobile -- one of the key elements to a DUI. If you're going to pass out in your car, take the keys out of the ignition. Then you will be praised for doing the right thing . . . not driving while drunk.

dude.
Rating
Yes, in most places the keys in the ignition and you intoxicated in the drivers seat qualify as drunk driving.

mnwomen
Yes you can as you have the keys in your possession and you might wake up and drive while still impaired.

killa_kutii
Rating
Yeah
as long as you are behind a wheel of any moving vehicle
like a goft cart
go cart
bicycle
car
etc
you can get a DUI

Teagan's Mommy
Rating
Yes. If you need to pass out in the front of your car put your keys on the dash board.

Mark S
Rating
Yep

Lawenforcer329
You would be arrested for Actual Physical Control of a Motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. APC...............

Sarge
Rating
You can but I never made such an arrest, it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

One time I arrested a drunk past out in a residential neighborhood pressed in the up against the horn in the middle of the street. After about five minutes attempting to wake him, I took him in for public intoxication and let him sleep it off at the precinct lock up.

CGIV76
Rating
NO!. The violation is: Being in physical control of a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, drugs, etc.. This is a subsection of the DUI laws, and the keys do not have to be in the ignition, you just have to be in control of them.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why are black, hispanic more often search, arrested?
I read the newspaper the other day and it was an article about black and hispanic are more often search and arrested US. Study find. Anyone has an educated opinion on this?...

If i do a bomb threat to my school but i dont actually have a bomb, is that illegal?
Not that im planning on it or anything.
just a question.
Additional Details
is it really a felony???
wow..
so if i did that, what would happen exactly?
im 15 and live ...

Drink Driving sentencing - UK?
Can someone please tell me what the typical punishment is for a first drink driving offence in the UK.

Not the maximum, not the minimum, the most common..

Thanks.....

Should women who cry rape falsely continue to remain annonymous?
I`m referring to the latest case of Jack Gillett. There have been over the last few years a number of high profile cases where the man in question has been found not guilty and the women accusers ...

Could driving naked in your car be against the law?
If someone is driving their car with no clothes on, completely 100% nude. Is that legal or illegal? is that considered indecent exposure? Or could it be considered as that?...

Do you hate cops or police officers?
i cant stand them. Everything about them annoys me.
they lack any redeeming qualities that makes a person likeable.
no skills, no class, low budget, trash..... i hate pigs!!!

Human rights?
Drug addicts made to go cold turkey in prison-surely when they commit a crime they waive their human rights (to a degree), havent they violated somebody elses human rights when they offended?...

Are You Afraid To Go Out Alone At Night By Yourself and WHY?

Additional Details
The reason WHY helps establish a better idea what I may need to gain greater confidence....

Is it against the law to curse in public?
is it against the law to curse in public?
is that considerd free speech?...

Got pulled over for going 16 over.?
They had their dumb laser gun, but I was only going 9, or 10 over, and he wrote me down for 16. He said I was going 16 over, but unless my spedometer lies, I wasn't... But since I am 16 I have ...

UK.Can anyone remember when police officers could be relied on to give good advice?
I popped into the local police station today because a friend was effecively told she by a police officer, that she was not allowed to defend herself if somebody attacked her.
I told the ...

Why do we have Sheriff's and Policemen?
What's the big difference between the Sheriff Dept, The Police Dept, The Constable and so forth? I mean why do we need that many different names for law enforcers and which ones out rank the ...

Give me an example of a felony?

Do you think police officers are entitled to the same respect as regular human beings?
Police treat us with little to no respect:
racial profiling
planting evidence
beating civilians
shooting civilians
etc...

All officers who are about to reply with ...

Should child molesters automatically receive the death penalty?
If not, find me a study that show conculsively that a child molester can be rehabilatated....

Which is more torturesome: 25 years in prison, or a death penalty?

Smoking in the car with Kids???
I live in Louisiana and I was told that they are passing a law that you cant smoke in the car if you have a child 60lbs and under!...

Can babies go to jail?
like if they are convicted of a crime....

Police officers?
do police officer in the US get their weapons(guns,mace, ammo,baton) issued to them or do they have to buy it on their own?...

Do you believe it takes a certain personality type to be a police officer?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, August 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links