Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can you get arrested for.....?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can you get arrested for.....?

pawning (not selling) someone else's property, but this someone is long overdue on paying you money? is that possible?

junaidi71
Rating
You will be held responsible for the value of the stuff you pawned.

Uncle Beavis
Yes, if that person reports it stolen.

You can get arrested for anything if the police think you are guilty,

eric r
Rating
yes you can get arrested that's called stealing. if you want your money you must press charges and take them to court. as soon as you decide to take the law into your own hands by any measure you are now committing a crime also

been there done that
Rating
yes, it is trafficking in stolen goods.

Spud
Rating
You pawned, you stole it.

E=MC2
Rating
Yes.

Desperate
No. You could get in a lot of trouble if you stole the property and are trying to sell it. If he 'gave' it to you, your fine

Jessica
Rating
If they gave you permission to pawn it, then it's fine. if you are doing it without their knowledge and they report it lost or stolen or try to press charges then yes!

Ren
Rating
um....yes. it's called stealing. unless there is a written contract saying that if they do not pay you that you are entitled to their possessions, then yes, you can get arrested!

Chelsea B
Rating
depends on how long overdue...and depends on if they sue...you might get a ticket though, also depends on what it is, as long as its not like a car i doubt you will end up in jail!

FOB
Rating
Yes. If someone owes you money, the legal thing to do would be to sue them in civil court for whatever they owe you.

You cannot just decide to sell their property as a way to pay back their debt. If you do, they can press charges on your for selling stolen property.

Let's say you owe someone $300 and they're tired of waiting for you to pay. How would you feel if they just came over, took your XBox and said "okay, now we're even"? That's kinda messed up, and if someone did that to you, could could have them arrested for stealing your XBox...

Remember what just happened to OJ Simpson!!! Don't be like OJ!!!

womanofghostbear
Rating
yes, unless maybe they gave you the property as co lateral, and there was a contract.

Mike O
A first consult with a lawyer is generally free. It sounds like you need to talk to one based on the varied replies to your question.

Carhop3000
Yes you can if they report it stolen. Not only will you get arrested, but you will have to pay for it and also will never be able to pawn anything again because you will be in the system as having pawned stolen property before. What you are thinking of doing is very foolish.

Randi S
if the person knows about it then, no. If they should come back for it and was not aware that it's been pawned, you can get in trouble.

JeBzRa!l
Rating
HA HA Funny! um i don't think that's legal

steelfist
im not sure but i think u can get arrested

Jiminy Glick
Usually a fine/ticket is issued. In some cases, however, depending on the value of the object, a suit may be filed in court and a fine may be issued and failure to pay a court fine means jail time for you.

knowmore
Depends on how you obtained that property. If you stole it then, its theft and distribution of stolen property. If it was given to you or lent to you then that's a different story. I doubt the police would even get involved. I believe that that point it becomes a civil matter that they could sue you for. However, its not the greatest way to make your money back.

Jesse J
Yes, depending on how you got the property its either Burglary(if you had to break into the house to get it) or Larceny. You can also be charged with possesion of stolen property. If you want your moneyback legally you have to take them to civil court.

jakflak
Rating
Taking it is theft.

AkD
Rating
WAAAA

You cant sell someone else or touch anybody else property

SuperVibrationalEscrow
Rating
Yes you certainly can, not to mention the pawn shop can get in trouble for handling stolen goods. You cannot take someone's items unless they gave them to you as security for the loan. If they gave you the items to secure the loan, and didn't pay you back in the time required, you might be able to keep the items and do as you may with them. Otherwise it is pure theft and you will get in a lot of trouble.

daisyboo147
Well ur taking something without permision.
Ya!!!

Zeloz
You are all idiots! Do you not realize that converting someone else's property is called stealing? Of cause you can get arrested for it.

You'd just get a ticket? What is this??? If I sold your house would you be satisfied if the police just gave me a slap on the wrist and gave me a ticket???

Even if the person owes you money, you are required to go through the normal court processes. What else are the courts used for?

celeticflower
Rating
Yes you could be arrested. If I was you, I would hold their property for collateral, and file a small claims against them. Except first I would tell them my plan on what I could do, meaning small claims, and give them one more chance to pay what they owe. Otherwise inform them you will see them in court. Better to be legally safe, than sorry for pawning.

