Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can you get a traffic ticket for cutting through a gas station parking lot to avoid a red light?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can you get a traffic ticket for cutting through a gas station parking lot to avoid a red light?

CGIV76
Rating
Yes. Avoidance of a traffic control device.

Mustardseed
Rating
in california you surely can. my husband got one for that very thing. NOT an urban legend!

sea link
Rating
YES

Chele
You sure can! It's called "avoiding a traffic control device" here in New Jersey, and yes, I know someone who got nailed for it. He hasn't done it since :)

Bob J
It depends on the state. All of them I have lived in you can get a ticket.

zebrafarts
Yes

Pfo
Rating
Yes, it is called "avoiding an intersection", you can get it anytime you go out of a lane into a lot to dodge a light.

izzie
Yes! it's considered open to the public like a parking lot ect.

rukidding
Yep.

Tom Sh*t
Rating
In most states it is illegal. It is considered unsafe driving and the potential for a fatal accident rises. After all people are also walking across the lot.

When I got out of high school I worked at a gas station and one night I had to measure teh tanks. that was dropping a meacuring stick in the actual tank and reading it. One night I was doing this when a car decided avoid the light and cut through the light. By the time he realized I was there it was nearly too late and he missed me by perhaps a foot. The driver didn't really slow down, and never stopped. If I had been hit it is likely he would have killed me.

That is why it is a moving violation in most states.

sylvio g
only if you get caught

Razor Jim
Rating
Yes

A.Mercer
The law in Texas states:

§ 545.423[0]. CROSSING PROPERTY.
(a) An operator may not cross a sidewalk or drive through a driveway, parking lot, or business or residential entrance without stopping the vehicle.
(b) An operator may not cross or drive in or on a sidewalk, driveway, parking lot, or business or residential entrance at an intersection to turn right or left from one highway to another highway.

I found it by searching for "545.423" at
http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/statutes.html

That basically says that you cannot use the gas station parking lot to go from one road to another. Even if the light is green, you can get a ticket from crossing the parking lot just to get to the other road.

Jgain---Yes, there are laws against this. I just gave you the actual Texas law and even a link so that you could look it up yourself.

-Tequila9+
Yes, and the range of offenses can vary from reckless driving to illegal turns. However, you would probably have to be blatant about it.

BTW: Tickets are usually issued because the business complains about the traffic. It's dangerous to their patrons. Someone who is cutting through the lot is usually in hurry and may inadvertently collide with their customers. Which is NOT a good thing for several reasons.

Peace.

beautyqwn4eva1
I don't think so...my mom does it all the time though! HA!

senior citizen
This is a violation of the law in many jurisdictions. Anyone who does this deserves to be ticketed for trespassing and endangering others by their reckless action.

Curious1usa
Yes, and I am guessing you already did.

and,or,nand,nor
Rating
yeap!

woodyhou
Rating
It is called cutting corners to avoid traffic control device in Texas so yes you can get a ticket.

JANET S
Rating
In California you can. It is called an illegal U Turn! If you are going to do that, stop your car and check your tires. Then it is not considered illegal.

chetter
Rating
yes!

thudson
Yes you can so do not do it.

JAS33
Rating
yes

wreaser2000
it is against the law in most cities you better check local laws before thinking it is an urban ledgend. In most states it is considered reckless driving

Word Nerd
Rating
Yes. Years ago I had a friend who was pulled over for that very reason. Ended up getting a DUI too.

Kathy H
Yes, you can. Although it may not be enforced in your area, it's still illegal. The law enforcement agency in our area actually puts a guy on the sidewalk sitting on a bucket in plain clothes with a newspaper that has a walkie talkie in it. Whenever someone cuts through the gas station or runs the red light, he radios the patrol on the other side. Sometimes they switch it up and pretend to be a survey crew or maintenance workers.

rayb1214
In many places, yes. Hard to get caught though, and you can always try telling the cop that your just checking prices.

Chrissy
Rating
Yes, it is against the law to bypass a red light by cutting through any p/l. It dumb law but it is one.

mark v
yes it is the same as running a red light!

cornell b
Depends on the "ticket quota" for the day....

Peter P
Rating
I love you

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If I killed in self-defense, would I go to jail?
I've been threatened by my psycho drug user ex-stripper neighbor yesterday and called the cops on her. It took them 30 minutes to get here. She almost broke into my house and I was ready to grab ...

What do you think about drink drivers?
Or people who try to avoid being caught by posting questions like "how do I avoid a breath test?" on here.

Serious answers only please as I have lost someone very close due to a ...

Leagalise all druge yes or no?
Would it be wrong to give everyone the complete known facts about all illegal drugs before either opening large compounds where those who wish to possibly become addicted and kill themselves could go ...

What is freedom ?

Do you have complete confidence in the British Justice system?

Why did the police NOT arrest the Muslim women outside court yesterday?
With the full black uniform [can't spell burka] waving banners screeming "Police burn in hell" being PROTECTED no less by police WOMEN incase someone were to attack THEM.
A...

Why are the police never around when you need them?
yet there always on hand to grab motorists for petty crimes. is this just a case of me being sceptical or have any of you guys got similar beliefs
Additional Details
i do believe we need ...

Is it really true that if you enter your ATM pin # number backwards, it will automatically contact the police?

I'm an illegal immigrant living on the streets and being pursued by the cops, how can I get them off my trail?
The family I was living with kicked me out because "all I ever did was lay on the couch". So now I'm on the run. Please help me!
Additional Details
I jump from library to ...

Why do white people never get in trouble wit the police?

Do people ever stop to think about how much sacrifice is made by our police officers?
have you ever just approached a police officer and said thank you?
Additional Details
wanda-i'm not saying there are not other people and family that shouldn't be appreciated ...

Do people believe in the re - establishment of capital punishment for murderers , paedphiles and terrorists?
Do you think the do gooders who have too much say in this country are fifth columnists and deserve to be classed the same as the above....

If you seen a cop chasing someone, would you?
Laugh if he tripped on something in front of you?...

Is it illegal to drive a car without wearing shoes?
My husband says it is. I've never heard of any such thing....

Im going to prison, Any advice?
Well, First of All I am 5'6 150 Ibs White boy... and Im going to Prison for at least 5 months max of a year...... not jail.... Prison... so basically im gonna die... but any advice?!
A...

Why don't the British police like black people?
why don't the British police like black people?
i saw my best friends brother who is black get beaten up and sworne at racially by the police just last month and other people saw and heard ...

My view is that the police are less than interested in most everyday crime. Do you share this opinion.?
You read everyday how the police will arrest a Grannie for defending herself against a mugger yet get burgled and they could not care less except for sending you a letter on how to get counselling. O...

Why do police officers break the law they swore to uphold ?
What makes them do it ?...

Not allowed to drink out of a pint glass?
my boyfriend won't let me drink a pint of lager he says i can have two halves, but not a pint, unless the pubs quiet, cos he says i'll look like a "chav" . should i put up with ...

I have been charged with assult i am in breach of a six month prison sentence for the same crime does this mea
the court will automatically activate the suspended ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, August 27, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links