Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Does a police officer have to read you your rights if he arrests you and take you to the police station?
Find answers to your legal question.

Does a police officer have to read you your rights if he arrests you and take you to the police station?

Steven C
Rating
Not when you are arrested but only if and when they ask you questions on a FELONY.

lametorg
Rating
Nope. You watch too much TV.

The Miranda warning only applies if you are in custody AND being questioned about the alleged crime in question. It has nothing to do with the actual arrest.

El Scott
Only if they take you in to custody (i.e. arrest you) and question you about a crime. Both of those have to be present for Miranda to be required.

It's a common misconception.

Kevin
Rating
You only have to be read Miranda Warnings before questioning if you are arrested or detained.

You can be arrested, taken to jail, and incarcerated without being read Miranda if you are not questioned.

trooper3316
Rating
Not all the time.

Two things have to occur before you are entitled to your rights. First of all, you need to be in custody. Second of all, the questions asked have to be asked in order to solicit an admission to a criminal act.

If he just takes you to the station, and asks basic questions such as booking information, rights are not needed.

Also, if he runs into you on the street, or comes to your house, and questions you about a crime, you are not in custody and your Miranda rights don't apply.

If he is quesitoning you about a non-criminal matter, then it doesn't matter if you are in custody or not, Miranda doesn't apply.

You can search Miranda v. Arizona for more info.

Wilkow Conservative
Miranda requires that you are read your rights before questioning, if you are never questioned then legally you do not have to be read the Miranda Warning. And that means before you are questioned, if you volunteer information there is no Miranda violation. Read Miranda v Arizona at any of the links below

California Street Cop
No. Only if you're in custody and interrogated about the crime and those statements will be used in court for your prosecution.

Otherwise we don't have to warn anyone of jack squat.

mbafromuiu
Rating
No, but he cannot ask you any more questions until he has read you those rights. In other words he can place you under arrests, then hall you to jail, and as long as you were not questioned until someone read you those rights.

Now then he can ask you questions, called fact finding, and based on your answers place you under arrest. But those questions and answers are not submittable as evidence. typically after you have been read your rights those same questions will be re-asked and your corresponding answers entered into evidence.

Golden
Rating
nope. reread the first post. he got it spot on.

actually, there are even exceptions to that rule. if they can prevent an immanent crime they can delay miranda.

walterknowsall
Rating
no your rights have to be read to you before questioning only.

christina h
Well that depends. some will tell you they have to when they arrest you and some will tell you its when they charge you with a crime. If they arrest you they should read you you're rights though.

Peter
Lol of course. Didnt you learn something about that in law class. The police officer must tell a person their rights. Havent you heard of the " You have the right to remain silent..." and it goes on, but to put it bluntly. yes.

JM
Rating
Yes - it is how the whole Miranda law came about. A guy named Miranda (last name) wasn't read his rights and his conviction was thrown out. It was a supreme court case.

Brian D
Yes.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

DO YOU THINK OJ would have been found guilty if The cops haddent Lied in court!!?

What should my son do? Legal Question?
He was ikn Chicago screwwing around. He got arrested for trespassing. He was released and a date for trial was set. It was freezing cold and he had no where to go. He called and we got him a ticket ...

Is it assault to squirt someone with a water hose?
My daughter wants to know if it is against the law...and if it can be considered assaulting someone??? BTW, a girl stole her boyfriend and instead of hitting the girl....my DD hosed her down. The ...

When the police are on duty, do they get free food that are paid by the city?
basically the question is: what benefits/compensations do the police get while on duty?

free donuts?...

In which hours the most crimes are committed?

Are there any of you who have a Supervisor younger than you, if so how do you handle it?

Assault weapons ban?
I have to write a paper addressing my opinion of the Assault weapons ban and im clueless. So far Iíve got the information on what it is and what it stands for. I want to say that I donít believe in ...

I put this in another forum but I need some advise. Please HELP!?
a detective has asked my boyfiend to help set up a known gang member. my boyfriend has no contact with this person but the detective thinks he does. what can be done to protect him the det is saying ...

Cell phone use and driving is bad? but what about when a cop is doin it?
We all know its illegal to talk on our cell phones while driving. But why is it everyday I see our local police officers on their cell phones just chatting away? Is this legal? I feel if these ...

I have 3 tickets and i have not payed them what will happen?
i have 3 tickets and i have not payed or served the hours and i already went to court and it past the court date. and still i have not completed the hours...what will happen?i am 15.....

How do you get out of a photo radar speeding ticket?
Is there a way around this? I heard that you don't have to show up to take care of the ticket, only because the ticket was not personally served to you.There is no way to prove you recieved it ...

I was at a party in the woods and the cops came, i ran and they tasered me in the back ,is that legal?
It was with a air taser, I live in Pa , it was by the state police, I had been drinking, in no way was i violent and dangerous, also they beat me over the head with a flash light and kicked me in the ...

What's the bestest way to support a male loved one who was convicted of a 2 year sentence in prison?

Is it possible to ban guns in America?? (like tightening the gun policies)?
Brother and Sisters, here in India, if you are spotted with a gun, you are finished. The cops will rush in and take you to the station and wont leave you until you say where the gun came from. Even ...

Going to Traffic Court today, need some advise.?
Okay, first time going to traffic court

I got a speeding ticket doing 69 in a 40

I plan to plea guilty and say the following, please tell me if this sounds good or change it.

What happens when you loose drivers license, social securty card AND birth certificate?
Where O Where would one start?
You cant get one without the other, so, where does one start?
Call social security dept?
You cant get a state id without some other form of ID.
you ...

Pulled over for speeding...?
So I am driving down the i-90 trying to get home from college and to my left is a patrol car I slow down...but haha...too late :( ...the red and blue lights go on and I am like about to **** my pants....

Hi i'm 16 years old and i want to know can a police men take me to jail if i'm smoking legal herbs?

(UK only) If you witnessed a fatal shooting and it was a friend of yours would you inform the police?
Just curious since theres been so many shootings this year and yet there still remains a wall of silance....

Do you think criminals that are convicted of a violent crime....?
should ever have freedom again? Why do you believe this?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links