Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Do you believe that a cop would lie under oath in court in order to obtain a conviction?
Find answers to your legal question.

Do you believe that a cop would lie under oath in court in order to obtain a conviction?

dollars2burn4u
Not just yes ,But hell yes they do every day .But its as much the fault of our judges as it is cops .Briscoe vs Lahue gives complete immunity for any liability to prosecutors and cops for lying in court ..Judges were to be impartial and make sure that one side had no more ,or less advantage than the other in court .Judges were to keep govt. inside a fence to protect people from tyranny and oppression .Justice is (an impartial judgment based on truth fact and reason ) .The fact that they don't tell juries that they have a right to judge the law as well as the fact . Plus the fact that they knowingly let police lie. Many times charging the defendant with perjury for disputing police statements .Obviously is not impartial or based on truth . I think 200 people on death row we were going to execute until DNA tests proved their innocence would clearly indicate this .

jimmyjohn
Most cops would not, but there are a large group that would. The public wants honest cops, and cops are sworn to a code of ethics (but then again so are lawyers).

I know that most juries will not take a cops word for something anymore....there must be witness testimony and/or solid evidence.

smokey
Rating
Yes some of them will. The bad ones will but a anest cop will not.

albinopolarbear
I've seen it happen before, just because a person is a cop doesn't mean they are going to obey the laws or anything like that. Some cops would do anything for a conviction, even if it isn't the right person, and others obey the rules and try their best to legally convict the correct person. It all depends on the person.

Jeff A
Sorry to say it happens everyday. Cops are people too with their own agendas and problems.

Some do it so often they can't tell the truth anymore.

Lottalady
absolutely, in fact it is very common practice, lie to get a conviction to get someone off the streets, it is quite the norm

Bob G
Rating
Yes. Probably not all cops, but enough for it to be an issue. There's even a term for it; "Testilying".

SilverPhoenix
Rating
The way things are right now? Absolutely!!!!

georihg g
Rating
yes they would, being a cop doesn't make you any different from being a person. regardless if they are supposed to be "truthful" any normal person who dislikes someone for whatever reason will lie to get a person in trouble, unfortunatly, even if it's not the truth. a cop is the same way, i've seen it here out in new jersey many times

New Moon
yea..i think so

uuummk
Rating
yes

dÆ’
only a bad one

dude0795
Unfortunately yes. But not all cops. Good ones don't have to, they do it right and the evidence speaks for itself.

Amy.
yup i belive that!!

Gianna M
Rating
OH HELL YES!!!!

Arbee
Rating
I know it for certain.

Bullfrog21
Rating
Will sheep eat grass. Do bears often live in the forest.

r_77_p
Some will.

Elizabeth M
I think most would not. True, there are bad apples in any part of life, but honestly, why would a cop lie just to get a conviction? Doesn't make sense to me. If it doesn't help them personally, financially, whatever, why would they?!! It's not a personal thing to them. It's a job.

We all know a criminal would lie to get out of a conviction though!

chilanga26lasvegas
Rating
We are all humans, I am sure some of them might.

Damask Rose
Rating
100% yes!

johN p. aka-Hey you.
Yes. Did you ever hear about the scandal in the LAPD. Also in New York several years ago. In fact, there have been movies made of both of them. The LA one is called "Cellular", I think that's the full name. Kim Basinger is in it. The NY story is called Serpico, if I remember correctly.

free_eagle716
Rating
Without question some would.

crazygumby34
Is it possible? Of course. But you may want to ask yourself a question... What do they get out of it? By a police officer lying on the stand, he or she is risking felony purgery charges if caught. Why? So that someone can get a speeding ticket? So that some dirt bag drug dealer can get 30 days in jail? To answer your question: Yes, its possible for cops to lie under oath, but do you really think that the police officer on the stand is going to risk his or her freedom, let alone career, to put somebody in jail. I seriously doubt they care that much, and anyone who disagrees is probably just bitter because they have been caught speeding, smoking crack, or slapping their spouses around.

friendlycitizen
Absolutely police lie in order to get a conviction. I have seen it many times in many courts throughout the state of NJ.

