Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Does the police keep your finger prints & dna if your found not guilty?
Find answers to your legal question.

Does the police keep your finger prints & dna if your found not guilty?

if your found not guilty of a crime and have no previous criminal record does the police dispose of your photo,dna & finger prints automatically ,or can you get them disposed of by some other means

largslassie
In England and Wales yes but not in Scotland yet

wonkyfella
Rating
Yes, they will be kept indefinitely. And within a decade everyones fingerprints and DNA will be on a national database. So don't worry about it too much.

topgalant
Rating
YES... you are now a part of the system and Big Brother IS watching YOU.

They never get rid of fingerprints and DNA... part of the database the Government is collecting on all Americans.

Cheryl
Rating
Yes, once you are finger printed it goes into a national data base. I guess your criminal days are over, right??

Dixie
They usually keep your prints in a national data base. This way they can cross reference other crimes with them. The DNA is kept for some years,then disposed of. Don't worry if you don't do anything wrong you will not be arrested again anyway.

joeanonymous
Rating
I believe that in Canada, every police service has its own policy. Here in my city they are retained unless you specifically demand that they be destroyed.

A True Gentleman
Yes, they keep them regardless of innocence or guilt. We are a Police State now my friend and the British Governments ultimate aim is for the whole nation to have them taken and if you refuse you will be fined steadily until you are made bankrupt. This will stop the majority of those pesky and troublesome Libertarian types who desire to live in a free and just country.

Byte
Rating
thw law changed and now they can keep them

Erik A
Rating
Yes, it's so they can look back and check if you've done anything in your past.

bbasingal
Rating
At the time your fingerprints and DNA were taken they were entered into a national database (if you are in the US). You can not have them disposed of.

monkeyface
Rating
I believe they all go onto a general database & are not removed if you are found not guilty.
I may be wrong.

Kevy
yeah, they are starting to. also if you go to jail they are starting to take DNA samples to stick in the database

Cat
Rating
I believe you are forever on record, guilty or not. Once you're in the system, your there for good. Don't you ever watch Law and Order?

kathy w
Rating
In the UK if you are arrested for an offence your DNA and fingerprints will be taken even if you are later released without charge. Those details will also be retained on file.

Captain Sarcasm
Rating
No, the are kept.

babyboo197703820
yes they are put into a database file

They keep them.

Johnny
Yes they do, in fact all dna collected by the police is going onto a database.

The identity card will also have links to it.

Wren M
Rating
How can we get the right people?
Place yourself in the role of the Human Resource Manager of a large retail store. You believe that the most important people to further your work are your first line managers, the individual supervisors of each department.

You want to impress on them the important issues of making the right impression on new staff, from the time they come in for their first job interview until they have bee judged ready for a permanent contract 6 months into their employment
Explain to the group of 12 first-line managers how you see this programme unfolding and the specific points that they should consider as regards their role in each step of your programme

I just want to know what the meaning of the question is? what m I suppose to write? thanks in advance for any help!!!

Jamie79
In the UK yes, They keep them to eliminate people from serious crime - like murder, rape etc. Police Officers serving and retired will still have their DNA/fingerprints held on file to eliminate them also. In some cases Police Officers will have there DNA checked FIRST in connection with serious cases before members of public even having intelligence to known individuals for that offence.

Blue Steel & Lace
Your attorney can make a motion to have them returned, but they are generally kept by the investigating department.

ProfessorC
Rating
In most parts of the US NO. Your fingerprints are always part of the FBI system and DNA maybe. The arrest is there on your record unless you ask to have it expunged.

fasteddienspike
Rating
if you were found not guilty and it was not a plea bargin, then NO they will be distroyed along with the file on you. happydays again

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

When you call the cops....?
on a noise complaint, what do they tell the guy? I have really annoying neighbours with a bad a** sound system and all I hear is bass coming thru my wall. I went over there 6 or 7 times and politely ...

Should life mean life (as a prison sentence that is)?

Do you carry around a weapon where ever you go( gun, knife, etc.)?

Are coppers' uniforms blue or black?

Would you turn in a wanted person?
this person is wanted in texas for assault and battery on a police officer if caught he will serve 15 yrs. and he has 5 kids and a wife leave it alone or turn ...

Why is smoking weed illegal!?
i would like to ...

Dog in car all day?
Okay, so, for the past two days, we noticed that there is this douchebag that leaves his dog in his parked car outside my house all day. He was there yesterday for like 2 hours, possibly more, and he ...

Can you be arrested for giving a false name to an officer when that is all you have done wrong?
My boyfriend was riding in a car with his friend today when they were pulled over for having no tag. The officers searched the car and found nothing. They asked my boyfriend his name and he gave ...

What should we do with persistant thieves?

When you see a cop or cop car in your neighborhood, does it make you feel safe?

Should all UK police officers now be armed with guns?

Additional Details
BDM I did want to give you best answer, but I thought I ought to give it someone in the know. And no, a police officer shooting a suspected terrorist dead I would ...

Drugs in prisons?
pretend you are a correctional worker how can we stop drugs from being smuggled in prison?...

Was I right to call 911 on my boyfriend?
We have been together for over three years. We had an incident a couple years ago where he got violent and grabbed me by the neck and threw me across the room so I called the police and he was ...

What are the laws regarding use of force against intruders?
If a pub manager, who lives over the business, surprises two intruders in the early hours of the morning, does he have the right to defend himself and his business by use of force? The only weapons ...

Is it possible to escape from the cops during a high speed pursuit?

If I rent a reception hall and my husbands ex shows up there, can I call the police and have her removed?

How do i pay a court fine even if i cant afford to do it on the day?? are there any options available?
i have been caught speeding, and go to court next wednesday, however, there aint no money in my account for two more weeks. so how do i pay the fines?...

Can a police officer?
pull someone over when they run the plates on the car and see that the person the car is registered too doesnt have a valid drivers license? I wasn't speeding or doing anything wrong and it was ...

Was i being harrased? Not wearing Seatbelt ticket?
I was driving down my street today, a police had pulled someone else over on the other side of the road as i passed. I only live a few blocks from where the police car was. I got home, about 4 ...

Why is dogfighting worth several years in prison whereas molesting a child is worth just a little jail time?
On the news there was this disgusting story of a guy who molested a young child, after ALREADY going to jail for another molestation crime and then released, and then was sent back to jail for only a ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, July 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links