Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Cop pulled me over. No ticket, took license?
Find answers to your legal question.

Cop pulled me over. No ticket, took license?

Okay a cop pulled me over tonight and asked to see my license and insurance and stuff so I showed him it. He gave me back my registration and insurance and took my license. I was really nervous so I kept saying I'm sorry and I won't speed again and blah blah blah. And I was like are you giving me a ticket? He was like no I'm not, but he took my license and a minute later he came back with it and gave me his card. Why did he take my license?! I didn't get a ticket, but just wondering what that was about. He gave me a card and my license back and was all you need to slow down, etc and have a good night. I'm confused..

Lt. Dan reborn
He just made sure your insurance and registration were current. He then went back and ran your license for warrants, suspension, etc.
After he found out that you were worthy of receiving a break rather than a ticket, he let you go. As for his card, not all agencies give warning tickets, some either give a ticket or nothing at all.. Then later when the person calls in with a question, complaint or a commendatory thing about the officer, with no warning ticket or anything it is daunting to try and figure out who stopped that person.
It may be department policy if you don't write a ticket, you give them your card if they need to know who stopped them.
I do know I got just about the same number of complaints for tickets and warnings for some reason. Very few actually, but some people weren't happy even when they got a break, go figure.

Shibi
Rating
He took your license to check you on his computer to make sure that you didn't have any outstanding tickets or warrants.

‚ô•Porsha‚ô•
Rating
To run a check to see if you had any outstanding warrants.

Michelle Zalbo
He was checking your license to make sure there were no outstanding warrants and that your license was not suspended.

Any Republican 2012
Trying to see if you had any warrants, checking your driving history, making sure it was a valid license and hadn't been suspended, etc.

P.S. You're lucky. A guy would have been given a ticket.

monkyboy29
Rating
He was checking your record.

As long as you got everything back who cares?

From the sounds of the card he was hitting on you heh.

fungusbrains1
Call the police station and ask.

Maggie MercuryMorrisonTownshend
Rating
Maybe he issued you a warning?? I don't really know. Maybe he took it and wrote down your phone number... either way, don't sweat it. Count your lucky stars you got off easy tonight!

Michael A
Rating
Maybe he was running your license on his computer or calling for a check on your license. Don't know why he would give you his card. He might give it to you if you asked for it.

blursd2
He took your license to make sure it was authentic and that you didn't have a criminal record, or any outstanding warrants. Its common procedure ... make sure who you're taking to is who they say they are, and that they're not wanted for anything.

You got lucky if he just gave you a warning ...

Kevy
Rating
haha first time being pulled over? he just wanted to run your info thru the databases to check for warrants and whatnot. as long as you got it back, its pretty normal.

California Street Cop
Rating
He just checked to make sure your registration and insurance was valid. He then ran you out to check for a valid driver's license and if you have any warrants. The business card serves as a receipt for the car stop in the event you want to lodge a complaint or need to show your boss why you were late.

√†¬ģ?Lil Bitch√†¬ģ? (a.k.a. √°?¬¶Snazzlefrazz√°?¬¶)
Rating
I ran your information to make sure you didn't have any outstanding warrants. He let you by with a verbal warning, be grateful.

sikn802
Rating
they do this so that if people try to run they have no choice but to leave it behind, giving the officer excellant proof and allowing him to check the card easily, they don't want mto memorise the number everytime they pull someone over just to go and type it in....

some_pimp2005
Rating
He probly just ran your license. Dunno bout the card, I'd have to know what it said on it. I've been pulled over twice they take your license and run your name to make sure it comes up clean and all that good stuff. I've never recieved any kind of "card" from them though.

CGIV76
It's truly amazing. People complain when they get a ticket, and question it when they don't. The Officer did his job, and at his discretion, gave you a break. If it will make you feel any better, go into the station, and demand that you receive a citation.

Michael N
Rating
I'm with you up to the point where you said "he gave you his card". He checked your registration to see if the car was properly registered. He made sue you had insurance. He ran a check on your license to check your driving background & to see if you had any outstanding warrants. BUT if he gave you his personal card... that one would worry me a little. If by any chance the same cop stops you again... Well I think you get my drift.

