Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Does an employer need your permission to run a background check on you?
Find answers to your legal question.

Does an employer need your permission to run a background check on you?

Additional Details
I got a job and they did not have me sign anything. All the sudden they rescinded there offer for something that happened 5 years ago.

backgrounds003
Rating
Yes and No. It depends on how much money you are going to be making. There is a federal law called the Fair Credit Reporting Act that requires a company to notify you in writing that they are going to conduct a background check on you...that is if they hire a third party agency, a background screening company to do the check. If an employer does the check themselves, they do not have to comply with the FCRA. Even if they do go through a third party background screening company, as long as you are going to be compensated with a salary of at least $75K, again they do not have to comply with the FCRA.

The form you must sign has to be a separate document from the application and must indicate your rights to receive a copy of the report if you request so. You can find a sample copy of this form here: http://www.crimcheck.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=1&nav=0,1

erick
Rating
As several have said, it varies by state law. What they can do without your permission, and frequently do, is run a credit check. That willl turn up enough information about your history and character for them to decide whether they want to proceed with you. As this costs them money, they'd probably only do it with someone they were seriously thinking of hiring

davidmi711
That would be regulated by state law. Here in Washington you sign a form when you apply for employment.

Leila C
Rating
nope. People do it all the time. They can run a background check, anybody can.

caldude1010101
Rating
Yes. You generally agree to one when you accept employment.

Make sure to read the fine print.

Lila
Rating
to do a police or state police check he has to have your signiture releasing the employer the right to that information. Unfortunately if you don't agree to do this you won't get the job. Good Luck!

Cadillac Dan
I think so.

suellen
Rating
yes they do.You have to sign a form

nothere
nope

starlet108
Rating
No xxxx

benimev1
No unfortunately,you left that at the door when you filled in your application form!

Julia
Don't know where you live but in California you have to sign an agreement.

neonlights1971
Bet if you read the small print theres something that says they have the right to do a back ground check.. what type of job were you attempting to get?
And it would I'd say have something to do with the crime that you committed 5 years ago.. which was?

PI_girl
By applying for a job, you are giving them permission to run a background check on you.

theresadennis
no but there is usually a place on the application you fill out when applying for the job that you have to sign that gives them permission to do it.

Cookie
Rating
YES in CA you have to have a signed consent form and if you don't, they can't, if they do without your consent, they can get in trouble for violating your rights.

anonymous520
Rating
I've applied to jobs where you sign a waiver saying it is ok, so yes they do.

Internet Explorer
You are giving them your permission when you sign the application, it is in there somewhere that says that they can run a background check on you.

Mr. Goodhi
No..

njagalamalaya
Rating
Yes, but its pretty much a given consent once you fill out and turn in the application. There's a box on the application that states: I do not consent to one and unless you check it they will do one. But beware...employers will see it as you are trying to hide something if you don't want one to happen.

hoppykit
You need to give signed consent at least in Illinois that is

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why 3 cars?
i happened to see an accident. the ambulance arrived and then the police cars?
I can understand 3 police men in one fourseater car, but why 3 policemen in four, four seater cars?
I thought ...

Jail or boot camp?
Do you think it would have been better if a pervert is put in boot camp instead of a jail?...

If you get hit in the back while you are driving is it automatically the other person fault?
I pulling in to my parking space and the security guards wife of my complex hit my bumper as I was pulling into my space... I say she was not paying attention... she says I pulled in frount of her I ...

Wife was having an emergency, we were pulled over and officer wouldn't let us go. Do I have a case?
My wife and I were on our way home from a family dinner yesterday. 1/2 way though the drive home, my wife proclaimed that she had gotten her period and started yelling at me to 'step on it'...

If i go to the cops will my parents have to get involved?
this weekend i was almost raped and these guys held a knife and gun to me. I want to go to the cops becaue they just threatened me on the phone, but i dont want my mom to find out. will my parents ...

Arrested...to teach person a Lesson?
A Male, 16 years of age.

Was seen drinking in the street by officers. One asked for Identification, and he produced a fake I.D Card.

The Officers then comfronted him, and ...

Why is the UK police force failing the people?
Everyone I talk to have not a word decent to say about the police,crime is out of control,police number crunchers conning everyone,monotonous drivel about how hard THEIR life is,how underpaid THEY ...

Where are the best jails in the world?
and why?...

How do you avoid getting speeding tickets?
Do they really ticket more at the end of the month? Do they look for things in particular? I drive at a reasonable speed. I just want to know if their is something I should never do or never be near ...

Was Cop out of line or me....what do you think?
I was doing 58 in a 50. I get pulled over by an officer, because I was breaking the law.

I was guilty..no question!! NO problem either!!

So we walks over to my car with a tooth ...

No offense meant to law enforcement, but get a life!!!?
I got put in hand cuffs tonight!! Panama City's finest being stupid. Like I'd be stupid enough to speed with a cop behind me. The dumb **** pulls me over (I was going 35 in a 35, I'd ...

Doesn't it seem stupid that police cars have sirens?
i mean why would you want to let the suspect know your coming when the element of surprise is so important?...

If you are a cop can you use your own hand gun or not?

Got a DUI. felt dizzy and pulled over on I-5 shoulder where officers found me asleep.?
Shameful, but... Is it better for my case that I was not actually driving when arrested?...

If i were charged with theft of £250 what sentence do you think I would receive?
I work in a nursing home manager gave me money to buy a residents christmas presents. Bought all the presents gave back change and receipts. She has now went to the police and said that the things on ...

I got stopped by the cop i didn't realise my license has expired by 3 weeks are they gonna do me for driving w
ith no license ?

I had to bring all my driving documents to the station and when the cop was writing the stuff down he noticed that the license was expired and said i might be getting ...

I'm being charged with assault and it's unjust!!!?
Okay
so a few weeks ago an intoxicated patron decided to grope me, He grabbed my breast so hard that it actually hurt - in turn, My first reaction was to turn around and hit him, So i did (in ...

Did you know that if a "police" person mounts the pavement and hits you, they can prosecute YOU?..?
.....It,s true! It,s just happened! Another member of Britains finest, thinking he is above the law (as they all do!), has done the very same! Broke the young mans foot and , not having the humility ...

Assault on a youngster?
someone i know was attacked by a gang they were over the age of 18 he is a lot younger i want to report it but he does not want me to incase they get him again what should i do i do not want to make ...

Ok a crime scene.....???????Makes you think!!!!!!????????10pts. who answers correctly this cold file!?
Scenario: Ok it take place in a barn, there is a dead man hanging off a rope three feet above the ground the man was a strong six foot man. The body was alerady decaying as if has been for two weeks. ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, August 28, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links