Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Do police officers have to tell you that they are a police officer when you ask them?
Find answers to your legal question.

Do police officers have to tell you that they are a police officer when you ask them?

I have always heard that police officers have to come up front about being a police officer when asked. Is that true or is that a myth that i have always heard?

Jack
It's a myth.
Imagine an undercover vice officer having to "blow" his cover whenever he's asked. That would make it pretty easy for the bad guys.......unless you live in Shangri la like the next responder.

Lucky
Rating
No

beckychr007
No they do not. For example if they are working undercover they certainly would not.

chrisarea_99
Rating
unless they are undercover and in the middle of a bust or something like that then yes they do have to tell you especially if they are trying to arrest you or violate your rights

saturn
No

Mr. Wizard
Legit plain clothes police officers, by professional legal standards, routinely identify themselves as such when they approach you for questioning or other police business. You can ask to see some photo identification of who they are.

Eagle
that's a myth. They can also lie about evidence they supposedly collected from a crime scene.

SUPERSTAR X
Rating
Not true at all. They only need to identify themselves in the performance of their duties..

Michael R
If they are going to arrest you then yes they have to announce their authority, but if they are undercover they do not have to tell you. Officers that go deep undercover can't tell everybody who asks them if they are cops because they would not last very long.

Ash Anne
In the state of Arkansas, yes, they have to tell you UNLESS they're undercover.

?
In most cases the real question has to do with the admissibility of any evidence gained from their deception. It would all be admissible. Now there is another side of the issue. If an undercover officer is assaulted the person can not be charged with assaulting a police officer because they did not know that the person was a police officer. In other word the officer will lose any special privilege of benefit if he is not identifiable as a police officer.

ninersrgr8
Rating
I would assume you are talking about an undercover peace officer. In this case the officer would not say Yes or No they would probably answer your question with another question. In certain situations I would assume that they could legally lie to you to protect themselves or others from harm, like a drug sting, etc.

Johnathan
Rating
No. Why would you ask someone that you don't know that's a cop if he is a cop? They ask more questions than they answer. Stop being so parinoid, they are not out to get you. Maybe.

KR
No----if they are in a sting----they do not

If they are in uniform --it is self-explanatory

If they are behind you with lights and sirens on---they dont have
to YELL anything out their windows, but you really should stop
your car anyways, at the NEAREST PLACE, and not where you
think it is best....(hate that answer)

IF you are a female and the car is unmarked and you are not sure, use your cell phone--call 911 and tell dispatch you are not going to stop, and they will tell you if there is an unmarked vehicle in the vicinity and if it is safe to stop---if it is not--then go to the nearest lighted exit and SCREAM LIKE A BANSHEE! YOU DO NOT HAVE TO STOP! Otherwise--stop and ask for ID.

hmm--did I cover it all.....??? I think so..also I think we can all tell
who the cops are....they all seem to have uniforms and have short hair and drive with red and blues over their cars (impalas and crown vics)

PS--if they are in a sting and you are in a position to BE IN A STING----you should REALLY be worried about WHY you are asking this question.......so ignore all this stuff inbetween....

George K
No they don't have to tell you.

helo pilot cfi
Rating
if you are questioned and not a participant of a sting operation they have to identify themselves with credentails or its entrapment

okchico
No they do not. Deception is a great way to make good arrests... nothing is more satisfying then knocking on a door and telling the person on the other side you are the pizza delivery guy or the gas shut off guy and then serving a warrant. It's also very satisfying to be in plain clothes and making a drug sale/buy and then having a swarm of plain clothes officers arrest the person who sold or bought. If someone walks up to you and begins interrogating you and you ask it is in the officers best interest to tell you he's a cop / detective or he might get a left hook or a kick to the shin but deceiving a person until the moment you take them into custody is good police buisness in any state.

Star of Fla
How to tell if someone is a cop cause they DO NOT have to tell you! 1 They try to get to close too fast! 2 They ask way to many questions that no one in their right mind would ask! 3 Something about them is just not right! 4 The person who introduces them to you just got in trouble. 5 The person who introduces them to you is pouring sweat! 6 You never see them with their family.

Number1son
myth

tescabar
hell no, how you gonna prove that they didn't? they are not saints.

Mike
No.