Devon
Rating
yes it is conversion

Just me.
Yes. Stealing is stealing .

There is a right way and a wrong way about law.

If someone owes you $ sue them in a small claims court, prove your case to a judge and you wouldn't t have to think about being bailed out of jail .

Dallen B
Rating
Each state has a little different definition of laws and the elements required for prosecution; some states might consider it embezzlement. If the property was entrusted to you and you converted it (such as sold it or traded it) to your own use or benefit you may be charged with a felony; a crime usually punished by1 year or more in state prison, a fine, probation, or some form of all. If you pawned it and fail to claim it you have in fact sold the item. You need to check local (state) laws for your own state. America's laws (this does not include Bush's I can do what I desire attitude) do not recognize two wrongs make a right!

Alex A
yes and you can get taken to court

angelswife
Rating
yes because if they report it stolen then u have a real problem it stolen property and u pawned it under your name. so if the cops check the pawn shop for it and u pawned it u were in posession of stolen property that u pawned. so yes u can get arrested i work in a precint so i seen this happen before good luck

LISA
I HAVE A CO WORKER SHE ISNT LEGAL MARRIED TO THE GUY BUT SHE IS LEAVING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND TRYING TO SELL ALL HIS STUFF BEFORE SHE LEAVES IS THAT LEGAL?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

My parents are trying to force me to go to church. Is there a law against this?
I am a 13 year old Atheist and my parents are christian, they are trying to make me go to thier church but I don't want to because if I go I feel they are trying to make me a christian ...

Why do people cry when they are being questioned by police?
Is this a common response from innocent people, or is an indication that they have something to hide?...

Has there ever been a woman serial killer?
I'm just curious
Additional Details
Well, You just never hear about them as much as people like ted bundy or jeffery dahmer......

Who thinks WalMart goes too far with surveillance?
Security Cameras, RFID Spychips???

The other day I was at Wal Mart and I noticed that there was a tiny hidden camera behind some products on the shelves. It kind of made me think...do they ...

I hate police do you?if not why?

What should i do if i'm 18 and have very strict parents?

I just saw a monkey with a kitten on its shoulder riding a bicycle past my house, should I call the police?

Do police have the right?
Every new year me and my close freinds burn down one of our homes its traditon this year its my turn and cant wait until my house goes up in flames my freinds help build whos ever house gets burned ...

When a cop searches your house depending on what it is, will they always need a search warrant?
Just wondering if there are any exceptions to the rule. A cop searched my house today without one and I didn't say they could do that, and later charged me with a misdemeanor for what she found (...

As a single mother who does not like guns, what should I get to defend my home?
Sometimes, I wonder what would happen if someone broke in. I've been told that because I am a small woman, I would be laughed at if I approached with a baseball bat. I've also been told ...

Do you hate cops?
the cops who are like... responding to domestic disturbances and pulling over drunk drivers are good and im glad we have them.

but i detest speeding ticket cops! what about you?
A...

Would I get in trouble for killing a child molester?
Why should I get in trouble for that?...

If i set a house on fire but warn everyone to get out first what can i get done for?

How come pizza gets to your house quicker than the police do?

Can I be arrested ...?
I have a warrant in another county about 3-4 hours away from here from an old speeding ticket.. How likely is it that I would be arrested here if I was pulled over for anything?
Additional D...

Who can help if my estranged husband kidnaps our children and the police wont help?

I had my bike stolen today - what should I do if I see someone riding it?
It was locked to a bike stand. It looks like someone cut my cable-lock with something quite substantial - while I was in Sainsburys for 15 mins.
The policeman I reported it to said, if I see it, ...

Can I be charge with assault for spitting in a cops face?

If you find a family member dead who do you call. this is a serious question, have some compassion please.?
the doctor, police, ambulance who do you inform first?
Additional Details
no you lot have got me wrong no ones dead not yet anyway. my grandmother is in hospital. when we went to her ...

If someone is provoking you to fight with bad words are you allowed to hit them?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, July 26, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links