Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

How do i pay a court fine even if i cant afford to do it on the day?? are there any options available?
Find answers to your legal question.

How do i pay a court fine even if i cant afford to do it on the day?? are there any options available?

i have been caught speeding, and go to court next wednesday, however, there aint no money in my account for two more weeks. so how do i pay the fines?


G Man
If convicted and fined, they will ask you how you wish to pay, you are entitled to be given time to pay and if you suggest a reasonable timescale, such as, say £20-00 every 2 weeks, they will accept this, you are not the first and will not be the last that offers to make regular payments.
Make sure you do make the payments though or you could find yourself back in court

I am sure the court will allow you to pay it over a set period of time, weekly or monthly!! Next time don't speed if you can't afford to pay the fine!! lol

The best policy is just to be honest with the judge and ask for "terms" to pay the fine. I've never heard of this request being refused.

go to the court and get an extention

they will give you notice on how much to pay and when it needs to be paid by, its usually a few weeks or if you are on a low income they give you longer to pay it

I would have had my license suspended in MD if my father hadn't paid the $300 speeding fine. The clerk gave me 10 days to make full payment. So if you have relatives who are willing to spring for the cash - go for it.

Andy's Mom
you may be able to ask for an extension to pay the full fine or you can also make payments to the court. I have done it before with my outrageous speeding ticket, just be prepared for them to charge a small "fee" for making payments. Also if you didn't want to pay it at all you could ask for community service.

nick s
they will set up a payment arrangement with you. you pay a certain amount every month or check

Many courts will allow you to make payments or get an extension on your fine. The best thing you can do while in front of the judge is behave respectfully, show remorse, and provide honest answers and actual dates when payment can be made. At least that seems to be the key, in Los Angeles County Courts that I have witnessed recently.

ask someone for the money. for the most part if you send something like $10.00 or something that will make them happy that you are putting some kind of effort. Plus you knew you had to pay a fine it just didn't pop up you should have put money away, but that is neither here or there right now. its about fixing the problem now. good luck

The best option is to sell up and leave town. Nothing beats that when the law is on your rear.

Get yourself down to the docks now. Take Vaseline.

Most courts allow you to set up payments, some courts require you be on probation ( paying additoinal probation fees) while you pay off the fine.

** often the probatoin fees will be more than the fine itself.

But other courts merely allow you to arrange payments with the clerk.

Appear on the day you are scheduled and ask for a payment arrangement. Nine times out of ten they will either give you a certain amount of time to pay it, or they will offer you a payment arrangement. Just make sure that you make all of your payments on time, or it will go into warrant.

You must enter this information on your court forms and then the court will come to some arrangement.

Barking mad
Go to court and ask for time to pay, they are very leniant.

Tell the court, ask for time to pay. They can't get blood out of a stone. If the money aint there it aint there. Court will set up a payment arrangement.

As for getting loans from a family member, depends if a "family member" either has the money to lend you or is willing to do it - its not always possible!!!

Mopar Muscle Gal
get a loan from a family member

First go to court to see if there will be a fine. Then ask if you can pay it in two weeks. Some judges will grant that. Be aware that if you miss the date you set to pay, you will go to jail.

speak to the crack of the court

Maid Angela
Ask for time to pay


Ask the court for a payment schedule. Be prepared to show them pay stubs and bank records to prove it. And stop speeding. You can't afford it.

Yes you can do a payment plan with them and pay so much at a time. Or if your court allowed it you can work it off.

Tell the court clerk you need time to pay, in most counties they will allow you 30 days to pay, and if you need more time, you have to show up in person to ask for the extension. Make sure you pay that fine in the time you agree to or there can be consequences that range from bench warrants to added fees.

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

 I have a neighbor that hits golf balls into my backyard.?
What legal recourse do I have to stop him or do I have to wait until there is a personal injury?

BTW, I live in California.


 Don't you think this cop went a little too far?
Last year on 2/14/06 when I was at a train station getting ready to leave for a quick minute for something before getting on the train in 40 minutes, this cop just drove up to me as I was walking to ...

 If I do not want someone in my house and my wife allows them in when I am not home what are my rights? We own?
problems with in laws. I believe my wife will stand by my descision. However I am concerned....

 Do you think that hiv offenders should be given lesser sentences because of their status?
women and children get raped on a daily basis they get infected in the process. do you think that the hiv infected offenders or perpetrators should get lesser sentences when faced by the law to ...

 Can i have a police officer arrested?
A few days ago I had a dispute with a neighbor and I called the local police..2 came, a rookie and his training officer. me and my neighbor were screaming at each other the officers were yelling too, ...

 Can a wife be forced to testify against her husband?

 Is Pepper Spray an effective way to fend off an attacker?
If not - what is? I don't want to carry around a gun - maybe someday I would get one for my home but not right now.

I also carry a knife but don't think I could have the guts to ...

 Police left me to walk 5miles in the middle of the night - cruel or kind?
im asking because a couple of weeks ago, i was with a group of friends when this group of chavs came up to us, threatened us, stole our bags and tried to attack us.
When we called the police, ...

 I love being in restraints?
why does if fee so good to be handcuffed and restraint. I would like to find a jail or prison that would let me stay for awile as a prisoner. Is there some kind of fantasy jail or nut house that let ...

 Does a 17-yr. old male have a right to physically assault a 23-yr. old female for no reason?
The police threatened to take me to jail & not him, & they wouldn't allow me to press charges....

 What are some precautions I can take to avoid being gunned down by police?
i don't have a criminal record, and i know not to carry a black wallet, but what else can i do?...

 Do you think marijuana will ever be legal again?

Additional Details
Read- proof it was legal untill the 1930s




 Do police officers get commission out of tickets and if they do what percentage?
where does the money from the tickets go to?...

 Do you think that the police here (UK) are completely useless?
i ...

 A father punches his 16 year old son in the face causing a bloody nose....?
is this a Domestic Violence or Child Abuse and explane your answer
Additional Details
its just a question... im sure it probably happend a few times but im not asking because it happend ...

 What are the current laws on spitting on another human being?
I was recently spat on by a teenager in front of his mother, i wish to make an officail complaint to the police to make sure that anyone else who spits on another person does not get away with it. I ...

 How do you serve 2 life sentence i.e for murder ?
often enough i have heard of people serving 120 yrs + or 2+ life sentences in prison, what does the prison system do with the dead bodies .i.e after death ....do the dead bodies continue serving the ...

 Should I inform Police or the Neighbour?
I was told my neighbour was going to be given a beating for anti-social behaviour, should I tell him or inform police.
Or should I let on I don't know incase of any come back.


 Have you ever been arrested?

 Police have asked me to be their spy, do u think dis is dangarous?
my mum says dis is very dangarous. she says criminals will want to eliminate me coz iam will be an obstacle to them.
Additional Details
need 2 apologize for bad spelling i did not use ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, February 7, 2016 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links