Don K
No they don't have to tell you anything. They are so scared of the public around here they yell at people and just start shooting. If you get out of your car when you get pulled over for speeding you will see a cop hide behind his car door and pull a gun on you and start yelling.

I have no idea what has gotten in these crazy bas tards in Arkansas but they are going nuts.

One shot out a truck window because the mexican would not get out and he said his gun just went off when he hit the window with it. (yeah right). The cop had no problems over this. then a retarded guy was shot dead because he was walking down the side of the road acting funny (duh) and when he did not understand what was going on when the cop pulled the gun and started yelling at him he shot the poor guy in the head. This cop retired but got away with it..

Nine cops shot a bumb in a local park in Fayetteville arkansas. All emptyed their guns in him. .Never was nothing done over that.. Then a resterant owner was pissed off and 2 cops shot him to death.

I would say do as you are told very quickly or die is the game now days.

so no they don't have to tell you nothing.

Warren D
Rating
I would think an undercover officer might be justified in not giving a truthful answer in this situation.

john j
Rating
if asked yes cause its some form of intrapment other wise. can not threaten you either

pyt_tlc
Rating
yes they do!!!!!!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What are good gifts to send a prisoner?
I want to send something to my sister-in-law for Christmas and New Years....

Anyone have an old man stalker and you called the police?
He is a stranger, however I know where he lives etc, from notes he leaves me. He has been stalking me for 5 years. I wont get into details. I will just get to the point. Has any of you called the ...

Are we doing the right thing? A law enforcement perspective would be appreciated.?
My step-son ( who will turn 18 in a few months) has been in jail ( adult not juvenile) for 25 days now. He was arrested after his mother pressed charges against him for stealing money from her and ...

Do barcodes on alcohol bottles keep records of who purchased it?
if you buy alcohol and give it to a minor and that minor is later caught, can authorities know who purchased the bottle originally buy scanning the barcode? this is just to settle a bet with a ...

Can I Prosecute?
In a pub last week, one lad attacked another and elbowed me in the process, giving me a black eye. The police took statements and the lad was to be charged with assaulting the other lad. However, ...

How do drugs get into prisons and what can be done to stop this?

If an individual placed nails under the tyres of a parked car,with what could they be charged?

Why do so many people try to fight speeding tickets?
When they are 100% guilty. Like they try to fight the ticket and get off on a technicality, For example, thinking they can fight the ticket because the police officer wrote the wrong date, or time, ...

Does anyone think the Portuguese Police are trying?
to frame the Mc Canns for the murder of wee Maddie....

What is a citizen's arrest?

What crimes deserve corporal punishment?

The police confiscated kegs and my tap from a party. Can I retrieve these items from the police station?

Should UK police carry firearms?
Really I think they should and be given powers to use them on judgement. When a copper wants to help you against 15+ chav punks beating and stabbing you. He needs a firearm not just a metal stick. S...

What happens if i get stop by the cops?
hello

i own and drive a 1990 Dodge Omni and today i was driveing and the mulffer fell off the car so i stoped and picked it up i called the mulffer shop and they told me they can't ...

What's realistically the best way to make a complaint about a policeman in the UK?
I have a problem with a county police force in the South-East.Where exactly should I do?Who is the best place to go for advice/help?...

Should the use of semi-automatic army style guns be restricted and outlawed?
Should the big ak-47's etc be outlawed among citizens who do not work under the law?...

The police broke the door down and arrested a friend. Can his landlord insist he pays for it to be repaired?
My friend was innocent and no charges were brought, but his landlord still wants him to pay for it. Are they really within their rights to ask him to do so?
Additional Details
My friends ...

Do traffic police have to wear there hats?? especially when pulling someone over..?
i was pulled over recently for a minor traffic offence and have to go to court, i was told that seen as the officer was by himself and not wearing a hat i could get it chucked out of court, was just ...

Why Do The Prisoners Have To Sit So Long On Death Row?
While i'm not defending the horrendous acts they are accused of committing, I was wondering why it takes so long to execute death row inmates? I am not saying they should be killed off ...

How many of you carry some type of protection with you?
Whether it be a pocket-knife, pepper spray or even a gun in your car or on you...how many people carry weapons for personal protection on a daily basis? I carry a knife on me all the time, not so ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, April 18, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links