Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Can you report rape without any evidence can the trial still go to court?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can you report rape without any evidence can the trial still go to court?

Let's say you were raped seven or eight months ago. You didn't see your attacker but kept having weird dreams about this symbol. One day you are at the pool with one of your friends and his boxer shorts falls a bit lower because of the water and you see the symbol that you kept dreaming of tattooed on him. You confront him about it and he smirks telling you that it you can't prove it...and insinuates that he was the one. You destroyed all physical evidence but you can swear on your grandmother's grave that it is him... you want to report it. What channels does it go through and is it possible that he may be tried? Even without any physical evidence and its basically his word against yours?
Additional Details
I don't care if I can't win it... but I just want to know if it can go to trial...

pray for sanityx
you can contact the police and report the rape, theyll figure out how to proceed from there on out. there may be more than one victem so there are ways around the no-evidence issue. Though if you have no proof, it would be hard to convict him if youre the only one, the best bet would be to report the rape to the police and let them decide how to proceed.

His Angel
Rating
No if you have no evidence there is nothing you can do. You can't have a trial based on he said, she said. Sorry!

Anthony
Rating
How you can you procced a case without any evidence?

Dr Zoidberg
You would have a very, very tough time getting the DA to accept charges on a case like this. Time lapse, no evidence, only a smirk and a dream...sounds like a TV show plot.

The ONLY way the guy could get convicted is if he owned up to it, signed a confession, and pleaded "Guilty".

daat_lady
u can but its gonna be hard to prove it because theres no evidence and the law is you have to go beyond unreasonable doubt

dogguy
Rating
It's a weak case, but it could still work. Based on what you have, there is not much that can be done, however, an investigation could reveal more evidence.

I've started with less and built solid cases that eventually resulted in confessions and convictions.

fr_chuck
Rating
You can always report it, It will be up to the DA in your area if they think they can win the case. Some may try, others won't try.

The fact he had a mark that you can remember is a good fact.
You may not include the weild dreams about it in your statement, only that you remember it, and saw it again on so and so.

ABC
Rating
of coarse you can report it. be prepared because it will be his word against yours and he did admit to it. I had a case a few months ago where the victim now 35 years old accused a family friend of molesting her when she was 17. he was found guilty and is serving 8 years.

Marissa
frankly, im not entirly sure.. but next time, keep any evidence, and be sure to contact the police. that can find him and put him in jail. maybe if you say you can describe the symbol descriptivly, he might be triald. but you may not win, since all your proof is gone.

Kristi
Rating
You can certainly report the rape-some states have Statute of LImitation Laws, but none are as short as 8 months, so technically you can report it and expect criminal charges to be filed. While there may not be any physical evidence, there are certainly other kinds of evidence the police can pursue. If you make an accusation, the first step will be for the police to question the alleged perpetrator. Alot will hinge on his account of what happened and/or his alibi. You need to be certain to report the conversation you had with him at the swimming pool. Since he said those things to you directly, it could be used as evidence and not pushed aside as "hearsay". The most important thing about reporting your rape so many months later is DETAILS! If you can, try to remember everything that happened: time, place, sounds, smells, are all VERY important and the police will want as many details as possible. Part of your question is confusing: did you remember in a dream that this happened or can you actually remember it? Those kinds of things will also be important. I would suggest writing your account of what happened and taking it with you when you go to report. This will give you time in a private place, and in the comfort of your surroundings to think about what happened and any details you might know. Best of luck in pursuing this! My prayers are with you and all rape victims!

?
YOU CAN , WITH PROPER EVIDENCE AND LIE DETECTOR TEST !

kate
Rating
In order for the prosecutor to take a case to trial he needs to feel it is viable . . .
For instance, after the attack, you went to the ER and they took a DNA sample . . . ( you did go for medical right ?) . . .
Witness testimony is loosing favor as many people have been falsely accused by witnesses and even victims. Lots of people even make up stories to get others in trouble, and this is unfortunate because honest people also suffer the repercussions of it.
The evidence that counts is the DNA and since you were raped, the DNA from the attack would be in the ER records and it is the evidence the prosecutor needs to take the case to trial.
I am sorry you are learning the hard way about this, some girls get attacked after being slipped amnesia drugs, but even though she can't remember who the next day, the doctors exam always gets the DNA and that hangs the rapist.

foxfire
Yes you can and should report it. It is much more difficult without any physical evidence, but often a victim goes home, showers, cleans up, etc and then calls the police several days later. They will still do a rape kit, unless the length of time was beyond the scope of forensic evidence, but they will know that.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can the police search my home if my name was given by someone busted with pot.?
basically this kid randomly spouted 3 names, one of which doesn't even smoke, to get his charges lightened. from what ive heard, he claims i am the one who sold this pot to him (completely ...

Do you think after the VT incident we need more gun control?

Anyone know who to call to report a dangerous driver?
does anyone know who i need to call to report a dangerous driver in Ireland or does anyone have a number please? ...

Why do the Americans have to use so many drugs to put someone to death, As a vet can do it with one injection?
to an ...

Is running from the cops for no reason a felony what is the crime called?
like seeing a car and for no reason start ...

Can my next door neighbour take photos of my propertywith out n mt consent?

If a Cop went thought a light with sirens and a car hits him will he be in fault?
Ok, lets say a cop car is going to a emergency with his light and sirens and he goes though a red light and a car hits the cop. Would the Cop or the Civilian be in ...

Does the general public take young Police Officers less serious than older Police Officers?

I have been victimized by corrupt police officers i would like to file a formal complaint and a lawsuit?
for example i just got out of jail a corrupt cop pulls me over to illegaly search and harrass me he already has my name on his computer knows i dont have any warrants but in order to harrass and ...

Would I get put in jail if I shot someone on the moon?

So if I remove a parking boot, and leave it on the steps of city hall, with a note, will I be seeing cops soon
So, lets say I have a boot on my car, and i remove it, and then place it on the steps of city hall, with a note saying "didn't feel like paying, got to much else to do, have a nice day"...

What a cop says "you can let me in of I will go and get a warrant and come back" How long does it take to get
the warrant?
Additional Details
typo the first word is supposed to be W...

If I lived next door to a cop who was throwing a loud bachelor party at 3AM, who do I call?
Yes, I was watching a certain movie. I won't say the name, but if you've seen the movie, you know what I'm talking about....

Should I become a cop?
People at work are always asking me to arrest them!

It's comforting to know that wrongdoers are eager to serve their punishment!
Additional Details
Who is that cat?...

A police officer came to my job to ? me PLEASE READ?
Today at work, a police detective came into my office to question me about some matter that he believes I have a part in. He has extremely rude, swearing at me non stop, constant threats and so on.......

Does anyone care if inmate's hang themselves?
I'm just asking....

Should police officers get better pay?

Can police break into a convicted felon's house without a search warrant.?
Takes place in Las Vegas, Nevada. The felon was charged for speeding and drug possession....

What is your duty to your Country ?

I need help please?????
My now ex bf claimed he filed a harassment report on me. The story in a nutshell..when i was w/ him, he mentally abused me, he made constant threats of suicide, only wanted my help, whenever I told ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links