Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can you or your parents get arrested for not going to school?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can you or your parents get arrested for not going to school?

I wanna prove my brother wrong...help me out please! Oh and in California to be specific.

beverly
If you miss enough school that it rises to the level where it could be considered 'neglect', then yes, they could be arrested. You could personally be arrested for truancy as well, which also would not reflect very well on your parents.

Sometimes parents who homeschool their children are contacted by CPS for this reason. (I am not commenting on the validity of homeschooling either way - I am just pointing out that such things happen).

If we're talking about one or two days a year for miscellaneous reasons - then no, no one is going to jail. I kept my kids out of school for three extra days once to take them to Disneyworld; there was no danger of any kind of a charge there.

Drixnot
yes.

http://www.lao.ca.gov/2004/compulsory_ed/020304_Compulsory_Education_Laws.htm

The crafter
YES (Hate to tell you what you don't want to hear, but your brother is right)! Your parents can face criminal charges and be arrested if you are a habitual truant. If there is a pattern of failing and/or refusing to go to school for a period of time (unexcused)......and as long as you're a juvenile (under 17 years of age), your parents will be given warning about the truancy matter. Then, if it continues, your parent(s) will or could face criminal action against them. CPS (Childrens Protective Services) will also look into the matter as well. Additionally, you, as a juvenile will also suffer consequences via juvenile courts too.

Refer to:
Education Code Section 48293

SGT. D
Yes.

April
Yes, my mom almost did but then I turned 18

tiffncody4
Rating
Yes, it is called truancy. You can be placed in a program for delinquent juveniles and your mom can be charged with this and sentenced to incarceration, probation, community service, etc.

Go to school! It's the most important thing in your life.

jake
Rating
thats the stupidest thing i ever heard the people saying yes im not saying its not true but thats ridiculous i doubt the police will actually do something for that atleast in canada

jclarke
@jake - it has nothing to do with the actual police. The school boards have what is called a truancy officer and yes it does happen in Canada. Not only are you charged but you have to appear in a court and a judge determines whether you are put in a group home, charged a fine or community service and there is always probation time. Your parents can be put in jail, fined or also do community service and probation time as well. I live in Canada and this is happening to my nephew.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

BREAKING AND ENTERING MOTOR VEHICLES?
IM 15 AND WAS CAUGHT ONE LATE NIGHT WITH SOME BOYS BREAKING IN CARS AND THE POLICE CAME AND TOOK US TO JUVIE I GOT OUT AFTER A MONTH BUT IM ON HOUSE ARREST I BEEN ON HOUSE ARREST FOR 2 AND A HALF MONT...

What happens if your caught drinking underage?
So what happens if your caught drinking underage in Ontario, Canada with no adult supervision?
Will pick best ...

Police chase question?
There’s the “too dangerous” hype about police chases, and I must agree there’s a risk, but in many cases it’s worth it. Police chase cars for reasons and it’s not for 5 km/h over the limit. What I’m ...

Completed adult diversion, now what happens?
I just completed a year of adult diversion. My understanding is now the what was seen as "pending case" turns into a dismissal. Does this mean it will not show on a background check, since I...

Is this considered check forgery?
I wrote a personal check out to my sisters landlady, but my sister went to a bank in another town (same bank name) and signed her own name (not the landlady's but her own) and the bank cashed it....

Unlawful use of weapon. Illinois?
Ok, so it was a blank gun(shoots nothing) (not loaded, it was in the back of the vehicle, not reachable)
there was five people in the car and the weapon was not mine.
(I was not driving)<...

How long do they search for a missing child?
About how long after a child goes missing do police give up the search? Obviously after so long the chances of finding the child slim down extremely, but roughly how long would it take for police to ...

Can you get arrested for finding a G1?
i found a G1 at the park. I was waiting for some one to call. But no one ever did. So i want to keep it now. But i dont know if i can get arrested for having the phone. And i also want to change my ...

WHAT IS REQUIRED TO GET A EXPIRED pOLICE OFFICER LICENSE REINSTATED?

Can ppl with warrant in another state be able to travel on commercial airline w/out getting in trbl?

What if I don't receive my red light violation ticket by mail ?
I'm a 20 years old cyclist from CANADA who caught a ticket for running a red light in San Clemente, California. The policeman gave me a ticket with no fine on it...saying i will receive ...

ATTN: New Officers! Feeling the same as I am?
I will be starting my Law Enforcement career this week with a department near St. Paul, MN. I am 24 year old female and am very, i dont want to say nervous, but anxious, to start my career as a cop. ...

Days spent in police custody?can i get compensated?
My friends partner has spent 10 days in police custody on seperate occasions only to be let out and not be charged with any offence i have told my friend that it is police harassment.The police ...

Can police remove son from parents house?
My mates having a rough time at the moment. He doesn't really get on with his parents and they threaten to get get the police to come in the house and remove him but he has nowhere really to go. ...

Will I lose my SSI checks if I go to jail in Boise ID?
Someone called the police on me for harassing phone calls , its false but i missed the court date. Will I lose my ssi because of this ?...

I got a photo radar speeding ticket in the mail, what happens if I do nothing?
It's from the Arizona Department of Public Safety/Traffic Enforcemnet. It wasn't from like the city of Scottsdale or Tempe. Does this makes a difference. I heard if you do nothing in 90 ...

Is there a website I can go to and see if somebody is in jail?
I think my friend might be in harris county jail
Is there a way I can look this up?...

Have you ever been arrested?
Just wanted to know =] and was prison bad....

Are british police officers allowed to cover their badge numbers?
This is to do with the G20 protests.

Apparently the police covered their badge numbers before attacking the *peaceful* protesters.(so no one can file a complaint against an individual ...

18 year old guilty of burglary writes name on wall, what charge in the UK could he face?
I want to contrast with NY state law but I am having trouble locating any useful websites.
I know he was charged with burglary and has to pay fines, I am wondering what the maximum sentence ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links