Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Do i have to go to court for a ticket?
Find answers to your legal question.

Do i have to go to court for a ticket?

I got a ticket for not wearing a seat belt yesterday. the court date is marked for june first.. if i pay the ticket before the court date do i still have to go or can i just leave it alone?

James R
Rating
If there is a fine printed on the citation then you can pay for it. If there is then there should be payment options on the back on how to pay for it.

The other option is to go to court, where it could be retired or dismissed.

jerimiah
Rating
Read the ticket if it legally done then it should appear like a summons and advise you as how to plea (make yourself guilty and pay the fine) but be prepared for the unforeseen consequences. I tell everyone to go to court. It is the only way to represent yourself and get the facts. Or lastly you could simply call the local court or DMV and they can give you the Information you need to make the right choice.

harley_cowgirl_20
If you pay the ticket, you don't have to go. If you go to fight the ticket to get it reduced then you do.

Infamous
If you are 18 or older, you can pay the ticket and be done with it, you may even have the option of going to violators school. If you do, the county court will mail you a brochure once they receive your payment.

If you do not pay it by your court date, or you are a minor, you must go to the court date or a warrant will be issued for your arrest for failure to appear.

If you wish to go to court, but the court date is not good for you, you can call the courthouse and request to extend the date. I did this myself, for a speeding ticket because I could not afford to pay it off at that time, they extended it 2 months and I got it paid off within the first month of extention.

Eric F
Rating
if u pay before then you usually don't have to appear.

Andy G {Join The Resistance}
Most states recognize not wearing a seat belt a citation or infraction. If you go to the court to pay for the ticket you are still showing up to court and pleading guilty to the charges as you are paying your ticket. This could increase your insurance premium and affect your driving record. You could try speaking with the prosecutor about pleading it down or you could hire a traffic attorney to see if he/she could find a way to dismiss the charges.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is being a female cop less feminine than any other job?
I am currently in my second year of college and I have always wanted to be in law enforcement (be a cop) I was wondering after my four years do I still have to go to the police academy? Another ...

I stole alchohol from a supermarket what do ya reckon will happen?
it was about 6 cans and when i was younger(15) im 18 now, i was caught robbin buckfast if this goes to court what should i do,and can i get a ...

Florida Sheriff's Office: what can you tell me about them?
Do I have to go to a police academy? Is it a good job in your opinion? What other things should I know?...

What are different variations of a controlled buy? Do you always have to use marked bills?
One of my buddies got nailed for selling weed and the police report mentions they did a controlled buy.

The articulation mentions how they had an informant go inside and bring the weed ...

My wife wants us to move to Chicago...What are the gun laws there?

Additional Details
thanks for the answers. I don't plan on concealed carry, or anything, but I'd heard some crazy rumors that you had to have some insane $1000000 liability ...

A guy brought a gun too school and got caught what kind of trouble can he get in?
He is 17 turning 18 next month the gun was a p .25 pistol and it was unloaded and the cops found it in class during a random search what can he be fined and how much juvi/ prison time? It was a ...

Is the gadfather the head of one mob family or all the familes?

Is it illegal to put a rat trap in your car?
My neighbor has had problems with kids breaking into his truck.

He put a loaded rat trap on the floor of his truck and a paper towel over it - "to catch a rat." Two nights later,...

What do motion 16, ORDER, GRAND JURY TESTIMONY in a maryland court room mean please help.?
Motion: 16
Docket Text: ORDER OF COURT (BERNARD, J.) FOR GRAND JURY TESTIMONY THAT THE TESTIMONY OF EACH WITNESS TAKEN IN THIS CASE BE RECORDED AND TRANSCRIBED WITH COST TO BE PAID BY THE DEFE...

Can criminal justice degree from england be good for america's criminal justic?
i'm in new jersey right now and i have another year for associate in criminal justice and i want to do my bachelor in england. is there anyway i can do bachelor in england and come back to ...

If I had a sheriff dept go out and do a welfare check, and they did not see that person can they get in troubl?
I had sheriff go out to check on my mom, because I had a feeling something was not right, so they told me everything was good, and then the next day she was put in the hospital, can they get in ...

I have a bench warrant?
okay so when i 1st got in trouble i got charged for shoplifting and so they gave me community service and i had to go to some little class at that time my dad was in the hospice passing away he ...

How to cancel a unfair parking fine?
about 3 week ago, I parked my car in a 5 mins. loading zoon,and then I went to buy a drink in a dairy, when I came out, one of citycouncil tried to give me a parking fine, but I found out ...

How can i find a case number of a specific police report and the actual report?
I am looking into buying a car and the current owner said it had been in a small front bumper fender bender and carfax said that it had been in an "accident," which is not enough ...

Will having dental braces be a problem if I want to be a police officer?
Just wondering since you can't go to Army BCT with braces...

Will having braces stop a police department from sending me to BLET?...

Have you ever been chased by the police only to double back and stealthily follow them?
I have used this tactic quite a few times, and it has always worked. I am older now and live somewhere that allows me to smoke marijuana medically so I don't have to run from the police anymore, ...

What's it like being a cop or csi?
I love all the law and order and CSI and FBI shows and i recently thought it might be fun to be a cop or CSI when im older. It seems like a really good job because you get to help people and it ...

Can I have him arrested?
Okay, there's this guy who I used to kind of date back in high school, but we've lost touch over the years (we're in university now). He was very resentful because I was the one who ...

Locating a CMAA badge?
I was just appointed as CMAA at my reserve center. There has not been any CMAA badges there before. Is this something I have to special order or is there an option to buy this outright. I assume ...

Can you get arrested if you drink with people under 21 but your 21?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links