Taras_Ukrainian
i was wrongfully impounded by Washington State Patrol trooper Dustin Drout Badge# 433. Today 01/14/11 i had court to get impound fee back and he came out and lied Under Oath about my distance from DNR Gate which i hunt. i was at least 10 yards from gate out of way BUT he, the dirt bag that he is said i was less then 15ft from it. i heard about Pigs lying under oath BUT i finally experienced it personally.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If cop pulls me over & i give them no licence but false name.how can they check this?
can they go back to their car and check photo or view photo licence of the person who owns the false name i gave?...

I know who it was but how do i prove it?
someone in my office has been taking my atm card from my bag and taking cash from the atm. They must have seen me put my pin in at some point. Now, there is no cctv evidence as its been going on a ...

Why should private citizen own a gun?
well, this is the topic I am writting about for my class,...

If you are on probation for dui and u get a piss test and it comes out that you have smoked weed is it a viola
my mom is worried that she will go to jail bc she has a piss test ...

Im having trouble with my neighbour and her stupid noisey aggresive odg?
it constantly barks at my disabled daughter,causing her to run in screaming with fera. she has autism so she is very noise sensative. i have asked her several times to sort it out. have infomed my ...

If a police officer tells you to stop and you run..........?
can they just shoot you and say they thought they saw a weapon?...

Is it time to legalise the low-risk drugs such as cannabis and ecstacy?
Statistically, many more people are killed by paracetemol, not to mention the devastation to lives, families and careers caused by alcohol....

Should marijuana be legalized????would it be a good idea???

Are there any instances that you would TOTALLY be FOR the death penalty?
1. Serial Killers - Jeffrey Dahmer?
2. Cop killers?
3. Serial Rapists?
4. Serial child molesters and rapists?
5. Terrorists?

I do not support the death penalty ...

Can i get arrested for marijunna if it aint mine?
Cops found weed in my car but it wasnt ...

Do you think we should be able to bear arms for our own security and safety i would feel safer in my home?
as i have no confidence in the british police force. i have to say that if that was possible, i would have to meet certain criteria ie no criminal record and i would be obliged to register any fire ...

Someone stole $900 in items from me???
I went to work today and came back and find that my ipod, sidekick3, DG sunglasses and all my new cologne that wasnt opened is gone.. Ive called the pigs and they asked if i had evidence and i said ...

Do you think britains uniformed police are a disgrace ?
A total of 145 people have come forward to criticise the actions of officers from several forces during two days of demonstrations. This of course is in connection with their brutality and assaults. D...

Would a petty crime i commited 22 years ago stop me from getting a job in airport security?
im 46 now and would be gutted if something i did all those years ago held me back. i have to complete a dept of transport vetting form.
Additional Details
it will mean a crb check and ...

Should Al Sharpton be held criminally responsible?
Al Sharpton recently threatened to "close this city down" in response to the acquittals of the NYPD officers.: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ People are already taking to ...

How come they dont do lie detector test to solve every criminal that says they are innocent?
i think that it would hurry things up to get criminals in jail alot faster. cause i havent heard of anyone being able to .fool it. have you?...

My neighbor plays with himself in front of his bedroom window...?
Twice in the past 2 weeks I have walked by my neighbor's house and he is sitting in front of his window with the blinds all the way open, completely naked, playing with himself. He is an adult ...

Human experiments? Or the death penalty?
I am a person who believes that rehabilitation does not work. The current levels of recidivism, and the luxurious state of our (UK) prisons mean that custodial sentences are hardly a deterrent ...

If someone was trying to broke into your car and you shot him and then his dead, are you going to jail?

Whats the best weapon against intruders that dosnt kill them?
A tazar gun
B auto matic paintball gun holding metal marbals lol
C rubber bullet gun
D bean bag gun
E blank gun to scare away
F tranquilizer make them take a nap(probably ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, October 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links