Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Help I got a subpoena and don't want to testify?
Find answers to your legal question.

Help I got a subpoena and don't want to testify?

I got a subpoena and don't want to testify. Three gang members jumped me and I'm afraid for my life if testify against them. The cops can't protet me.What can I do? thanks

Pegasus90
Rating
An attorney can attempt to quash the subpoena.

Citicop
No one knows what you do or don't remember.

But remember this:

It's the fact that people won't testify that lets them keep getting away with their behavior.

mr dance moves
wow, they probably want to get these guys for something thats bigger than them jumping you. you just gave them a reason to try to get these guys off the street. i cant say i wouldnt be afraid. but you can always plead the 5th. i would say just tell them what you say and what happened. im willing to bet these arent any real gangster you are talking about. hopefully they are a couple of wannabees and you get them off the street so the cops can focus on the real criminals. as far as going to court, sorry you have to go. or you will have a warrant for you arrest.

Debbie
Rating
Yes, you do want to testify. And yes the police will protect you. Go to the police and tell them the TRUTH. They will help you. They want to see these bad people put away, just as you do.

C
You have to testify if they subpoenaed you. If they are put away then you are more safe than if they are on the streets. I suggest you move if possible. Tell the police and prosecutor that you are in fear of your life.

CaLane
They would get away with the crime if you don't testify. I dislike gangs, and for that reason alone, you need to be brave and testify against them. If they did this to you, whom will be their next victim?

Enter into the witness protection program.

Humble E.
Rating
Do it, express whatever you need to say.

Mashiki
Rating
Testify. I can understand the fear, and issues you have with it. Press the police to protect you on it. We have a real issue in Toronto with gang scum walking free because people refuse to testify, and the thugs breaking them too. It happens a lot as well, and when it does the lake feeders walk free.

What happens later? A bolder crime, and someone getting killed. Crime escalates.

Thunderstruck
Rating
Well slydogg, don't be afraid just do what's right. These guys may or may not want to come after you anyways. If you don't testify, they'll know they intimidated you which will empower them even more. The best you could do is testify to the truth and nothing but the truth. Let the chips fall where they may. Sometimes doing the right thing is the hardest thing to do. Nothing changes if you don't, that's for sure. This is your chance to stand-up for yourself.

Kathryn L
Rating
tough cookie. you are required to testify. you can express your fear for retaliation and possibly testify in private or in disguise so they dont recognize you???? theres always the witness protection program.

im sorry to be so blunt because i know this is a very serious situation. you do have a right to be kept safe though

adrian m
do what you can live with.

Steven J
Talk to the prosecutor and tell them of your situation. That you will be forced to take a kind of 5th amendment, or get a memory loss.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is adjudication withheld a conviction, i have 2 misdemeanors with adjudication withheld, so is it or not a?
conviction? If I apply for a job and it ask if I ever got convicted of a felony or misdemeanor 2 what do I have to put? I live in florida. could someone please help me out....

Cca correctional officer salary or hourly wage?

Assaulting an Officer in PA?
I know a kid who recently "punched" a police officer while under the influence of acid. It was a whole big scene. It is his first offense as an adult, but he had assault charges as a ...

What is wrong with America's police forces?
I have seen 3 stories on the front page of Yahoo! about a football player who ran a red light, and the police are apologizing for the officer who gave him a ticket. I don't understand why he can ...

Does a cop have to tell you they are a cop if you ask via email?
Just a simple question... if you ask someone if they are cop through email, do they have to say yes they are if they are? No exeptions?...

Is racial profiling OK when the suspects are white?
If a gang of blond-haired, blue-eyed Scandanavian types rob a few banks and the police are out looking for them, will the PC junkies get their panties in a bunch if the police apply a little extra ...

Is it worth it to contest a speeding ticket?
I was apparently going 48 in a 35. This is in the Twin Cities in Minnesota, btw. I don't normally drive down that part of the road and the part of the road I do drive is 45mph, so I thought it ...

Trying to find out how much time will my fiance get for obstruction of a police officer. the d.a wants prioson?
ok the officer said he was hard to arrest and he put him in hand cuffs they said he twisted the cops thumb, and now they got him for aggravated battery. but now we are trying to get it drop down to a ...

Got a speeding ticket in a school zone?
Ok so i got pulled over going 36 in a 20mph school zone when in fact i thought i was going the speed limit which was 35. I saw the school sign lights flashing at which point i was driving 20mph and ...

Do You Support The Resignation Of Officer Powell Who Delayed NFL Player Moats?
The officer who detained pro-football player Ryan Moats from seeing his dying relative in the hospital has resigned in wake of the scandal.

I say good-riddance.

http://www....

Am i Eligible to become a Police Officer?
I have have a couple run ins with Canadian police officers over the years, however, I have never been charged with anything. I am currently 17. Am I eligible to become a police officer after College?...

Do I Have To Pay For This Parking Ticket?
So I got got a stupid ticket the other day for having my car parked out in the street when the street cleaner was going by.I forgot to park it in my garage.

Heres the problem:
There�...

The Kray Twins:Is it true that everyone was scared of them in jail,during the '60's and '70's?
I've been reading Norman Parker's "Parkhurst Tales"and he says that everybody respected them!True or false?...

Why didn't Kristen Stewart get in trouble for smoking pot?
If it was a normal citizen wouldn't they get sent to jail?? I know this is old news, but i just found out about it. Also i'm just using Kristen stewart as an example. Basically all the ...

How many of you agree that traffic violations are made to be worse by power trippin cops than they actually R?
I can remember getting a speeding ticket 64 in a 55 and this cop got angry with me because I was taking him and his ticket so lightly. I told him that not all of us fear cops.

I fluffed ...

After a 30 yr. spotless driving record I received a speeding ticket in a neighboring state.?
He told me that I was going 15 over on a rural highway. I am not sure that's true, as I applied my breaks when I saw him and didn't look at speed. Anyway,I want to fight it in court. Any ...

Are there any "gray' cops out there?
If i were a cop, I would be very gray....

Where do fake ids work and not work?
I am doing a speech on fake ids for my class and I'm trying to let people understand that they aren't really worth it unless its just for purposes of laughing for having a novelty ...

How senior is the rank of 'Additional Inspector General of Police' in India/Pakistan/Bangladesh...

Which states have collective bargaining laws governing law enforcement officers?
If you can leave a source for me, that would be great. Thanks!...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, October 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links