Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Cops or firemen, who has the most dangerous job?
Find answers to your legal question.

Cops or firemen, who has the most dangerous job?

marionso14
Rating
I am a fire fighter and sheriff deputy. The only reason i say police officers jobs are more dangerous is because we have to be cautious even when we not on a call. gang bangers target us when we not workin at our home also.

curious_59
Really I think they are both equal as to being dangerous. A cop puts his life on the line everytime he investigates a crime. And a fireman puts his life on the line everytime he fights a fire.

hdean45
Rating
It used to be the Firefighter and it probably still is. More firefighters die in the line of duty than police officers the reason being that they die of heart attacks . They push their bodies beyond normal limits every time they face the beast and some times it's one time too many.
Retired firefighter.

Chris C
Rating
Fire behaves in a certain way. It always burns upwards, you know at what point it will flashover. Firemen know at what temperature certain materials and chemicals will explode at. If there is no threat to life firemen don't have to enter a burning structure.

Police officers on the other hand deal with the most dangerous animals of all. The human being. Unpredictable, savage in nature, brutal and cunning.

Picture this scenario if you will. A cop goes into a grocery store for a bottle of water. Standing in line in front of the officer is a man that just committed a robbery and killed his victim. The police officer has no way of knowing this yet the criminal is convinced that the cop is on to him. In an effort to avoid capture the perp gets the jump on the cop never giving him a chance. All the cop wanted was a bottle of water.

Fireman risk their lives to on a situational basis.
Cops risk their lives just by putting on the uniform.

TiredTrucker
Rating
I don't know, but I think I'd rather be a fireman than a cop. I would never want to be a cop and have to deal with the people they have to deal with on a daily basis.

Crazy lady
firemen because a fire is really unpredictable.

taters_0
Rating
I've pondered this quite a bit; here's my take on it.

Firefighters (there are women doing this ya know) face more actual or "known" dangers and threats. There is no question in anyone's mind that the building in on fire when smoke and flames are coming out of it.

Law enforcement officers (LEOs) face more potential or "unknown" dangers and threats. LEOs never know if they are going to get into a gun fight on their next traffic stop or if they'll be shot at when they arrive at an alarm call. The LEO has to be constantly on guard, even if things feel safe or the person is being compliant.

While firefighers face more actual dangers, there aren't as many firefighters killed in the line of duty as LEOs since the 1970s (with very few years being exceptions). Because of psychological stress of staying alert and the adrenaline rushes that LEOs have to deal with; police work is probably more emotionally stressful than firefighting. Firefighting is more phsyically demanding than police work so firefighters have more physical stress from carrying heavy gear and draggin heay fire hoses up flights of stairs and carrying injured people.

Side Note:
Firefighters saw a dramatic change in how they do business starting in the 1970s with the adoption of the Incident Command System that helps to ensure firefighters don't get left behind or fail to be notified when it's time to evacuate.

LEOs saw a drop in line of duty deaths with the widespread use of soft body armor.

Stephen K
Hard to say.

Cops get shot at.

Well, so do some fireman

☺☻♥♦♣♠•◘○
Rating
Both are the most dangerous job.

Aloha
Rating
Depends on the city.

Detroit , Chicago, NYC, L.A.= Police Officers have more dangerous jobs.

Basically anywhere else, it's more dangerous to be a fire fighter. (Women fight fires too and save millions of lives)

Marilolli
Rating
cops.
Dangers faced by officers include death (people with guns, traffic, high speed chases), increased risk of infectious diseases, increased risk of physical injury, and the potential for emotional disorder due to both the high stress and inherently adversarial nature of police work

lpdhcdh
Rating
Its hard to say. Depends on lots of things. like location, department, training etc.

I'm a cop, but respect the work firefighters do and the sacrifices they make.

CGIV76
Rating
They both have unique and inherent dangers. Comparing them is like apples and oranges.
I have the utmost respect for firefighters (male & female) and the work they do. It's hard, intensely physical, and often terrifying.
So is police work. Just in a different way.

B J
I would say cops, because the police man could be targeted any time maybe even while he's not aware of it , but firemen at least know when the danger begins and stop.

Brenda P
Rating
Equally dangerous in different ways.

Oklahoman
I'd say it is an even match. Both are dangerous in their own respects. Both can kill the officer, the person they are protecting / rescuing, and/or cause property damage.

netjr
Firemen,

Police officers can train to avoid many of the pitfalls that face them but its harder for firemen. Statistics also bear out that firemen are killed more often then police officers (though this has changed in the last 20 years thanks to training).

islandhottie7
Rating
Firemen by far !

Robert S
Rating
Many cops are on the scene anyway, but. How many firemen have to make life/death decisions. They may be pretty close as far a danger goes. Likelihood of dying in explosion or fire vs. likelihood of getting shot... The intent of shooting is usually death. In a fire, there is no conscience. No intent to kill. A fireman can choose to enter a burning building or not to. A cop may not have the decision to face an armed assailant or not. He is expected to do so.

