Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

How do police find teenage runaways?
Find answers to your legal question.

How do police find teenage runaways?

What do they do?
how long do they look?
how much power goes into finding a single kid?.
where do they look?
do they keep looking in the same suspected areas?
.if they suspect a kid is in a certain place but have already looked there can they keep going back to look?
...i have a sociology paper and need any info on this....thanks : )

Jesse B
I worked missing persons for 3 yrs and when I got a teen age runaway it all depended on their age and if they were repeat offenders..

The older they were, the less effort was put into it. Typically 99% of the cases were kids that ran away on a regular basis, usually over the weekend. We would put them in TCIC/NCIC and call their parents and get an idea of where they were. We would send an officer to the address to check it out. Usually they were back home in a couple days.

We don't physically look for some repeat offenders because past history has shown they come back by a certain day. We just have the parents call us to let us know when they are home. We then take them out of NCIC

We usually look at their best friends house or girlfriend/boyfriends house.

We only go back to the places if new information indicates they would be there.

Gladwin
Rating
As long as it does not start invading peoples privacy........
1.look at their recent pasts, phone if possible, meet ups and generaly their life
2.they look for as long they have evidence, if no trail appears within a month or so, it will go down to paper
3.depending on the kid and state of society and his past, and how much evidence is avaiable will all vary in this factor
4.yes they can keep going back as long as they do not cause problems or too much hassle or worry in the area.

youthpastor1955
Or are you thinking of running away yourself?

1. They question everyone close to the child and get facts about close friends and relatives, things the chils enjoys doing, habits, description, anything that they can find out to give them an idea where to look.
2. I cannot tell you the exact amount of time they physically look, but the case never closes, and after awhile other organizations get involved like those pictures on milk cartons etc. But there are so many kids missing that the cops are overwhelmed. If it looks like a kidnapping, the FBI might get involved.
3. They look anywhere that the info they collect might lead them. (ie: if the child always wanted to be a star, the first place they might look is Hollywood)
4. Same as #3.
5. They may look in the same place many times if they think they missed something.

Hope this helps. Don't run away. If you are in trouble, seek help from the authorities, a teacher, a clergyman, or a family member that you feel safe with. I adore kids and it is a heart breaker when one goes missing.

churchofchrist26
I have a 14 year old runaway. The first time she ran away I thought the police were going to help, but they did not. They did not even make one phone call.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What do you think it takes to be in law enforcement?

What should I wear when reporting to jail?
I have to report to jail to serve a 6 month sentence later this month and I am not sure what type of clothing I should be wearing when I self-surrender. I was not given any specific instructions, ...

Do people who are diagnosed with tramatic brain injury get a lighter sentence for their crimes?

During police academy do you go home every night or do you stay the entire time your there?
can your family vist you?
do you get leave at all?
how hard is it?
and what is it like there? ( outside alot or inside alot or middle ground?)

I would prefer answers from ...

Could i be any use in the police force?
I have a degree in geography and would like to also join the police force. However i don't want my years of studying something i enjoy just go to waste. Could they be a dept withing the police ...

How do drug traffickers recruit people in transporting illegal drugs? how do they let other people know who?
they are and what they do? can anyone shed some light?...

What happens if you are a run away for only a day?
What if you just took your bike, wrote a note telling your parents you were going to be back by tomorrow, and then left on your bike to a town a hour away when you bike?

Could the police ...

Tell me who STOLED my Cow?
I want my Binky ...

3 years jail for throwing a pair of shoes at a visitor. What did the visitors get for killing innocent ones ?
There is more to it. The Iraqi's may want to see how killers of innocent peoples are dealt with in the USA.
Additional Details
The visitors are 'Black Water' and the ...

If you get pulled over by the police?
if you get pulled over by the police for a traffic stop as in going over the spped limit.not stopping at a stop sign etc.. can the officer ask the passenger for their name or ID...

Can passengers be charged with attempted murder if the driver hits a cop?
3 girls in the car and they are all being charged. You can read the article here. I am just wondering how they can charge the passengers. http://timesnews.net/art You may ...

Is there a unwritten code.if a firefighter dies.a fire fighter in the same crew.should not date his widow?

Where could I buy a British Police Uniform?
Im making a short clip which includes a police officer and I need the uniform for tomorrow, so a shop name (In London) would be preferable, however i would accept internet links also....

Why it is hurtful to jail an innocent person ,and who shares responsibility if discovered his innocence ?

Will I go to jail for failing my first drug test and if I do normally how long will I have to stay in jail?
and can I get my probation probably reinstated?...

For court cases, when does the "plea" happen? (guilty/not guilty)?
THe law requires n accused person to make a plea in relatio to the charges they are facing. Obviously this means guilty or innocent.
Does this affect the legal process? --from time a person is ...

What do I need to get a drivers license? under 18?
I live in Texas and I'm 16, I want to get a drivers license.....how much time money and what exactly do I need?...

Could the Josef Fritzl celler kidnapper case have been a Fraud?
No I am not mentally ill, sometimes you just have to approach somethings with an open mind.

Just like the Shannon Matthews case in England which the women and her boyfriend faked her ...

Petit larceny First time, Got a ticket for it and im 18?
I got caught shoplifting 45 dollars worth in items today and only got a ticket for it and i have to appear for court next month? is their any way i can keep this from going on my record. I know it ...

In indiana what happens if a prisoner is caught with drugs in prison?
A friend of a friend serving time in prison. was caught with pot. What will happen to him? How much more time can he get. Hes in Indiana....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links