.:Miss. Dawkins:.
He let you off with a warning! He took your license to run your license number to see if you had any warrants or other tickets. It's nothing to worry about!!

Wish2Travel
He ran out your information to make you sure 2 things:

1) You're liscense is valid and you were not driving while suspended or revoked which is against the law.

2) You have no outstanding warrants. Make sure you are not wanted in that state or any other for commiting a crime and fleeing.

Brown_Eyed_Girl
Rating
I am not clear on the question...Did you ever receive your license back, or did he keep them? If he kept them than you should call the police station he probably just forgot to give them to you or something. If he gave them back, that is normal...They always look at your license and run the number to see if you have any warrants out for your arrest or something. They do this rather you are getting a ticket, a warning, or nothing.

Melissaaaaa<3
Rating
same thing happened to me... IDK WHY?!?!

2zero9
Rating
He needed to see it better in the car with his erm...pants down... and get down your information to see if its real.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Which Do You Think Is Worse?
Which Way Is The Worst Way To Die Out Of These?
Being Beheaded, Getting The Electric Chair, Or Being Gased With Poison Gas?...

Since when did it become so popular to hate your local Police Official?
I'm feeling pretty mean today, especially after reading all the hate and anger directed against those who have taken an oath to serve and protect you. I know it comes with the territory of the ...

What if I commit crime before I go on vacation?
I mean supossedly hypothetically I comited a crime and then I left for vacation to like for say Asia, who is gonna get me?...

I'm in Mexico for vacation and 2 yrs ago i wrote bad checks im coming back to US, will i get arrested?
i know i have a misdemeanor warrant for the bad check, i want to take care of it but im afraid i will get arrested crossing the border....

OK, you're in a movie gunfight, what pistol would you pick and why?
Mine would be one of the following:

Para Ordnance p-14 (.45)
Sig 226 .40S&W
Sig 226 or 229 in .357 Sig
FN Five-SeveN
Smith and Wesson 327 (eight shot, .357 revolver)...

Can one be committed to peace even while supporting war?

Can you stop someone taking you to court?
My ex is obsessed with making my life hell and has taken me to court EVERY YEAR since we split - wasting the courts time and upsetting the children each time. He has now sent me a letter saying he is ...

Driving while using a mobile phone?
if you see some-one driving & using mobile phone at same time, then report it to the police they'd take you serious & do sometime about it
Additional Details
so if everyone ...

Should hanging or the electric chair be brought back for murderers and the birch for muggers, burglars etc?

I keep stealing from shops?
Every time I go out shopping I steal things ie: dvd's, cd's, cloths ect ect, I am currently working as a special contstable for the met police and I am very worried I will get caught. The ...

Why are undercover policemen so rude?

Some of my best friends do drugs and i am a Police cadet and i wanna turn them in but at the same time the
i could always find out who they get the drugs from before i tell anyone what should i do
Additional Details
hey i am just trying To keep drugs out my town and out of my ...

Do I have a case for an illegal search of my vehicle?
Ok so a week ago my friend and I were sitting in my car down the street from her house. After an hour or so two cop cars pull up behind mine. One officer comes up and asks us basic questions like ...

I was caught by police for drunk driving they take my blood test?
i want to know that if the reading comes less than 85mg according to uk law wthat they will do and if more than 85 whhat will happen or they will again arrest me and what is the panelty becase i work ...

Can an officer stop you for saying something?
i was walking home last night and i was talking to my friend next to me about the saying "don't bring a knife to a gun fight". unfortunately an off duty police overheard me from about 2...

What is the best solution to get rid of firearms/guns?

Can a Police officer arrest you for pushing him.?

What do you do if you find your (UK) passport right after reporting it lost to police?

Will the police ever support the victims of crime?
Communities lost in yob violence and fear. Gun crime, yob-culture and what are the police doing about it?
http://tamesidecitizen.b...

Im going to jail for 3 years what do i do if i get raped?
im going to jail for 3 years , and i dont wanna get raped by a blackguy what should i do if i get raped?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links