Between the two, clearly cops have the most stressful job. Maybe not daily. But the job covers the widest range on the stress spectrum.

music man
Rating
fireman

Logic316
Neither.
The likelihood of either a cop or a fireman getting killed on the job is statistically quite low. They never even made it to the top 10 world's most dangerous jobs. A commercial fisherman, truck driver, or even a garbageman is far more likely to get killed on the job.

MOST LIFE THREATENING JOBS:

Fishers and related fishing workers
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 118.4
Average salary: $29,000 per year

Logging workers
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 92.9
Average salary: $31,290 per year

Aircraft pilots and flight engineers
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 66.9
Average salary: $135,040

Structural iron and steel workers
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 55.6
Average salary: $43,540

Refuse and recyclable material collectors
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 43.8
Average salary: $30,160

Farmers and ranchers
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 41.1
Average salary: $39,720

Electrical power-line installers and repairers
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 32.7
Average salary: $49,200

Truck drivers
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 29.1
Average salary: $35,460 (for heavy or tractor-trailer drivers)

Miscellaneous agricultural workers
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 23.2
Average salary: $24,140

Construction laborers
Fatality rate (per 100,000 workers): 22.7
Average salary: $29,050

tweed801
that's easy firemen did you forget 9-11

As Real As It Gets
Rating
Fire Police!

madpol1
Neither. Both run pretty substantial risks, but murder and accident statistics show that the most dangerous job is still driving a cab. With seasonal employment as a King Crab fisherman running a close second.

There is some overlap. Many New York cops moonlight as cab drivers and sometimes get into gun battles with each other over fender benders.

Maxwell Richardson
Definitely firemen. A fireman risks life and death on a daily basis while policemen usually hand out parking tickets and sometimes come across someone acting irrationally. Although you could argue that firemen are more betterly protected against fire than policemen are against criminals, I would say fire is more unpredictable than a man in crisis.

Dave
How many fire trucks do you see outside doughnut shops?
I think that pretty well sums this up.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Here's a joke, please star if you like it.?
A policeman pulled a car over and told the driver he had won $5000 dollars in the seatbelt competition. "What are you going to do with the money?" asked the policeman. "Well, I guess I&...

Should we make 9/11 a National Holiday?
i was thinking it would be a good idea, we could call it "national public service day" in honor of all the police officers and fire people who sacrificed everything. I know it is not ...

Help, I don't want to be a criminal?! :(?
Ok. They sent something saying warrant for arrest issued because of unpaid ticket. So do I pay the ticket, or now I have to pay bail AND ticket? Im confused about this because I was never stupid ...

Is it now illegal to smoke whilst driving?

Parked while drunk?
My brother was driving home last night and relized he was a little drunk and pulled oer to the side of the road to sleep it off. He left the car on and it was after mid night. One of the neighbors on ...

Are you for or against the death penalty ?
And what are your argument ?...

Do you have a police record................?
and what for please?...

Is it illegal to wear a Halloween mask into a bank? I just like to wear them. Can they stop me?

Americans and their guns?
What type of gun would you recommend for self protection in the city?...

My daughter's ex boyfriend texted my daughtersaying. You're all toast, and you know it?
is this a threat legally, because this idiot is pretty well stalking not only her but our whole family and we would really like to get a restraining order but we need proof of the threats or ...

What should i do about this bloke?
theres this bloke who lives across from me hes a paedophile, everyday he sits in the window naked especially when school finishes, as soon as theres kids walking past he flashes ive told the police ...

In a polce car chase, could police cars keep up with sports motorcycles?
They run the quarter in about 10 seconds, how would police handle such a situation?...

Certain superstore called me a thief and I prove them wrong. What can I do against them?
A superstore claimed a laptop that I bought there two months ago as stolen. The police went to my classroom and made me go with them because I was using the laptop right there and they traced the ...

Why do cops speed?
Maybe I'm generalizing, but I've noticed that a lot of them speed. I go maybe 5-10 miles over the limit, and they always seem to zoom right by me. And no, I don't slow down when I see ...

If a woman has you at point blank gun point, does the rule "not allowed to hit a woman" still apply?
Just think, that she has you on point blank gun point. Your life is at stake, would you still obey that law? I don't think so, I doubt anyone would. So if you were to hit her in the face and ...

Should We Bring Back The Death Penalty?
This is my RS homework... More answers on the against side would be great... But any opinions are great!!
Thanks!...

Please any advice needed.. Major problems with a tenant....?
i am living in an apt. building, here in cleveland ohio and i have a neighbor that is constantly harrassing me and my family.. she has called my daughter names and uses racial slurs.. yesterday she ...

If someone breaks the law, should the officer be required to let them go if they have a sad story?
Say someone ran a stopsign - and the person said "Yeah, I did it, but I gotta go somewhere"? Should the officer let them go?
At what point do we let people with a sad story go? How ...

How are we suppose to be "law abiding citizens", in the U.S. when we are never taught 'laws' in school?

Additional Details
Good answers so far, but there are thousands of them. not just a few, nor does the 10 comm cover ...

Why would a cop ask for a passengers ID?
Why would a cop ask for a passengers ID? I got pulled over about an hour ago (it was at like 11:15pm) and the cop asked my friend for their ID. I'm 17 years old, have had my license for almost a ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, August 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links