Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Caught shoplifting, but no police involved?
Find answers to your legal question.

Caught shoplifting, but no police involved?

I was caught shoplifting at Sears, I am 17 from Oregon. It was my first offense, they had my mom come get me and sign 2 papers. They told me they weren't gonna call the cops and that I am banner from any Sears for 2 years unless I am with a parent. After that they let me go with my mom. They had my id and got a picture of a bracelet that i stole that was worth $9. Question, could this be on my record since the cops weren't even involved and would I be able to get a citizenship in US because i only have a green-card and I will apply for citizenship when i turn 18, which is in one month. And what are they likely to do other then fine me in mail? I appreciate your answers.

SomeOne
Rating
Hi, listen, this offense is not even a misdemeanor offense, it becomes a problem when you are trying to steal something that's worth over 200 dollars. this will most likely not be on you personal record. you will be OK. (good thing sears didn't call the police)

You will also be fine with your citizenship, (my friend was caught with narcotics "which is a MUCH larger offense" while he was a resident of the us, he was later on able to become a citizen of the United States.. Good luck,, and don't panic too much

Michael
Their not going to fine you, they let you go. It's not going to effect the citizenship process. Don't go back to Sears without a parent, if you're caught in there without one they can have you arrested for trespassing. Don't try ripping somebody else off because they might not be so nice.

jamie
Rating
do not worry if they did not contact police you will not have a record
if i were you i would go back to sears with a parent and talk to the people who caught you and thank them and apologize for doing this
just to enforce that what you did was wrong and are thankful for not getting police involved . a second apology would be nice and they would feel good that you did it

rhymingron
Rating
You weren't charged with anything, so there is nothing to go on your record.

Libertarian and proud of it
Rating
No, it can't go on your record. You would need to be found guilty of shoplifting in court, which you weren't. So your record is clean.

They will most likely just send you a fine. I advise paying it. Otherwise, they can press charges.

I also advise you to not stay with security the next time. They can't legally hold you there. Just leave and avoid the trouble.

Paul in San Diego
If the cops weren't involved, don't worry about it. The INS doesn't check with Sears when someone applies for citizenship.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What's the best way to help youth who have committed crimes...?
What is the best way to help youth who have committed crimes to become law abiding citizens and promote victim restoration?...

Could i go to prison for dealing?
I got caught a second time selling drugs. The first time i got communtity service but i dont know what will happen this time. I am 15 can i go to prison?...

What are the requirements that someone must meet in order to join a SWAT team?

How disgusting was the action of the police and social services to remove Mrs Betty Figg from her home?
What is going on with the police? They attack several protestors, possibly leading to one death, and now use a battering ram to take an 86 yr old woman back to a "care home"?...

Important question. I got charged with a knife and there was no fingerprints ?
they charged me today with no fingerprints and no evidence.
i did not know it was in my bag honestly
but they did not belive me and made me guilty
is there anyway i can appeal against ...

Will my cousin be put in a young offenders for "accesory" if I report my uncle?
I have 2 other questions explaining all the details.

but he nicked my moped and is now demanding/blackmailing my dad for £300 or we wont get the key back.

IF my cousin did know ...

Who was the guy that found Oregon?
answer quickly plz!...

Question about personal safety in my own apartment?
if someone were to come into my house and threatens me do i have the authority to use whatever force to get them out of my house if they dont leave or could i be arrested..?
or if they were ...

Can you have long hair to get in the police force?
Hey i live in australia, and my friend has hair past his shoulders and we all think to be in the police force, and to get in the police academy he is gonna have to get it cut or shaved, he argues ...

What happens when... MARijUANA?! Help !?
what happens when a child fourteen years old is caught with the posession of marijuana or smoking marijuana .

((weed))

what do the cops do?!

and in new jersey.

How much are lortab 5s worth on the street?

Additional Details
um its just a question I am not on drugs nor do I have any..............

Can you go to college if you have a criminal record?

For those people with a hefty speeding ticket?
i wasnt well and forgot my credit card at a returant. i got caught doing 71 in a 35. what can i do to get out of losing my license. ill pay the fine, i just need the license.
Additional Details<...

Is it worth suiciding yourself if the Police Force turns you down for imperfect eye vision?
It is my dream to serve and protect the community as a Police Officer. The thing is I am deeply concerned about my eyesight... obviously highway cops are always reading licence plates.

If ...

What GCSE's do you need to become a police officer?

Additional Details
Well what do i need to be a police officer?...

Do police miss the good ole days when they could beat people up without fearing a video of it will get out?
The internet and small recording devices are causing more cops to actually face charges for the crimes they commit these days rather than being able to have their department heads sweep it all under ...

Why do police think they are so deserving of respect but no one else is?
Personally I live by the golden rule, and I wouldn't try and assault someone and beat them up because they dress like a hippie or have darker skin than myself.
It doesn't matter if ...

From cadet to officer...?
I am a cadet now for the Maryland State Transportation Authority Police. I am wondering how easy/difficult it will be for me to go from cadet to officer when I'm 21. I'm 19 and I don't ...

If you apply at a police department and you dont get hired can you apply again at a later time?

Can I go to a bar while on probation if I don't drink?
I got arrested for a DUI a few months ago. I'm going to be on ARD with 12 months of probation. I understand that I'm not allowed to drink alcohol, and I heard that I was not allowed in bars ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links