Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

How long can a cop follow you before he pulls you over legally?
Find answers to your legal question.

How long can a cop follow you before he pulls you over legally?

Max Power
Rating
You are on a public road, the cop is on a public road. They can follow as long as they want. BUT, to burst your bubble a little. Most of the time we are not following you. We just can't get around you because everyone drives so damn slow whenever a police car is around

tnfarmgirl
He can follow you as long as he wants to. The road is a public right of way, honey.
It is annoying when they are behind you though isn't it?
I always end up driving way too slow when they are.

laughter_every_day
cops are required by law to change direction every four minutes. Not.

sensible_man
Forever. He doesn't "have" to stop you at all. He may be checking your plates for past violations. If it makes you nervous, pull into a business parking lot and exit your car. He will either keep going or let you know why he is following you.

LEO53
Rating
Until you mess up and commit a traffic violation!

Dan W
Cops have to drive the same streets you do. Could be they simply got behind you in traffic. If one seems to be following you, turn. If he's still following you, pull over to the curb. If he goes on, fine. If he pulls over behind you, then deal with being stopped. DON'T get out of the car at that point. Put your hands on the wheel and go through all the being stopped etiquette.

If you pull into a business, obviously, you can get out of the car and go into the business as if you're a customer. Then you can really find out if this cop wants to talk to you or was just following you for whatever reason.

Reston
Because it is legal, as in not against the law to follow someone in a vehicle.

Tony A
Rating
Who is to say he is following you and not just going in the same direction. Do you have a guilty conscience?

Kevy
Rating
Long as he wants, They will usually follow you for a few moments while your plates are ran, to make sure your not a convicted felon or something.

California Street Cop
In CA, there is no law whatsoever. I can follow anyone I want for as long as I want. Can't see a reason for doing it though.

Its just one of those old urban legends ignorant people pass down.

booman17
Rating
As long as he feels like it.

Sunday P
As long as he wants I think.

Crowdpleaser
Rating
As long as he wants. It's the same as if it was just another car.

Ahcho Nam
He can follow you until his jurisdiction runs out so if it's a city cop he can follow you to the city limits, a sheriff can follow you to the end of the county a state cop can go to the state border a federal cop can go to the US border.

Zero1
all day. if you see a cop following you do this. drive 5 mph below the speed limit. follows all the laws of motor vehicles.

if they pull you over keep your hands on the steering wheel. never give them eye contact. and never speak a word. you have a right to remain silent.

if they ask you for your drivers license and insurance give it to them. keep your lips sealed. if they ask you "do you know why i pulled you over?" just shake your head no.

if they ask you where you are going or what you do for work just point. say nothing. you're not required by law to speak.

Safety!
Rating
Around 3 turns i think. Then he has to either pull you over or go back to patrolling.

John Q.
I had a Ohio State Trooper follow me for 25 minutes; during which time at at red light he got in the left turn lane and just looked at me so I waived. Then when the light turned he got back behind me so he broke the law and I don't appreciate being harassed. I may write Ohio Congress to see if they know law abiding folks are being harassed. By the time the ride was over I was just drained and full of anxiety !

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Is it true that the bad guys can always get their hands on guns no matter what the law?
Just like the movie stars can get their hands on drugs no matter what the law is!...

Is it illegal to buy condoms, blow them up, throw them about, pop them and leave them about by accident ?
Because today we did . . .
We got 2 packs of flavoured condoms (strawberry & banana)
then blew them up & did what it said in the question
hehe .
Additional Details<...

Why wasn't Tatiana tranquilized?
Tigers are predators. Tatiana was killed for simply being a tiger. It wasn't her fault that she escaped, it was human error, is the human that should be punished for it. I do not accept the ...

Attention police officers! Please read and answer this if you are a cop, it is important?
I have a friend who told me that he was in Chicago, and he was suddenly surrounded by police officers who accused him of matching the same description of someone who had just pulled an armed robbery.<...

Why does prison time and/or the death penalty not deter crime?
prison time
death penalty
detering ...

How come I have never seen a motorcycle pulled over?
not that I want to be pulled over on my bike but I notice I've never seen a police officer pull a bike over even when there speeding. Is there a code in the books to leave motorcylist alone?...

I just got ticketed for ASHING my cigarette out window, but my ticket says i threw it out. should i argue it?
I was driving with my friend and this cop pulls me over for ashing my cigarette out the window, i did not throw it out cause i knew it was littering. this sounds ridiculous to me because by the time ...

What happens if you are caught in possesion of a class A drug?
if the drug is solely for personal use - not for supply?...

Death penalty?
in what states of the us is the death penalty allowed and what do you think about it?...

What type of life can someone expect with drug charges on the record?

If a cop comes to your door and you are having a party do you have to let him in?
is there some right against that? I was told that you didnt, and I have had the mindset where you listen to what the officer says...or bad tings happen..any clues?...

Can i put away for criminal damage?
i was arrested for shouting abuse at a car driver who nearly ran over my wife & i on a crossing and have been arrested for supposedly smacking the car and causing a 6" dent in the back panel ...

Because a person pulls the trigger does not mean that guns don't kill. Of course, guns kill. So some gun maker
coined a snappy but senseless phrase that says people do the killing, not the gun, and unintelligent people accepted a nonsensical statement. Just because a person pulls the trigger does not cancel ...

Man was chargd with manslauter cause he faled 2 have his baby ina cr seat whn it was hit shud he go 2 jail?

Why do some people call the police "pigs" or "the fuzz"?
hoping to join the police soon and never really thought about why people call the police pigs or the fuzz...anyone got any ideas?...

Helpppppppp, police?
well my mom ratted out me for stealing spray paint..and i have to go to the police place tomorrow..doesn anyone know what will ...

Do you play spot the policeman in your area?

How long does a wanted or arrest warrant last for?
This person was arrested and released by the judge with no bail and is being charged in fed court with mail fraud for making fake pay stubs for mortgages. He fled and never went to court. Will this ...

What should happen to the caught illegal immigrants crossing the border?

If you had a real life "get out of jail free card", what crime would you commit?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, October 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links